iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dewalt 735 Planer blades

Started by reelman65, September 07, 2017, 07:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelman65

I finally went through my first set of blades. I installed the second set that came with the planer, but i hate to throw away the the dull set. Anyone sharpening these?
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Savannahdan

I'll be watching this post.  Am under the impression you can not sharpen them.  Last time I checked the blades were pricey. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

thecfarm

I had a guy that was sharping my sawmill blades. One of those guys that could sharpen anything. I have a Ridgid that I think is like what you have. I asked him about sharpening my planer baldes. He said just use a stone on them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

My 733 planer has proper resharpenable blades, but I believe the 735 is supposed to be "single use". But I have read of people getting away with a very light honing on a stone or diamond card. You can't remove much material because the is no adjustment on the blades like a normal planer. But if you only remove enough material to get an edge back, it should still work, at least for a couple of sharpens.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

reelman65

oh yea. that makes sense, the way they are indexed. I guess we're stuck buying them.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

SlowJoeCrow

They make a spiral head for the 735, I think Brad_bb has one and likes it.  If you are going to use this planer alot, I would spend the money on this once instead of buying blades that you throw away. $0.02.

reelman65

I have a spiral on my jointer. I definitely think it's the long term plan. Although i would probably go for a grizzly floor model first. maybe the 15" one w spiral head.

Savannahdan

That's been my game plan but I need more room in the shop for a larger planer and someone to help me convince that mean woman I live with to let me get it. :D
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

reelman65

Quote from: Savannahdan on September 08, 2017, 12:41:29 PM
That's been my game plan but I need more room in the shop for a larger planer and someone to help me convince that mean woman I live with to let me get it. :D

my mean woman isn't the problem this time. I have been spending too much lately, need to lay low for a while. although i have a bunch of oak i need to plane for a workbench.

Al_Smith

Seems to me those blades are around 60 bucks .I'm not sure if that's one set or two .

Brad_bb

The amount of money I spent on replacing the 735 blades could have bought me the spiral head almost twice over already by the time I actually bought it.  I recommend that you not invest another dime in replacement 735 blades and get the Byrd Shellix spiral head.

-It's far quieter than the original.  You almost don't need ear protection.
-Easier to stop chip lines by simply rotating a cutter.
-Will cost far less in the long run.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,96885.msg1495187.html#msg1495187
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Al_Smith

Speaking of that,I've yet to figure out why in the world my Dewalt cups the plank ends .My recourse  is of course by  knowing no difference is to cut the finish boards about 4 inches longer but I must be overlooking something .The planer won't win any races but it does a nice job .Good Lawd planing about 100 BD foot really can fill several wheel barrows with chips .Makes good mulch if nothing else .

Stuart Caruk

I had one of these years ago. I own a couple surface grinders, so I made up a jig to hold them at the proper angle and simply kissed off the surface about .003 - .005" to clean them up and sharpen them. They worked fine. If you nick the blade though you don't have enough material left to clean up. You can sharpen anything though with the proper tools.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Brad_bb

Al_Smith, You're talking about planer snipe. you can avoid most of it on the dewalt 735 but lifting the end of the board as it comes to the last 6 inches of the board.  Try it.  It will eliminate snipe on 70 percent of boards and reduce it greatly on the rest.  This is just an estimate.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!