iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to abuse/destroy a perfectly good planer

Started by pineywoods, September 06, 2017, 10:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I recently took in a woodmaster 725 single side planer for repair. Owner says it leaves bad marks on the planed surface. A little investigation revealed this sequence of events, things you DO NOT want to do to ANY planer.

1..Planing some 4/4 lumber with severe dives and climbs down to 7/8 in one pass. Thick spots kept hanging on the bar across the infeed, so just removed the bar and lost it. I replaced the missing part with a piece of 2X2 angle iron. It will be cleaned up and painted.

2...Thick boards now don.t hang on the bar, but hard to get them started under the feed rollers, so removed the springs that apply down pressure to the feed rollers  ( and mis-placed them). New ones in the pic

3...Started getting kickbacks and marks on the lumber. Here's why..broken 25 inch planer blades,  NOT cheap..

I did ask, why not just lower the bed a bit and make 2 passes ?  OH, I can't find the crank to lower the bed.. ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Darrel

Yikes!

If you don't like your planer and it makes you mad, don't tear it apart?  Send it to me, I'll give it a happy home!  8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

DDW_OR

Quote from: pineywoods on September 06, 2017, 10:39:33 PM
..........I did ask, why not just lower the bed a bit and make 2 passes ?  OH, I can't find the crank to lower the bed.. ::)

yep, cant fix stupid. :( ::)
"let the machines do the work"

PA_Walnut

Quote from: DDW_OR on September 07, 2017, 03:04:12 AM
..........I did ask, why not just lower the bed a bit and make 2 passes ?  OH, I can't find the crank to lower the bed.. ::)

:D :D :D Some people should not be allowed to have corded tools. I had a Grizzly Tech tell me that he had a dude call about a problem with his 1023 table saw. After diving into the problem, he also discovered that the man wasn't using a blade guard. When he asked him why, he replied that he doesn't use it, "...because I am blind and it gets in the way!".  :o :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

Quote from: PA_Walnut on September 07, 2017, 05:09:01 AM
Quote from: DDW_OR on September 07, 2017, 03:04:12 AM

:D :D :D Some people should not be allowed to have corded tools. I had a Grizzly Tech tell me that he had a dude call about a problem with his 1023 table saw. After diving into the problem, he also discovered that the man wasn't using a blade guard. When he asked him why, he replied that he doesn't use it, "...because I am blind and it gets in the way!".  :o :o

That's one job I hated working at Grizzly was phone tech talk with someone that has not a clue.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

I almost cry when I see something like that, I love good tools. The trouble is the guy likely hasn't learned anything, will continue in his ways and expect future repairs done on warranty for free. I worked on the sales and tech desk for the Ridgid/Ryobi parts distributor, the consumers would phone us and complain when they couldn't get anywhere with the service center. One guy was mad when he couldn't get warranty on a new table saw, a call to the dealer revealed he had changed the plug so he could run it off 240 volts. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sawwood

I have the Woodmaster 18 for a long time with no trouble. The only thing that i didn't like was the dust collector
would not pull all the chips out. A lot was coming out the in feed side. I talked to Pineywoods and he said i might
try lowering the hood down. I did and A lot, no more chips coming out that side.

Sawwood 
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

caveman

Some of these can be attributed to ID 10T errors.
Caveman

DDW_OR

3...Started getting kickbacks and marks on the lumber. Here's why..broken 25 inch planer blades,  NOT cheap..

if the 725 is going to be yours i would get the spiral cutter head.
less chatter, tear-out and quieter.

will be getting one for my 725.
"let the machines do the work"

Don P

I bought a planer "that wouldn't plane worth a flip". It was cheap, figured I'd give it a try. Worked pretty good after I turned the knives around  :D.

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pineywoods

Don, I've seen that one also. Took the blades out for re-sharp and re-installed them backwards. shoved in a wide ash board and actually cracked the head, letting the blades go loose...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

coxy

but but if it wasn't for us stooped people some of you would be out of business  :D :-X

MikeON

Quote from: sawwood on September 07, 2017, 12:52:48 PM
I have the Woodmaster 18 for a long time with no trouble. The only thing that i didn't like was the dust collector
would not pull all the chips out. A lot was coming out the in feed side. I talked to Pineywoods and he said i might
try lowering the hood down. I did and A lot, no more chips coming out that side.

Sawwood
I also have a 718.  I took the cover off and made one of plywood, with the dust port relocated on the infeed side instead of on top.  This put the port where the chips were going anyway.  Reduced the escaping chips by about 95%.  I plan to modify the original cover and re-install it when time permits.
The original design had the chips bouncing off the inside front of the cover and scattering all directions, with some percentage being collected by the dust port.
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Thank You Sponsors!