iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Humble Operations

Started by Bert, September 06, 2017, 02:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Took my camera for a walk today- here is my humble part time operation.

The mill

The trim saw

The log dog

unloved/homeless lumber

lumber headed out

a pile of dust

a waste of time... but fun

junk loader/ junk logs

Saw you tomorrow!

Whitetail_Addict

Hey whatever works for you. I have a small mill that i fumble around with myself. I enjoy the time... great for stress relief from the daily office job! It makes me a little bit of money too. 👍
Your dog is awesome. Mine has been gone a little over a year now. By
2010 WoodMizer LT28, John Deere 4520 w/ FEL, 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel, 2007 Polaris Ranger XP 700, 127 Acres of Northeast hardwoods in New York's Whitetail country

Hilltop366

Thanks for the tour, wondering what is the darker parts on the unloved lumber.

Bert

Hey Thanks. Just hoping wanted to show what I work with. We log part time/ saw part time/ and have a full time 40 hr job too. The dog is a replacement from the first lab I had. This one is good, but nothing like the first. I know how hard that is to see your best friend go. I cried like a baby.

The darker parts on the unloved lumber is just lumber stain from sitting around and we had a sideways thunderstorm right before i took the pics. Some of it is wet/ some isnt.
Saw you tomorrow!

Hilltop366

Got it, thanks.

Who knows if the unloved lumber gets ugly enough it will be pretty again.

Skip

Know the feeling Bert, lost our chocolate 2 months ago.

sealark37

I have been privileged to be pals with several Labs in my time.  I do miss every one of them.  The last one is 13 years old, and will be my last.  Regards, Clark

Kbeitz

So... Whats wrong with your loader?
And what part of Pa are you from ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dgdrls

That's a dandy set-up Bert, smiley_thumbsup

D

thecfarm

I enjoyed the humble pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

Ain't nothin' wrong with humble! 

Awesome log dog too. My son lost his black lab a month ago but still has one that looks about like yours.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Bert

K- Im about 90 minutes southeast of Pittsburgh. I can walk to WV. That loader lost another engine (3) and I walked away from it. Its been in the weeds a good 2 years or so. It runs an international engine and they are hard starting and not very durable in my opinion. Farm tractors ok... industrial loaders no. Someday i might re-power it with a detroit. Started using skidsteers and find them to be a whole lot handier.

Dogs are an important part of any lumber operation. The problem with this one is hes self centered :D. He gets bored and goes home. My old lab would hang in there right with you all day even working in the woods. Hed go off about 100 yds and lay down and keep an eye on you when the timber started tipping. Never got in the way, but was there. I really miss that dog.
Saw you tomorrow!

moodnacreek

Were you at my place with a camera ?  I guess not, I don't have a swing saw. Haft to get one. Anyhow your mill looks just right to me.

Knute

Looks very good to me, complete with a buzz saw.

bandmiller2

Bert, nothing wrong with humble, mills like yours are what built this country. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

YellowHammer

I like it, also.  Very nice.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like a good place to hang to me.  :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Skip

You must be close to me Bert, 3 miles from PA line. Could throw some work your way  if interested .

Trapper John

Nice setup.  With the mandrel under the track, is the mill a Belsaw?  What do you use for power? 

Darrel

The mandrel was under the track on a Belsaw, but I'm think that this mill looks built a little heavier than any of the belsaws I've seen.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

schakey

Real nice "humble" operations. We lost our yellow lab a few years ago,the best friend a person could have. He loved to get to our property in West Virginia.
When I drove for Roadway,sometimes I had to make a delivery to a customer in Pa been on a lot of 2 lanes in Pa and went past a few sawmills but could never stop to nosey around.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Bert

I call it humble mostly because none of it is fancy. Just alot of old equipment pieced together to make something. The mill is a frick and powered with a 6 cyl detroit. When I started sawing we began with a Timberking bandmill. I dont remember the model but it was fancy. It was all electric power, turner, clamps, setworks etc but just found it too slow for what we do. Smaller bandmills definitely have their place but jamming out lots of dunnage, cants, etc in a short amount of time isnt it. We sell a little grade as it accumulates but is pretty rare.
Saw you tomorrow!

reelman65

what is "Grade"  ??  graded lumber?
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Thank You Sponsors!