iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Aspen as framing lumber

Started by TreeStandHunter, September 06, 2017, 12:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeStandHunter

I have a few acres of mature aspen that i have felled to make way for deer bedding/cover. I do not currently have a barn and am curious what you guys think about using the aspen for framing lumber? I have seen some tongue and groove wall panelling but i have not read anywhere about its use for framing...i also have quite a few white oaks with a few reds mixed in and i know i could frame with those but i would prefer too use the aspen if i can.

In the process of building my own mill.

1938farmall

Many old-time farmers used aspen(popple) for all kinds of outbuildings.  if kept out of the rain it will last many decades.
aka oldnorskie

chevytaHOE5674

My neighbors house is built entirely of aspen. Sawed on sight and nailed up green. As long as its kept dry its as good as anything. If it gets wet it will rot in a heartbeat.

TreeStandHunter

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 06, 2017, 06:16:43 PM
My neighbors house is built entirely of aspen. Sawed on sight and nailed up green. As long as its kept dry its as good as anything. If it gets wet it will rot in a heartbeat.

Did they get alot of warping when it dried? I plan on everything being out of the weather i just assumed id have too air dry it before using it

Magicman

TreeStandHunter, I for one am glad that you turned your name around.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeStandHunter

Quote from: Magicman on September 06, 2017, 07:01:32 PM
TreeStandHunter, I for one am glad that you turned your name around.   smiley_dizzy

Haha ya i can see howbit could be confusing. Jeff was kind enough too change it for me

Don P

Corley5

Our house is built with big tooth aspen.  Cut the trees one day, sawed them into lumber the next and nailed them up the third with ring shank and ardox nails.  We waited a few months for it to dry down before hanging drywall.  Aspen will warp and twist in stickered piles when it dries.  It's best used green 8) 8)  Don't skimp on nails ;) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Many times folks have to use what they have.  I sawed Tulip Poplar framing lumber today and it will probably all be nailed up next week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TreeStandHunter

Thanks for the info everyone!

I was a little discouraged because I had been told that Aspen will not do well with framing but I now feel up to the challenge for building the barn.

Magicman

Google is your friend.  There are many charts, etc. concerning the strengths of various lumber species.  LINK  Also do not overlook the Red Toolbox on the left.

rjwoelk

Quote from: Magicman on September 06, 2017, 07:01:32 PM

x2  :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!