iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ambrosia or powderpost?

Started by hackberry jake, September 06, 2017, 11:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Deese

Are the holes larger than 1/16" diameter?
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Beavertooth

They sure do pretty work whoever did it.  :) :)
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Don P

Powderpost leave a wood colored hole, they are eating the starch in the wood. Ambrosia beetles farm fungus and feed on that so their holes are dark colored. I've never seen it leave that much black though, that looks like weathering or some kind of chemical reaction going on in the hole. That would be the long winded way of saying, "not a clue"  ;D

qbilder

First pic looks like they were cutting a pretty accurate finger joint! 
God bless our troops

YellowHammer

I'm no entomologist, but it looks like classic ambrosia beetle damage, with each of the offshoots a gallery for the young to mature. 
The black is the telltale, but so is the organized hole structure. 
Anyway, that's my impression.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SlowJoeCrow

Based on the first picture, it was a West Virginia Coal Miner Bug.

WDH

Yes, ambrosia beetles. 

PPB tunnels do not have the black color and the tunnels are filled with frass (excreted cellulose) whereas ambrosia beetle tunnels are open. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I was thinking ambrosia beetles but I was waiting for Danny to definitively identify. 

The syp that we sawed a few weekends ago and have had a fan blowing on since is covered with mold and has ambrosia beetles in it.  It has been incredibly humid here and hot as a fever.  We have a small job as soon as Irma clears but we will most likely save most of our syp to saw when it cools off (December).

It is hard to see in this picture but the ambrosia beetle will have "horns" on the rear end.  This beetle is in a live oak but the black ring around the bore hole is still evident.

Caveman

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!