iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looky what I found growing in my yard.

Started by Jeff, September 06, 2017, 09:15:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Usually I weed whip around this scarred up white oak on the outskirts of my lawn. This year I did not. Look what i just discovered growing at the base.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

curdog

Don P

thecfarm

I get something like that with blue berries. So I have the real ones?  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Yes, I think they are both medicinals but yours is the one that is sought after.

Autocar

You see alot of those plants in my area , anyone know what there called ?
Bill

Jeff

coxy

ok what  does it do  what is it used for  ??? ??? :)

joeziz

Don P

I had to google, I just knew they were medicinals but didn't know what for... you're almost always safe with herbs saying "for female complaints". We must try anything for a complaining female  :D

False Solomons Seal;
http://www.psu.edu/dept/nkbiology/naturetrail/speciespages/false_solomon%27s_seal.html

Solomons Seal;
https://solomonsseal.wordpress.com/category/how-to-use-solomons-seal/page/2/

I noticed they are related to Lilly of the Valley, we had a buyer through a few years ago that wanted us to plant that for herbal remedies. Another medicinal aside, Michelle just finished flagging 300 black cohosh plants in the woods for harvest, she'll flag another 100 before the tops die back and then go harvest in a month or so, snapping off a node and replanting that to start the replacements. All of our 'sang had been poached years ago but a bird or the seed bank must have produced one. That is the big money root but it is hard to protect from poachers. I like to just know there are a few plants carrying on.

Roxie

Quote from: Don P on September 09, 2017, 06:01:20 PM
We must try anything for a complaining female  :D

....(steps in, clears throat)...
Say when

coxy

Jeff

thecfarm

On the road looking for elder berries,to use for jam,I saw a bunch of false Solomon's seal.It was on a dirt road. If I would not of seen this post I would of missed them. Saw about 10-12 and I bet there was more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don P

Apparently Roxie saw this post too  :-X :D

we talked to some guys from MO that were going great guns with elderberries... google... here they are;
http://shop.riverhillsharvest.com/
They were looking for more growers a year or two ago.

Jeff

We used to have a place where we could pick bushels of elderberries (un-cleaned). We picked there for years. Then one late August, we went to check the crop, and that summer they had widened the old gravel road and prepaired it for paving and completely obliterated the couple of hundred yard long patch that ran along the ditch.

Thank You Sponsors!