iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clark Loader- weight capacity

Started by nativewolf, September 19, 2017, 02:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Guys, trying to figure out if I should make an offer on an old Clark 75 loader. 

Pros- right next door, owner looking to sell, engine used to run,
Cons- tires not good, owner passed-widow can't find records,

How much weight can these handle?  I would use it for moving mulch (should be perfect), and logs (bigger question mark). I understand parts can be hard to come by- I trade heavy mechanical work for consulting, lumber, etc so I have access to a good old school mechanic and shop. 

Anything in particular I should be looking for?

Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Id reckon lift capacity is north of 10k. 

If you plan to move logs with a bucket expect a clumsy machine.  If you have the means to make a dedicted fork setup with a hydraulic thumb, youll be happy.  Without the thumb is doable but frusterating.  When youve got two logs on the forks and one tips off to the left then the other off to the right and now youre driving around with a big log X and a scowl.  Happens to me all the time, still need to build a thumb.

I have rigid forks on my bobcat and floating forks on my articulated machine.  They both aggravate me for lack of a thumb but idsay the rigid is better.  Floating forks would just flop around once you curled down for vertical sorting.  The rigid with thumb and full curl is best possible setup  think chopsticks.  You can actually unload pretty well with that setup 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Thanks, it should have enough hydraulic capacity for a thumb and that's a good idea.  However I'd need to leave the thumb on as I swap out buckets and forks.  I scowl too much already, life's too short too.

Damned if the hospital almost didn't kill my wife on a simple simple surgery last weekend.  Just went to prove how short life is and not to waste it, scowling or fiddling with a log X.

BTW the plate says 75DGM for model.
Liking Walnut

mills

I used to load logs with a 45. A little small, but it worked great on tight landings. I used it every little bit even after I got the knuckleboom. It got the work done on the small jobs, and places where the knuckleboom couldn't go. I don't know the capacity off hand, but it would load everything except the monsters. Even then I could lift one end, back the truck up to it, and then push it in with the skidder. Tough little loader. Shoot, it even skidded it's own logs several times when it didn't make sense to bring in the skidder. Or just packed them out of the woods. I'd still be using it but the brakes needed to be redone and then the motor locked up. Before I could tear it down I came across a good deal on a Case loader. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I would think the 75 would work with a set of dedicated forks. Volvo still carries some parts, but most are available at your local truck parts store.

mills

Whoops... senior moment!

Mine is a 35. Thought about that as I hit the send button. :D :D :D

ehp

what motor in it ?  I have had one that had a 471 in it and another that had a V8 cummins in it , Loaded a lot of gravel with both machines

treeslayer2003

i had a 75 straight frame with a 4-53. we loaded trees with it, big ones. on the biggest trees it would get tippy and ass light, other wise it was a good machine. transmission is bullet proof, same trans as clark log skidder. worst thing was the steering axle was wore bad and it was pretty hard to load on a lowboy.

ehp

I think the V8 was a 75C , that was a good loader , had a 85 as well , now a 125

nativewolf

Thanks guys.  The more thoughts/discussion on engines, leaks, wear points the better! 

So if they brakes aren't shot, transmission does not sound like dying rabbits, engine runs and I am paying scrap price it would be ok?  I see a bucket under it so I assume it is leaking fluids at a pretty good rate somewhere.  I don't think this is articulated so it is rigid with 4 wheel steering I guess. 

I am having trouble getting pictures off the phone but I'll post a picture/pictures as soon as I can. 

Ideally I'd buy a skytrack telehandler but that's a few years out.  This is literally 400 yards from my property and its for sale. 

Liking Walnut

TKehl

That looks like a nice sized machine.  Been looking for something like that myself.

Most of the straight axle ones I've seen have rear steering only.  Not a big deal, but wouldn't want you to be surprised. 

Real hard to go wrong at scrap price.  The only thing to watch is if the repair bill would put you over the price of one that doesn't need repairs.  Then you just part it/scrap it and should at least break even.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mike_belben

Yeah A lot of clark michigan and hough were rear steer only.  A solid axle is the strongest type so it makes sense.   Look at ratings on steer axle vs straight, its about double when you delete the kingpins and knuckles.  As loaders got bigger they all went articulated because its stronger and cheaper.  The frame joints are nothing compared to sourcing 20 ton steers.

The worst challenges are typically engine full of water and locked up ("oh, the starter is bad" ... Bring a wrench and sockets to see if itll roll over..

...and hydraulics full of rust.  Gearboxes and diffs will rust on the topside thats not submerged in oil too.. But so what, a ring and pinion can tolerate a little rust.  What cant is hydraulic relief valves.  Theyre steel in steel most always.    If the seats dont seal you get low pressure.  If the poppets wont unseat because theyre frozen in their bores you get explosively high pressure.

A man can work restorative miracles with lapping compound, sandpaper, brake cleaner etc.. But inspect it with a mind for getting in there and accessing  these vittles that need the TLC.  Some are easier than others.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Thanks Mike.  Wish you were a bit closer to Northern VA. 
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Glad im not.. DOT in virginia seems to get worse every time i sneak through!  Best of luck bud.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!