Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

bucknwfl

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

samandothers

Andries,
During Hurricane Matthew I worked with some of the Gagnon crews from NB.  They were a great group of hard working guys.  Some where retired that come back and work during storms like this.  They all hit ground running and after finishing one job were ready for the next.

They were on their way to Fl then as I recall but flooding and issues blocked their path and they were released to come help down near Darlington SC.

It is dangerous work and the linemen must stay focused. Thanks Bucknwfl and others!

caveman

Our son in law is a lineman.  He worked 106 hours last week repairing hurricane damage.  Restoring power to their last customer, they used a swamp buggy to haul in poles to an address in the Green Swamp.

Several of my neighbors and I had a lot of trees blown over or broken off but none of us had any significant structure damage.  The ground was already saturated when Irma arrived.  Irma blew for a long time and brought about an additional foot of rain.

A few blown over and broken trees covering boat trailers and a shed.

One of 8-10 oaks that took out the 80 something yo neighbor's electricity and access to her house.  A couple of younger neighbors and I cleared a path to her house.

This hawk had been hunkered down somewhere during the storm and was not going to be bothered by me.

The cattle barn at school lost 25 or so metal roof panels.

I still have to finish cleaning up this live oak that fell by the mill shed and kiln.  This is kind of like petting a rattle snake with all of the tension and potentially dangerous situations removing limbs.  You may be able to see one of our trailers which got smashed a bit by the tree when it split.

We have had two fires burning for nine days now getting rid of debris.

Internet and cable was finally restored today and all of my neighbors' have electricity again as of yesterday.  I have not seen many pictures of SW Florida but I am certain they have a lot of damage based on the duration and the strength of the storm here.  The school kids are sending a semi load of livestock/pet feed and supplies south next week.
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thank you for the compliment Danny.  I am glad to have reliable access to the FF again.  This is the only day this week that I will get home from work early so I probably ought to go out and burn some more and retrieve my generator from a neighbor and see if my other neighbor wants some help with his trees (looked like a bomb went off on his 10 acres), and...

Anyone have any ambition to spare?  A/C, electricity, internet, cable- I think they make us comfortable and soft- glad to have them all back.
Caveman

SwampDonkey

We've had AC on up here for a few days, and it's only a humid 80's. Mighty nice to have. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

grouch

caveman,

Thanks for the update and photos! Take care when petting those rattlesnakes; don't want to read about further injuries in Irma's wake.

It's a shame those broken limbs and trees can't be sent north where it will soon be needed for firewood.
Find something to do that interests you.

Claybraker

I went without power for about 24 hours, not an issue. Worst damage I know of in the family, is my cousin Calvin that suffered some minor damage to his businesses in St Marys Ga. There is a reason we call them the greatest generation. http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2017-09-20/st-marys-waterfront-91-year-old-calvin-lang-vows-rebuild-after-irma.

Raider Bill

We still haven't had brush and limbs picked up.
Still a few people without power but not many.
There's not a fence panel, picket or 4x4 to be had.

I have to replace my fence. Lasted 25 years, time to go. I'm bummed. Looking at 400ft.
Thinking instead of buying panels I'm going to string 3 2x4x16's horizontally then deck screw pickets board on board to them.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

Where do all the native wildlife go . You hear about a few displaced aligators and snakes moved during the flood like Jacksonville . When Super Storm Sandy hit parts of NYC , they expected to see dead rats . But they never found them most believe they went out into the ocean and drowned. Still no bodies ? Miami , Tampa and Jacksonville must have lost some animals . I think the Florida Keys lost 75% or more to the ocean . Just wondering.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Ox

That's a very good question, red, and one I've never thought about.  ???
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

caveman

A steer that was owned by a student died at school a day or so after the storm due to injuries sustained in Irma.  The frogs' chorus was not abated, even during the height of the storm, cicadas still do their thing, deer and turkeys are avoiding the flooded areas here, squirrels are still here but there may be few less of them, lizards and snakes seemed to fare well.  The birds looked weary on the Monday morning after the big blow but they too managed.  We are not on the coast but animals in general are pretty resilient when natural events are concerned.

Caveman

Raider Bill

Gators hunker down under water, Birds hang on tight. Rats go to washington

LeeB

and the snakes go where the rats go.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Raider Bill

They still haven't picked up the storm debris. We are getting regular twice a week trash pickup but all the storm debris sits in big piles everywhere.

Apparently the trucking companies that were contracted to do storm cleanup went south to Miami/lauderdale/wpb areas because they pay more.

Can't find anything to build a fence with yet but figure that will loosen up soon.

Lot's of under the table "contractors" from up north doing their magic tricks.

sandhills

Just before it hit I went to the lumber yard to get 2 sheets of plywood, I told the guy I sure was glad I wasn't building a house and he said you don't want to be building anything right now, between the forest fires and the hurricanes.  I believe him but still had to josh him a bit about his price gouging  :D.

Mooseherder

The debris hasn't been picked up here either.  It's everywhere.  They must of all contracted with FEMA in the Keys.  I also have so much more to add to the pile but I am waiting for cooler weather to do the rest. 

caveman

Debris is being picked up here now.  I picked some cedar out of some debris piles last night.  I have had one fire burning since Sept. 12 and another went out after 9-10 days.  We just pushed the trees that fell across the road to the shoulder but we are burning most of the trees that blew over or broke off on our property (some are being saved for sawing).

Caveman

Raider Bill

If we tried to burn brush here the fire dept swat team would swoop down and anoint me with a massive fine.

grouch

Have chippers been running ever since Irma?

Hope some of those trees are salvageable.
Find something to do that interests you.

Raider Bill

I haven't seen a single chipper around here. Nothing in this area is salvageable. Water and live oak mostly.

caveman

Raider, just tell them when they come to douse your flames that they are of a ceremonial fire that you later intend to cook on.
Caveman

Mooseherder

I finished picking up the mess today.  Now have to trim the damaged limbs and fronds that didn't fall.
We burn here usually with no issue.  Going to burn it in a few minutes. ;)

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!