iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

You guys are using the wrong "Moose Bait". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

All I know is that I'm worried as all get out for all of my friends, some of which are like family to Tammy and I.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bucknwfl

Unless it shifts west into our territory look like we will be heading out first thing Monday morning or soon as it passes. Myself and two other utility foresters with all our tree crews as well as another 100 personel line crews will be heading to Georgia. I pray you stay safe.

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

grouch

Find something to do that interests you.

caveman

I just got up to look at the 5 a.m. update and if it follows the European Model or deviates a little more to the west (the talking heads on the news channels say left) the whole peninsula will be on the "dirty side" of the storm.  The Gulf coast is going to get hammered.  In one of the models, the hurricane wind force graph looks a lot like a skinning knife preparing to eviscerate SW Fl.
When the sun comes up we are heading to JMoore's (John) to help board up his house and then we will put metal roofing panels over some of my parents' glass doors and large windows.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2017/IRMA_graphics.php?product=wind_probs_64_F120   
Caveman

Savannahdan

Its path looks a bit more favorable for Savannah.  Have 1 more house to board up this morning.  SIL got sidetracked yesterday doing preparation work for one of the large hospital systems here.  He was able to get down in the historic district to board up our oldest daughters front windows.  She was signing his praises via texting.  I95 was moving at a snails pace northbound yesterday.  Everyone stay safe and let us know if you need help.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

Looks like you will get dead centered Raider Bill and Wildbill.  You might want to mosey on out  :).  There are a number of Forum members in the path of the Storm.  Hunker down. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Not looking good no matter the track it actually takes.
Hope all in the storm area are safe and sound.
Goat, I remember Hugo.
A guy wanted me to take my mill down and saw storm damaged trees.
I politely declined.
We in the relatively benign NE have no clue what you folks are facing.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Mooseherder

The Weather channel people were barking at each other earlier and need a timeout.
News showing gridlock on the highway from yesterday is bad form.  They need to show what is going on now and be channeling people out.  Obviously fuel needs are almost impossible to meet as hard as they try.  My old company delivered 2500 Tractor trailer loads of water before closing last night.  7500 loads wouldn't have satisfied demand.  I guess saving tap water ahead of time is also bad form. ::)

WV Sawmiller

Buck,

We keep following it and so far it does look like it will miss you there in the Fla panhandle as currently predicted. Mom and my brother are 8-10 miles from you in Bluff Springs so we are hoping you all stay safe.

The bottom line is no matter where it hits in the USA we are going to have FF friends and associates we care about affected by these storms and we pray they are all okay.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 09, 2017, 08:00:18 AM
The Weather channel people were barking at each other earlier and need a timeout.
News showing gridlock on the highway from yesterday is bad form.  They need to show what is going on now and be channeling people out.  Obviously fuel needs are almost impossible to meet as hard as they try.  My old company delivered 2500 Tractor trailer loads of water before closing last night.  7500 loads wouldn't have satisfied demand.  I guess saving tap water ahead of time is also bad form. ::)

snowstorm

Raider Bill

Latest update is it's headed right for us here in Tampa Bay. We have been getting ready as much as possible. It's amazing how slow water freezes as we try to get all the coolers full of ice.
Wild Bill has to be at work tonight at midnight as he is termed essential, Mila my Grand daughter and their 3 dogs will be here along with a long time employee and her mother and husband who are in a evac zone.

We have a internal concrete [safe room] room at my house. High water won't be a issue for us [hopefully]

Time will tell.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

Snowstorm, that would be Publix Supermarkets.

I have lost confidence in any predictions of what this storm will do. I will have essentials ready for a quick exit to wherever in whatever direction. It could cross back over Fla and go back to the Atlantic or continue west to Mexico, or anything in between. The only thing I know is, it is going to kick somebody's butt!

I don't get this obsession with bottled water!! ::)  I'll bet that half of the water that has been purchased has been left behind by the evacuees.  :D :D

I am going to have some suggestions for the Emergency Management folks when this thing is over!! They are doing a great job in Florida with what they have, but I am seeing things that could improve what they have.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

bucknwfl

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 09, 2017, 09:35:39 AM
Buck,

We keep following it and so far it does look like it will miss you there in the Fla panhandle as currently predicted. Mom and my brother are 8-10 miles from you in Bluff Springs so we are hoping you all stay safe.

The bottom line is no matter where it hits in the USA we are going to have FF friends and associates we care about affected by these storms and we pray they are all okay.

Mr. Green I hope it does but just in case I have prepared all I can to make things easy on the Mrs. If we don't have power  since I will be gone.  Stay safe all

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

caveman

Raider Bill, hang in there.

John (JMoore) and I tore out about 60' of my parents' dock at Anna Maria on Labor Day.  If we knew this storm would have their place in its sights, we would have let Irma do it for us.

This morning John and I covered the windows in his house and then we covered some of the more vulnerable ones at my parents' house next door to mine.  When we ran out of plywood we used corrugated metal roofing and diamond plate aluminum.

The kids are washing the dog now as he will likely become a house pet tomorrow for the first time in his life.

John's house is all boarded up w/ OSB.

John and my dad pictured after we hung up some of the metal covering about 20' of glass on the north side of their house.
Caveman

Raider Bill

Quote from: caveman on September 09, 2017, 03:37:50 PM
Raider Bill, hang in there.

John (JMoore) and I tore out about 60' of my parents' dock at Anna Maria on Labor Day.  If we knew this storm would have their place in its sights, we would have let Irma do it for us.

This morning John and I covered the windows in his house and then we covered some of the more vulnerable ones at my parents' house next door to mine.  When we ran out of plywood we used corrugated metal roofing and diamond plate aluminum.

The kids are washing the dog now as he will likely become a house pet tomorrow for the first time in his life.

John's house is all boarded up w/ OSB.

John and my dad pictured after we hung up some of the metal covering about 20' of glass on the north side of their house.

You too my friend.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

loggah

I hope everyone's holed up in a safe place! those things would scare the crap out of me ! We up north are pretty lucky they are usually toned down when they reach here. Stay safe !!!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Mooseherder

We are at my daughter's house in Wellington.  Hope everyone stays safe.

Roxie

Say when

grouch

Hope everybody's safe and secure by now. Maybe Irma will see the preparations and just fizzle.

On a lighter note, it looks like most of Georgia went north to invade and confiscate Notre Dame's football stadium. If ya gotta get out of the hurricane's path, ya might as well get as much fun out of it as you can.
Find something to do that interests you.

Mooseherder

We've had some pretty strong gusts and rain but it gets calm again.  Power is now out.  Our oldest daughter still has power 5 miles away.  I am tethering my tablet to my cell phone.  We have a generator for later but will save the fuel until we really need it.

Thank You Sponsors!