iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucknwfl

I ask for two weeks vacation so I could go help magic man do whatever he is doing.  They said no.  >:(
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Raider Bill

Pinellas County [Clearwater St Pete]  just ordered mandatory evacuations for all manufactured/mobile homes and Level 4 areas which are the beaches and low lying areas. about 160k people. Tomorrow they will announce more.
We have water on 3 sides, Tampa bay to the east and the gulf to the west. The counties only a few miles wide at it's widest point. There are only a couple roads north and 3 bridges across the bay. With 1 million people living here it will be crazy for them to get out all at once.

Watching the newest models it looks to be wanting to go more easterly.

Right now the suns out, skies are clear and I have to mow the yards.

Crazy

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

submarinesailor

The 8PM forecast now has it coming ashore WEST of Miami as a major storm (winds over 110 MPH).  If this holds true, the south east corner of Florida is going to take a beating, a big beating.  It also has it coming right over top of several naval installations: NAS Jacksonville and NSB Kingsbay.  I'll bet all the planes and ships that can move are gone or will be shortly.  Was in Kingsbay when DAVID came thru.  Not fun.

Mooseherder

There isn't any gas at 3 stations in our village about 10 west of West Palm but I was able to fill up my truck with Diesel at one of them just now. :)

DanG

They keep changing the forecast track to the west and most models show it coming right up the middle of the state. Gas prices are frozen but almost all stations are out of gas in my area.  I-10 is bumper to bumper and crawling but Hwy 90 is wide open. Anyone evacuating should avoid the interstates IMHO.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Savannahdan

Looks like this thing is running up to St. Louis to pick up a six pack or 2.  They show it shifted quite a bit to the West.  We have plans to evacuate to the Atlanta area and may have to reconsider.  I'll be dismantling the Lucas this morning to make sure it isn't under any live oak limbs.  Have to remove lawn tools from a small shed which sits under the trees to an old shed that's more in the open.  Have 2 houses we have to install plywood on windows this morning.  Started to get a bottled water yesterday but had to remind myself that we have filtered water on the frig.  Looks like it's going to go thru WDH land more than Savannah.  Hope all are safe and well.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

WDH

Yes, looks like the prediction is for it to come over me dead center.  Not sure what to expect.  By then, the winds should less than hurricane force.

Poor Florida  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

That move west will hurt me being on the west coast. Going to start freezing water today in zip locks.

petefrom bearswamp

Be safe everyone.
praying for a NE turn.
A friend from Stuart went to Atlanta 2 days ago and now they say may be mandatory evac order there.
bil and sil are in Summerfield and will ride it out.
Another friend in Lecanto
Makes me relieved that we sold our FL house there.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I hope that Mooseherder does not have to evacuate!   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Quote from: Magicman on September 08, 2017, 09:04:40 AM

Well I hope he does evacuate!  It appears that the eye wall on the strong side will be right on top of him if it follows the current forecast. He may not make it out of Fla. but the further north and inland the better.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

The noon update has it coming more west towards us. This storm is so big and powerful that if it went right up the middle of the state both coasts will be covered with plenty still over the water on both sides.

I just went up to my late friends house and got his window shaker and genset. Gave myself a haircut and had a slice of pizza. Next step is to secure lawn furniture and projectiles.
Few friends are bringing their bikes over to store in my garage. I'm running out of room so limiting space to Shovelheads or older lol. T did allow one twinkie.

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on September 08, 2017, 10:03:49 AM
Quote from: Magicman on September 08, 2017, 09:04:40 AM
Well I hope he does evacuate!
Yup, I know.  He probably had stuff to secure and batten down, but it's a shame to have to spend a couple of days getting in and then have to join the crowd getting out.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

What a mess, just heard on the radio they're opening up the shoulders as a another lane to drive.  I just hope everyone can do what they gotta do to stay safe, best of luck to you all down there.

Claybraker

Quote from: Savannahdan on September 08, 2017, 07:08:41 AM
Looks like this thing is running up to St. Louis to pick up a six pack or 2.  They show it shifted quite a bit to the West.  We have plans to evacuate to the Atlanta area and may have to reconsider.  morning.  Started to get a bottled water yesterday but had to remind myself that we have filtered water on the frig.  Looks like it's going to go thru WDH land more than Savannah.  Hope all are safe and well.
I'm 30 miles north of Atlanta and refugees are everywhere. Everyone has a cousin in Miami. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-HYjHUYQ8

WV Sawmiller

Saw a neat tip for such situations. Freeze a cup of water then put a quarter on top and leave it in the freezer if you have to evacuate. Come back and check the quarter. If it has sunk down in the ice it means it melted and refroze and the meat and such in the freezer is probably no good. If still on top of the ice the freezer never thawed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

Good tip WV.  I took a break from hurricane prep and drove to the beer store in case we run out of water.

My younger two daughters helped board up the windows.  We will leave two uncovered until Sunday, then we will do the final prep.

We had a thunderstorm this afternoon.  I am afraid there will be thousands of trees uprooted.  The live oak pictured lost most of its top 13 years ago in Hurricane Jean.

I am really worried about my parents' beach house which is on Anna Maria Island now that the track is shifting west.

This storm will likely cause a rewriting of building codes (we built our house soon after the building code changes following H. Andrew), zoning codes, and the insurance companies will be crying the blues and raising rates, assuming they will provide insurance in high risk areas at all.

Caveman

Deese

If any of you guys need a place to stay, you're more than welcome to my place. I'm about 20 miles south of Montgomery, AL.
Message me.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

btulloh

Best of luck to all of y'all in the path of Irma.
HM126

Mooseherder

We decided to stay and hoping we made the right decision. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

At one time Irma was projected to head right toward my sawing shed.
Now it looks like WDH and Customsawyer is in the cross hairs. Irma has moved to the left.

If Irma is anything like Hugo, Tornados will be spawning off.
During Hugo everyone lost s lot of timber. Hardly any logs to salvage due to the twisting and splitting of trees.
We lost a large barn and a few cattle as well as other farmers.
So being to the right or left is still something to prepare for.

Prayers to the Georgia Boys and everyone in Florida.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Deese

Moose-If you change your mind, come on up. Seriously. The door is open. 4 bedrooms with 6 different beds, and it's just me.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Deese on September 08, 2017, 08:56:14 PM
Moose-If you change your mind, come on up. Seriously. The door is open. 4 bedrooms with 6 different beds, and it's just me.

DO IT MOOSE......I DARE YA! He'll have to feed you.
:D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

And I have been told I snore loud. :D
The one who says that snores herself. ;D

grouch

A goat advising a snoring moose to move from Florida to Alabama.

We're not in Kansas any more, Toto.

-- click, click, click --

Hmm. Still in this strange world. Must be that expired beer.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!