iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!

Started by Magicman, September 05, 2017, 08:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It looks like we could get a 1-2-3 punch beginning with Harvey, now Irma, and then possibly Jose.  We have many FF members that have been, and now are possibly in the path(s) of yet another massive storm(s).

Batten down guys and keep us posted.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Lynn, I have a bunch of family down south of New Orleans. Been in contact, as always, told them our doors are always are open. Had family and friends live with us well over 6 months after Katrina.

This storm is a BIG one and will do massive damage. For the gulf states, we hoping this cold front holds down in the Gulf of Mexico. If it backs off by Sunday, Lord help us.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They talk like Jose will eventually breakup since its in the wake of Irma.
But Irma will defiantly mess someones day up.

The SC Forestry will be getting together crews as will other agencies in our state as well as other states to respond. Just not sure which way Irma will go.

We got a lot of FF members that could be affected. Keep checking for updates on this storm.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

florida

I've lived here 40 years and have never seen a response to a potential hurricane like this. Stores are already sold out of plywood, water, camp stoves, generators, gas stations out of gas, no tarps left anywhere, lines out the doors at Costco, Sams and BJs. Old timers here are usually blase about hurricanes and new comers have no idea what's coming at them so usually just leave. People don't usually board up their windows until the day before but I've got 12 customers who want their houses closed up right now!  I75 North is already jammed and there's really nowhere to go unless you leave by Thursday.
I'm picking up 60 sheets of plywood tomorrow and got 75 gallons of gas in containers today. I think Harvey has been a good lesson for people here.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

grouch

I must be missing something.

From THIS MAP, it looks like most of Florida will just get tropical winds that they're used to.

Can someone point me to something from NHC or NOAA that indicates the threat level from this thing?
Find something to do that interests you.

Brucer

It's too early to say what's likely to hit Florida.

Here's a good write-up -- it refers to some of the same maps that appear on your link.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/hurricane-irma-will-be-dangerous-no-matter-where-it-makes-landfall/
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishfighter

A great tip that I use in power outages. Buy a bunch of those solar power yard lights. Let them charge up in the daylight and bring them in at night. Saves running your genset. 1000 X safe then burning a candle.

coxy

Quote from: fishfighter on September 06, 2017, 06:18:02 AM
A great tip that I use in power outages. Buy a bunch of those solar power yard lights. Let them charge up in the daylight and bring them in at night. Saves running your genset. 1000 X safe then burning a candle.
that's a good idea about the lights never even thought about them   hope every one stays safe

red

YoYo is something I learned from Magicman . Your on Your own , people get told to leave a flood area but don't leave . Then they call for Help , well your on your own . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

wesdor

A friend of ours is in school on the island of St Kits. Irma passed last night. She reports all in her group safe but lots of trees down and sheds torn apart.

I imagine this is something she will remember for the rest of her life.

Savannahdan

They're projecting Irma to come and visit Savannah.  I've been tying things down and plan to remove the canopy from my mill.  I'll just lay it down on the mill and anchor those with some oak logs.  My biggest concern is to make sure its not directly under any large live oak limbs that might come down.  I lost three ladders to Hurricane Matthew last year.  SIL and I will be installing plywood over windows on three homes.  Topped off the car with gas and need to get some more for gas cans and propane refills.  Hope Irma hits the cold front quickly and heads out to sea.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

DanG

Quote from: grouch on September 05, 2017, 10:01:46 PM
I must be missing something.

From THIS MAP, it looks like most of Florida will just get tropical winds that they're used to.

Can someone point me to something from NHC or NOAA that indicates the threat level from this thing?

Grouch, the threat level is at 100%, and that is what we must prepare for.  It may turn out that we only get TS winds or it may turn out to be devastating. We are getting ready for devastating while we hope and pray for less than that.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

grouch

Quote from: fishfighter on September 06, 2017, 06:18:02 AM

I do that, too! Got around a dozen still working in the yard and 4 that stay in the house, on various window sills. One stays in the bathroom -- saves cleanup. ;)

grouch

Quote from: DanG on September 06, 2017, 12:08:18 PM

Grouch, the threat level is at 100%, and that is what we must prepare for.  It may turn out that we only get TS winds or it may turn out to be devastating. We are getting ready for devastating while we hope and pray for less than that.

DanG,

Here's hoping you get gentle tropical breezes and can stand out in the yard admiring the view as Irma breaks up.

nativewolf

Yep the forecast track may move a few hundred miles but that is a lot of wiggle room.  Have to be careful.

Like the solar yard light idea, very clever. 
Liking Walnut

Raider Bill

Here in Tampa Bay [Clearwater/ Largo] I have personally seen 2 fist fights already today 1 over gas and 1 over who was in line first for propane. I was at Lowes for a lock set and heard another fight in the plywood section of which they have been out of for 2 days so I'm not sure what they were fighting about. There is no water or basics to be had. No plywood, gas if you can find it has long lines. The county park behind me is giving out sandbags 6 per address, you fill them yourself, the line is 2 miles long. People are open carrying.

Schools will be closed starting tomorrow, people are running north. Sue Ann is a travel agent and she says there are no flights out of Tampa or any Florida airport as they are completely booked.

I just got 6 20 lb bottles of propane filled, filled up mine and Sue Anns truck/car. and am now trying to fill anything that will hold gas in case I need to run a generator. We will be freezing water in zip lock bags for the chest freezers.

I've lived here over 30 years. This is the first storm that has worried me. It's a monster and unless something changes it could very well be headed my way. I live on the highest point of the county at 48 ft above sea level. I'm not concerned with flooding so much although I am where Wild Bill lives. He is deemed a critical position at work so will have to be there. I will have Mila my Grand Daughter here. For those lower than we are storm surge and extreme high tides along with the rain will be a problem.

Wind of course is our big danger. Because of our property insurance laws and the area being surrounded by water most of my rentals do not have wind coverage as it's not available.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Hilltop366

Hears hoping it will go out to sea and stay there.

I say stay there because we might be on Irma's hit list for next week depending on how it goes.

What do you do with 6 sand bags?

drobertson

Yes, you guys in the path of Irma are in our prayers, I for one would surely prepare for the worse,, the worst part I see, is getting out is a long ways north,, and then what?  How far north? then east or west?  this really stinks,, take care you guys,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Roxie

Flipping a coin to determine direction is as accurate as a PhD in Meteorology.   ::)  My coin toss said it will ride up the east coast. 

Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Hilltop366 on September 06, 2017, 03:25:50 PM
Hears hoping it will go out to sea and stay there.

I say stay there because we might be on Irma's hit list for next week depending on how it goes.

What do you do with 6 sand bags?

Turn around and get back in line for 6 more.

I was just talking to a Ranger who said that they had to lower the limit on sand bags because they sent so many to Texas/Houston area and now we are short.
Across the street from the park is a golf course, people are going over there and taking the sand out of the traps to fill bags.

Now they are saying that gas stations on interstate 75 are running out of gas due to all the people running north. This is causing cars broke down on the side of the road which further delays traffic.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caveman

Jmoore and I left work a little early to pick up some live oak slabs he and I sawed for a fellow some time ago to haul to a shop in Tampa that is going to build a table top for him and his wife.  Traffic was not too bad going east or west on I-4 between 2-4 p.m.  Maybe all of the idiots were in Lowes and not on the road at that time.

There were a lot of folks at the gas stations last night when I filled up. 

My wife's birthday is today-Would it be in bad taste to wrap up some batteries and a bottle of water? 

The latest prediction is that it will track a little east of what was previously predicted.  This is a monster of a storm that has the potential to deliver misery to those in its path.  Hopefully this thing will miss the U.S.  If it looks eminent, we will spray paint phone numbers on the cattle and other livestock and turn them out in open pastures.  This morning we prepared the school's ag facility to deal with high winds. We were to get 120 show hogs delivered Friday morning from Indiana but we postponed for a week. We collected three truck loads of pet supplies today at school that we will send to Texas hurricane victims later this month. Our school and several others in Polk County are shelters.  Classes are canceled for Friday countywide.  Closures Monday would not surprise me if this thing significantly impacts FL.

We will prepare the best we can, hope and pray for mild weather and deal with whatever comes.  Hope all of the FF members avoid this storm.

Caveman

submarinesailor

Just saw the 11:00 PM update on IRMA.  The NHC at NOAA has it coming ashore as a Cat 3 or 4 between Savannah and Charleston around 8PM on Monday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Mooseherder

We entered Florida southbound on I95 around 8 pm.  There was a parade of cars bumper to bumper for 300 miles in the northbound lanes but they were moving pretty good until we got to Ft. Pierce.  Traffic southbound wasn't as lite as I thought it would be.  In Ft. Pierce we crossed over to the Turnpike southbound and that is when it turned to gridlock.   The few businesses there were overwhelmed with volume probably never seen before.  As we traveled south from there to West Palm about 70 miles was a line of cars stopped in the northbound lanes the whole way.  There is no way those folks got anywhere last night and they probably slept in their cars.  There is no way the demand for fuel was being replenished.  Even run down roadside motels you would never ever stay in had every square inch of their property filled with cars.  Hundreds of thousands of people had a bad night last night and the storm is a few days away.

WV Sawmiller

When I was at USMC CLNC base we had one coming and I was tied up at work. Wife tied down everything then called me and asked what to do about the aluminum jonboat. I told her to put the stern plug in and fill with water. Extra weight helped keep it down. Just pulled plug after all weather issues passed. She did same thing to 16' canoe in shed so we had extra water if needed for flushing toilets and such if we lost power and water.

Stay safe. Don't risk it - property can be replaced. Lives cannot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!