The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!  (Read 5715 times)

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
Re: Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 05:29:42 pm »
Jmoore and I left work a little early to pick up some live oak slabs he and I sawed for a fellow some time ago to haul to a shop in Tampa that is going to build a table top for him and his wife.  Traffic was not too bad going east or west on I-4 between 2-4 p.m.  Maybe all of the idiots were in Lowes and not on the road at that time.

There were a lot of folks at the gas stations last night when I filled up. 

My wife's birthday is today-Would it be in bad taste to wrap up some batteries and a bottle of water? 

The latest prediction is that it will track a little east of what was previously predicted.  This is a monster of a storm that has the potential to deliver misery to those in its path.  Hopefully this thing will miss the U.S.  If it looks eminent, we will spray paint phone numbers on the cattle and other livestock and turn them out in open pastures.  This morning we prepared the school's ag facility to deal with high winds. We were to get 120 show hogs delivered Friday morning from Indiana but we postponed for a week. We collected three truck loads of pet supplies today at school that we will send to Texas hurricane victims later this month. Our school and several others in Polk County are shelters.  Classes are canceled for Friday countywide.  Closures Monday would not surprise me if this thing significantly impacts FL.

We will prepare the best we can, hope and pray for mild weather and deal with whatever comes.  Hope all of the FF members avoid this storm.

Caveman

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 41 yrs
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 11:37:01 pm »
Just saw the 11:00 PM update on IRMA.  The NHC at NOAA has it coming ashore as a Cat 3 or 4 between Savannah and Charleston around 8PM on Monday.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 08:04:26 am »
We entered Florida southbound on I95 around 8 pm.  There was a parade of cars bumper to bumper for 300 miles in the northbound lanes but they were moving pretty good until we got to Ft. Pierce.  Traffic southbound wasn't as lite as I thought it would be.  In Ft. Pierce we crossed over to the Turnpike southbound and that is when it turned to gridlock.   The few businesses there were overwhelmed with volume probably never seen before.  As we traveled south from there to West Palm about 70 miles was a line of cars stopped in the northbound lanes the whole way.  There is no way those folks got anywhere last night and they probably slept in their cars.  There is no way the demand for fuel was being replenished.  Even run down roadside motels you would never ever stay in had every square inch of their property filled with cars.  Hundreds of thousands of people had a bad night last night and the storm is a few days away.
Lane Circle Mill

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 08:45:36 am »
    When I was at USMC CLNC base we had one coming and I was tied up at work. Wife tied down everything then called me and asked what to do about the aluminum jonboat. I told her to put the stern plug in and fill with water. Extra weight helped keep it down. Just pulled plug after all weather issues passed. She did same thing to 16' canoe in shed so we had extra water if needed for flushing toilets and such if we lost power and water.

Stay safe. Don't risk it - property can be replaced. Lives cannot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline bucknwfl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 01:32:00 pm »
I ask for two weeks vacation so I could go help magic man do whatever he is doing.  They said no.  >:(
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 03:21:08 pm »
Pinellas County [Clearwater St Pete]  just ordered mandatory evacuations for all manufactured/mobile homes and Level 4 areas which are the beaches and low lying areas. about 160k people. Tomorrow they will announce more.
We have water on 3 sides, Tampa bay to the east and the gulf to the west. The counties only a few miles wide at it's widest point. There are only a couple roads north and 3 bridges across the bay. With 1 million people living here it will be crazy for them to get out all at once.

Watching the newest models it looks to be wanting to go more easterly.

Right now the suns out, skies are clear and I have to mow the yards.

Crazy

Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline submarinesailor

• Senior Member x2
  • LT15 and a wife of 41 yrs
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 08:53:41 pm »
The 8PM forecast now has it coming ashore WEST of Miami as a major storm (winds over 110 MPH).  If this holds true, the south east corner of Florida is going to take a beating, a big beating.  It also has it coming right over top of several naval installations: NAS Jacksonville and NSB Kingsbay.  I'll bet all the planes and ships that can move are gone or will be shortly.  Was in Kingsbay when DAVID came thru.  Not fun.

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 09:08:35 pm »
There isn't any gas at 3 stations in our village about 10 west of West Palm but I was able to fill up my truck with Diesel at one of them just now. :)
Lane Circle Mill

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 12:11:30 am »
They keep changing the forecast track to the west and most models show it coming right up the middle of the state. Gas prices are frozen but almost all stations are out of gas in my area.  I-10 is bumper to bumper and crawling but Hwy 90 is wide open. Anyone evacuating should avoid the interstates IMHO.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 07:08:41 am »
Looks like this thing is running up to St. Louis to pick up a six pack or 2.  They show it shifted quite a bit to the West.  We have plans to evacuate to the Atlanta area and may have to reconsider.  I'll be dismantling the Lucas this morning to make sure it isn't under any live oak limbs.  Have to remove lawn tools from a small shed which sits under the trees to an old shed that's more in the open.  Have 2 houses we have to install plywood on windows this morning.  Started to get a bottled water yesterday but had to remind myself that we have filtered water on the frig.  Looks like it's going to go thru WDH land more than Savannah.  Hope all are safe and well.
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:30 am »
Yes, looks like the prediction is for it to come over me dead center.  Not sure what to expect.  By then, the winds should less than hurricane force.

Poor Florida  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:03 am »
That move west will hurt me being on the west coast. Going to start freezing water today in zip locks.
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!

Offline petefrom bearswamp

• Senior Member x2
  • soon to be 70 10 never will make 80
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 08:30:02 am »
Be safe everyone.
praying for a NE turn.
A friend from Stuart went to Atlanta 2 days ago and now they say may be mandatory evac order there.
bil and sil are in Summerfield and will ride it out.
Another friend in Lecanto
Makes me relieved that we sold our FL house there.
LT40SHDD51
Kubota 8540 tractor, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 550 Sportsman ATV
1 Husky 1 Echo
241 acres of woodland

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 09:04:40 am »
I hope that Mooseherder does not have to evacuate!   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 10:03:49 am »

Well I hope he does evacuate!  It appears that the eye wall on the strong side will be right on top of him if it follows the current forecast. He may not make it out of Fla. but the further north and inland the better.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 01:16:52 pm »
The noon update has it coming more west towards us. This storm is so big and powerful that if it went right up the middle of the state both coasts will be covered with plenty still over the water on both sides.

I just went up to my late friends house and got his window shaker and genset. Gave myself a haircut and had a slice of pizza. Next step is to secure lawn furniture and projectiles.
Few friends are bringing their bikes over to store in my garage. I'm running out of room so limiting space to Shovelheads or older lol. T did allow one twinkie.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 01:35:12 pm »
Well I hope he does evacuate!
Yup, I know.  He probably had stuff to secure and batten down, but it's a shame to have to spend a couple of days getting in and then have to join the crowd getting out.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »
What a mess, just heard on the radio they're opening up the shoulders as a another lane to drive.  I just hope everyone can do what they gotta do to stay safe, best of luck to you all down there.

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »
Looks like this thing is running up to St. Louis to pick up a six pack or 2.  They show it shifted quite a bit to the West.  We have plans to evacuate to the Atlanta area and may have to reconsider.  morning.  Started to get a bottled water yesterday but had to remind myself that we have filtered water on the frig.  Looks like it's going to go thru WDH land more than Savannah.  Hope all are safe and well.
I'm 30 miles north of Atlanta and refugees are everywhere. Everyone has a cousin in Miami.