The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
Re: Hurricane Irma and then there is Jose!
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2017, 07:53:10 am »
Just after my last post a very large limb came down in the back.  It appears that it hit the ground first and then laid on the corner of the house.  Hope its the limb I spied yesterday that appeared to have a dead section of it but it was too late for me to take care of it.  Lots of other limbs, mainly small, have been hitting the roof.  Others around us have lost power.  Probably just a matter of time before we lose ours.  During Hurricane Matthew we were without power for 7 days.  Have plenty of gas/propane for the generator to get us through a day or 2.  We try not to have much to worry about due to loses during the past 2 storms.  My old Mosins are ready just in case we have looters who decide to prowl the neighborhood.  One shot and the flame/smoke will  scare most of them away.  If not, it holds a few more rounds. 
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:04 am »
Just a stray thought but , Florida already had drinking water problems ?
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Woodcutter_Mo

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:00 am »
I haven't kept up with the hurricane situation the last couple days but from what I've heared there are several right-of-way crews from my area headed towards Georgia to assist in cleanup.
-Sawmill- WoodMizer LT25, Kohler, all manual, old "drag" style WoodMizer sharpener
-Saws- Husqvarna 372XP X-Torque, 455 Rancher X-Torque, Stihl 024AV
-Wood haulers- Kioti DK45 w/FEL, '92 Dodge Cummins with bale/dump bed, '07 Honda Rancher 420

Offline ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:36 am »
We survived. Power out. Poor cell service. Trees down , one self loaded on my flatbed trailer.  Tried to get to mill but road was blocked. Eye came close reports of 115 mph winds here. I can believe it. Up all night mostly on front stoop watching.
Mark, Wildlife Biologist (in my previous life), now 2 HD40E25's, Weining Promat, Koetter Kilns (2), Sore back and arthritic fingers!

Online bucknwfl

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2017, 11:44:24 am »
Not been bad here but guys are working hard to guy customers back

http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/38763/IMG_1449~0.JPG?easyrotate_cache=1505144514

Thanks

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:36 pm »
Mark, I tried to call you to check on your situation but I guess I only have your work number. Lots of trees and power lines down.  I will try to post pictures soon. Clearing roads, jockeying generator and checking on neighbors. I think the eye passed over us and it is still quite windy here.
Caveman

Online sandhills

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2017, 02:09:40 pm »
We survived. Power out. Poor cell service. Trees down , one self loaded on my flatbed trailer.  Tried to get to mill but road was blocked. Eye came close reports of 115 mph winds here. I can believe it. Up all night mostly on front stoop watching.
I haul grain to an elevator every fall that sits on top of a wide open hill, one fall day was particularly windy, they had it clocked at 70+ mph, I was there that day, I can't imagine what 115 would feel like!  Hope everyone is fairing well and doesn't have too much major damage.

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »
We have a lot of tree limbs down but no damage to the house.  It sheared two treetops off.  One of them is dangling precariously at the 20 foot level and will be a challenge.  Our mailbox is down along with a few others on the street.  Everybody is cleaning up already.  I did some but quit when it got over 90 degrees.  Took some storm panels off to allow some breeze in.  The wind is still whipping.  I uprighted a palm tree that was listing at my daughter's house with a tow strap and my Dodge.  My phone isn't accepting a charge so I lost my internet tether.  No power either so we came back to my daughter's place for now.
Hope everybody in it's way is okay.
Lane Circle Mill

Online Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:14 pm »
I had a text from Raider Bill early this morning saying they had made it through okay, but nothing since.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2017, 06:48:24 pm »
Minor damage to the house,  soffit fascia. Lots of tree branches and fence panels down. No power.
My employee keli who is staying with us lost her roof.
Wild Bill good, downed tree took out a shed but missed his bee hives. He m lost fence panels too.
Small tornado went through abot 300 yards behind the H ouse uprooting trees in its path.
All in all except for out of power doing ok. Plenty of supplies and gen gas.
My rentals did ok too. Some minor damage but all good in da hood
Kubota L-4200, Ford 8N, S-10 4WD Beater truck, Chainsaw, Bush Hog, couple ATV's and 141 acres of trees I'm not sure what to do with but I sure do have fun and enjoy being in the woods!
The First 50 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline red

• Senior Member x2
  • we will never forget
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2017, 07:08:13 pm »
Bill I can remember you saying , " the last person to leave NY turn out the lights ."  are you still glad you left NY ?
We have a lot of good boys and girls in harms way
lets all support them and their familys.

Offline Shotgun

• Forester
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:44 pm »
Located NW of Tampa, Hernando Co.  No damage at all.  Only 12 hour loss of power overnight and a.m., Sept. 10/11. I thought it might be pretty bad.  All is well for us.

Shotgun
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2017, 08:43:37 pm »
glad everyone is ok

Offline grouch

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm recyclable!
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2017, 10:09:01 pm »
Looks like an awfully big area of tropical storm winds still.
Find something to do that interests you.

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2017, 10:42:42 pm »
Just windy and raining all day today. Pretty strong wind gusts but nothing alarming. It appears that all of our FF buddies made it through. I hope so. Love you guys.
Sawed 4 years with EZ Boardwalk Jr 13hp. I now have a 2004 LT40HDD51. Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, Cooks Single Tooth Setter, a bunch of chainsaws, and an old chocolate lab.

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2017, 12:21:21 am »
Here in Southwest Virginia we are getting some wind and light rain off the storm. Hard to believe a storm centered hundreds of miles away is touching us.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline ellmoe

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2017, 06:10:58 am »
Still no power. Had no cell service till 2am. Woke up from all the text message alarms hitting the phone. Mobile home rentals unscathed but my old home that I have been updating had two large laurel oaks blow down. One crushed my aluminum structure over my back patio and punched at least one hole in the roof. Nothing structural at the mill but a lot of kd lumber got wet   Overall we were lucky   Now if we can just get power in the next couple of days.
Mark, Wildlife Biologist (in my previous life), now 2 HD40E25's, Weining Promat, Koetter Kilns (2), Sore back and arthritic fingers!

Offline Savannahdan

• Supposed to be retired.
« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2017, 07:02:28 am »
We lost power early yesterday morning and cable/internet shortly after that.  I used the generator for the refrigerators until the propane ran out.  Fill up with gas, fired it up and the power came on.  Had a large limb come down from the old live oak.  It appears to have landed on the ground and laid up against the roof the office/sun room.  I'll check that out today.  Need to keep an eye on what Jose is doing but for now it looks like its going further North than us.  Blew debris off my driveway and 2 other neighbor driveways yesterday evening.  Funny I was talking the my elderly neighbor when I saw his garage light come on, thought his wife was coming out and then it dawned on me that the power had just come on.  He had loaned his generator out to someone who had a medical need. 
Lucas 10-30 Swingsaw Blade Mill, Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill

Offline Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2017, 07:51:23 am »
We got power back at 5:30am.  It's going to be a long road back for some areas and folks.  One foot in front of the other.
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2017, 08:27:25 am »
Please pray for the work safety for the thousands of Engineers, Linesmen and Service Technicians that will be traveling to the affected areas to restore power, telephone, and other services.  Convoys of workers are already headed South and into the damaged stricken areas.  They are now displaced from their homes and families and will be living and working under sometimes dangerous and adverse conditions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman