iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Name Brand Recognition

Started by WV Sawmiller, September 04, 2017, 09:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Ever think about how many poplar name brands become synonymous with that product or service? It results in great advertising. For example how many of you ask for a Kleenex instead of a tissue? In the UK I think they still Hoover the rug. Dad said when he was a kid if you were going to buy a new vehicle you'd say you were going to buy a new Ford even if you were actually buying a Chevy or a Packard. When I was a kid in NW Fla Coke (Actually we called them CoColas) meant a soft drink. You'd tell the vendor you wanted a CoCola and they'd ask "What Kind?" and you might say RC or Pepsi. A Frigidaire was the same as a refrigerator - of course back then some old timers still just called them an ice box.

If any of you can think of other items go ahead a post them here for others to take a trip down memory lane.

Well, I better go LogRite me a couple of red oaks on to the mill and get back to sawing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Sounds almost like winter time incontinence. :D :D

BTW - Happy Birthday.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

thecfarm

No way. It would freeze and really be in a mess.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

Kleen-Ex, Crock Pot, Popsicle, Scotch Tape, Weed Eater, Band Aid, just Google it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

newoodguy78

Sawzall- I've owned several Milwaukee brand in the past I believe they are the original. Currently I have a Makita and hitachi "reciprocating saw" but still call them sawzalls....

luvmexfood

Don't know if this fits but we would always say "a pack of nabs". Back in the old days you were getting crackers with peanut butter in the middle.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

WV Sawmiller

Thomas Crapper was a plumber and while he did not apparently invent it he was one of the leading promoters of the flush toilet.
Howard Green

Magicman

Crescent wrench, Stillson wrench, Caterpillar. 

Kodak, but not so much now that everyone seems to be "packing".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Skill saw for circular saw.

Saran Wrap for plastic wrap. 

Roger2561

Tin Foil for Aluminum Foil

Roger
Roger

Chuck White

When I was growing up, a SLED was a platform with 2 steel runners under it, a steering handle up near the front and a rope attached for pulling it back up the hill after the run!

SLED, aka Flexible Flyer!

How times do change!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WranglerSS

Kubota L3240
Kubota RTV 900
Woodmizer LT28
Woodmaxx 8h Chipper/Shredder

WDH

I am going to make a Xerox copy of this thread.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

:linoleum for vinyl flooring. Formica for counters.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TKehl

Our Bobcat is a John Deere 250 skid steer.  (My daughters call it the John Cat  ;D)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

red

It's a can't hook with a sharp point on it to stick it into the ground .  I think
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

The point also comes in handy for prying logs apart. But the point can leave a dent in the wood.
cant hook-peavey from Logrite

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Hilltop366

There is an interesting radio show about marketing on CBC radio called "Under The Influence".

One episode talks about common place activities were started by advertising like Bacon and eggs for breakfast and coffee breaks.

I'll add  Thermos

caveman

Council rake, Copenhagen for snuff, vice grips, herty cup, jet ski, astro turf, Vick's salve, Niquil, Gear Wrench,
Styrofoam, Levi's, and tuperware.
Caveman

reelman65

75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Thank You Sponsors!