iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pontoon Re-build

Started by DDW_OR, September 04, 2017, 06:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

I have a pontoon with a 8x16 deck. the deck is rotten and i am planning on a total strip-down and re-build.

this is how the pontoon looked when i lived in AZ

plan to change the layout

i will use a grid to explain where things are.
example, 6-3 is a removable table in green
Motor on left
small white circles are swivel seats, 2-1, 2-7, 4-7, 14-2, 14-6
small green circles are for shade umbrellas
red rectangles are bench seats
simple kitchen is at 7-7
captains council is on bottom edge
"let the machines do the work"

DPatton

What are you going to build the new deck out of?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

DDW_OR

Was thinking of using some of the cedar trees i have, then use fiberglass to seal it like i have seen done for canoes.
but then i thought how slippery it would be when wet.
have read where some people add playground sand to the final coat.
:P

would like to have an aluminum deck, with hardwood used for the cabinets and other stuff.

Briankinley2004

I used to help moderate a pontoon restoration forum. It was pontoonstuff.com. Its been many years and I haven't logged on in several. The head moderator died recently. The question of decking came up very often. Weight and rot is an issue especially if you're going to use your own lumber. Pontoons get a lot of splash under the bottom which can cause rot. The new non CCA treated plywood can corrode the aluminum framing. You can still get the CCA marine plywood but its high dollar. If money is not a problem I would recommend the COOSA board or something similar as a sub deck and a thinner layer of your favorite wood on top. I would seal it with penetrating epoxy or epiphanies spar varnish and plan on replacing unless you have access to teak, heart cypress or some other wood that will not rot. I just re read where you have access to cedar and that should work fine as long as its heart. Its good and light and you should be able to use it direct on the aluminum but I would still seal with cpes on topside.  I don't think it would be real slippery. Even table top epoxy doesn't seem real slippery to me on a table but I haven't done much table dancing  :D :D :D

DDW_OR

THANK YOU!!

i know what needs to be done, but did not know what to do it with.

Money is an issue, but i prefer to do this once.

DDW_OR

the umbrellas are the pole type used on patios
the pontoon is going to be used by my dad and me. he is 85 and I want to keep him shaded and cool

the pontoon has been put on hold for now. other projects have higher prioritys;
3000 feet of fence
3 lean-toos to add to the pole barn
chicken coop
Firewood
greenhouse = two harbor freight 10x12 placed end to end, with all mods and re-enforcement
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=97497.msg1504967;topicseen#top
etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,

DanG

Since you're in Oregon, why not use redwood for your deck?  I would cover it with indoor-outdoor carpet for non-slip protection. Also, you will need some sort of membrane under it or water will spew up between the planks when underway.  If it was mine however, I would just use the non-cca plywood and put strips of rubber between it and the frame to avoid corrosion.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Briankinley2004

Underskinning with metal is popular for protecting the bottom. Popular belief is to not paint or seal the bottom of the plywood as it will not allow water that gets in from the top out

DDW_OR

it does have a metal belly

DDW_OR

changing the layout
adding a bathroom/changing room
the round circles are for removable chairs

Tom King

MANY pontoon boats on the lake here.  I've never seen anyone use anything but treated plywood to redo a pontoon deck with.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Tom King on December 09, 2019, 07:10:14 PM
MANY pontoon boats on the lake here.  I've never seen anyone use anything but treated plywood to redo a pontoon deck with.
i assume you are referring to Pressure treated
or Marine grade
or standard exterior, roof sheeting
if Pressure treated then a barrier needs to be between the aluminum and the Pressure treated

DDW_OR

for the 8x16 pontoon i think 60 HP is enough. now has 115 HP

should i do one 60
or two 30 HP, then troll with just one 30 HP?

sawguy21

And if one acts up you still have a ride home. I prefer one engine for simplicity and reliability but to each their own.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

I'd stick to one big main engine and something like a 5 to 10 hp for trolling.  A nice, quiet, 4-stroke Honda.  The little motor can still get you home if the big one has issues.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DDW_OR

I have tried to troll with a 5 HP. it almost moved the pontoon.
but with the 115 HP anchor, and no way to lift it....

the pontoon re-build will happen in about 2 years.
Higher prioritys

DDW_OR

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on September 04, 2017, 10:26:18 PM
....... I would recommend the COOSA board or something similar as a sub deck ........
how thick. 1/2 to 1 1/2 available
if i use 3/4, would it be strong enough as is with marine carpet on top
would i have to add additional metal frame on a 2 foot grid for the 3/4
the COOSA is in 4x8 sheets.
should i lay the 8 foot from left side of pontoon deck to right side?
then the 4 sheets side by side to make the 16 feet.
that is how it is done now with the rotten plywood

I want to replace that Huge 115 HP with something more reasonable like 40 to 60 HP 4-stroke
get rid of the gas-oil mix. some states and lakes are doing away with 2-stroke engines
the pontoon does have an aluminum under deck skin

12/16/2021 <> COOSA
3/4 = 532.11 x 4 = 2128.44 + Freight $306.10
1 inch = 582.73 x 4 = 2330.92
1.5 = 915.08 x 4 = 3660.32 + Freight $387.93

DDW_OR

DDW_OR

ideas from other pontoons that i like
storage
bathroom
trailer ladder

sawguy21

Nice unit!  We rented a pontoon boat with friends a couple of times, it was the answer for my partially disabled wife. Great way to spend an afternoon.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DDW_OR

yep, Pontoon boats are very stable.
but do not like to make sharp turns,

I have been curious of Deck boats, like the Hurricane
the deck is like the pontoon, but the under carriage is like a catamaran  boat
the used price is about twice that of the pontoon

DDW_OR

rebuild is planned for 2023 or 2024

Tom King

I've ridden in, and driven one of those Hurricane boats.  Top speed is better than a pontoon, but it handles about like a fat pig.  I'd rather have a pontoon.

DDW_OR

Quote from: Tom King on November 21, 2022, 10:33:12 AM
I've ridden in, and driven one of those Hurricane boats.  Top speed is better than a pontoon, but it handles about like a fat pig.  I'd rather have a pontoon
Thank You
i have had my pontoon up to 45 MPH. used a GPS
115 HP 2-stroke, Way overkill. thinking of swapping to a 60 HP 4-stroke

DDW_OR

the floor

plywood or patio deck flooring ( like you would use for the deck at your house )
carpet or hard surface

Thank You Sponsors!