iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice in the southeast.

Started by aburnette165, September 04, 2017, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aburnette165

Is there anyone near Columbus Ga that would be willing to let me come hang out while you are milling? I can help move lumber while I'm there. I have ordered a new Woodmizer and looking to learn as much as I can. Thanks

irvi00

I'm a ways from you but you're more than welcome to come hang out. I'm just east of Cleveland Ga.

WV Sawmiller

A165,

You might check the WM site under services for the Pro-Sawyers (Find A local sawyer) and if any of them are close enough to you, call them and see if they can use some free help. Might check both Ga and Ala since you are right there near the state lines. If you were near me I'd be glad to "host" you (I.e Work you plumb to death). Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I am just outside of Perry, GA, a bit less than a two hour drive from Columbus.  You are welcome if you want to come here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

aburnette165

That would be great what is the best way to contact you? thanks?

Sixacresand

Be sure to attend the "Project" event that Custom Sawyer puts on in the spring.  You have invitations from some very knowledgeable and experienced millers.  I will be glad to show you what little I know.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

customsawyer

Come on over. I'll let you stack.  ;D
All jokes aside you are welcome to come.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

aburnette165

WDH

Andrew came over Friday and spent the day with me.  We talked a lot about wood structure and how that plays out sawing various types of lumber.  We sawed a blue pine order that I had and some cypress for a green egg project for another customer.

He ordered a LT40 super hydraulic with the wide head and the 35 hp diesel..  This boy is not messing around  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is the Forestry Forum at it's best.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

I hope you didn't give that man a headache with information overload
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

grouch

Hmph. WDH just saw free help and jumped on it.
Probably made him promise the first walnut log off the mill for the "privilege" of working that moldy pine and cypress, too.

Find something to do that interests you.

GAB

Quote from: grouch on September 24, 2017, 09:57:54 AM
Hmph. WDH just saw free help and jumped on it.
Probably made him promise the first walnut log off the mill for the "privilege" of working that moldy pine and cypress, too.

Why, oh why art thou so negative?
I get it now, you are trying to live up to you FF name.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scleigh

Danny is a class act! Woodmizer should give him a commission.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, aburnette165.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

I did not say a single thing about longitudinal tracheids, bordered pits, fiber tracheids, sclereids, or vessel elements. 
He got off easy  :D.

Magicman

Danny, don't be ashamed that you did not know what those words meant and were too embarrassed to ask him.  ::)   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

4x4American

Quote from: WDH on September 25, 2017, 07:36:25 AM
I did not say a single thing about longitudinal tracheids, bordered pits, fiber tracheids, sclereids, or vessel elements. 
He got off easy  :D .

Forget that rudimentary stuff, I hope you told enlightened him about the cardinal rule of guide arms
Boy, back in my day..

aburnette165

Spending the day with Danny was the best decision. He was very helpful and thought me more than i could remember in a day. Pretty sure it stepped up my learning curve by at least 3 months if not more, than trying to figure it all out on my own. He is a top notch guy. Thanks again for the help.

WDH

Oh yes, we discussed blade guides and arms  ;D.

4x4American

Quote from: aburnette165 on September 26, 2017, 02:44:38 AM
Spending the day with Danny was the best decision. He was very helpful and thought me more than i could remember in a day. Pretty sure it stepped up my learning curve by at least 3 months if not more, than trying to figure it all out on my own. He is a top notch guy. Thanks again for the help.

WDH is pretty much a champion wood whisperer, and a helluva good guy, you surely went to the right place.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!