iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safest protective gear

Started by johndoesti, September 04, 2017, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tawilson

I'm such a follower.. Just ordered a pair of XR200.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

celliott

I have the protector prime's. The folks at Haix told me the prime's run 1\2-1 size small generally. I typically wear a 12, ordered a 11.5 and it fits great. I am starting to think these are the best boots I've ever bought. Love them. Only thing I'm not sure of is the durability, but they seem solid.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

johndoesti

I also went with the Protector Prime, they fit me pretty well. The differences with the XR200, as far as I can tell, are Vibram sole vs non-vibram, 7" vs 9" height and steel toe cap vs composite. Definitely ½ smaller. I'll post my full gear when I get it all (thanks everyone).

John Mc

The other difference between the Protector Prime and the XR200 boots is that the XR200 boots meet the European Class 1 (20 m/sec) cut protection standard, while the Protector Prime meets the class 2 cut protection.

In my case, anything was an upgrade in this area, since I never wore my rubber chainsaw boots, and the old hiking boots I did wear had no cut protection. The deciding factor for me was the fit. After suffering through the rubber boots and giving up on them, I wanted something that fit me well enough that I would actually use them. The protector Prime was not a bad fit, it's just that on my foot, the XR200 was better.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sweetjetskier

The first Haix boots I purchased were the Airpower Gold arborist boots, really liked them and bought another pair 8-9 months later. That was 5-6 years ago and now have 2 pairs of the XR200's.

I did have one small problem with sole to boot adhesion and I was taken care of without question.  Sent Haix the "damaged" boots and about a week later I received the free replacements.

Haix has been a great company in my experience.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

smoked

This is a great topic.  I am a hobby woodworker and wood burner and between cutting firewood and running a chainsaw mill, I spend a good amount of time with scary tools on my weekends.  I can't afford to go out and buy it all at once but I am trying to add safer equipment/PPE to my toolbox so this has been a very informative topic. 

Do you guys think chaps are good for chainsaw milling where knees are normally in the dirt or should I save up for the better pants?  Thinking about mobility.
Hobby woodworker/wood burner
If I screw something up, it is free heat next winter:-)

teakwood

For chainsaw milling i never used leg protection. the chainsaw is in the mill and there is now way you can get cut like this in the leg. maybe some knee protection!?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Ed_K

Maybe look into cut resistance glove?
Ed K

Nobody

Have to agree with Riwaka on the helmet. Protos all day long for me. Generally better protection, especially the back of your head. Also like that the mufflers tucks in inside the helmet. Sits extremely firmly compared to anything else I've tried.

As for pants/chaps I cant say more than that I love my Stihl x-fit pants. Very comfy, but expensive. Chaps are a no go in scandinavia. Anyone using them for full time / professional logging would be looked at as nothing more than a misplaced amature.

John Mc

Quote from: Nobody on October 20, 2017, 04:27:42 PM
Have to agree with Riwaka on the helmet. Protos all day long for me. Generally better protection, especially the back of your head. Also like that the mufflers tucks in inside the helmet. Sits extremely firmly compared to anything else I've tried.

I've never even seen one of those helmets in real life. I'm sure they are great, I just have a hard time believing they are $300 great. Are they targeted more at arborists?

QuoteAs for pants/chaps I cant say more than that I love my Stihl x-fit pants. Very comfy, but expensive. Chaps are a no go in scandinavia. Anyone using them for full time / professional logging would be looked at as nothing more than a misplaced amature.

I'm curious about this. Why is it that Scandinavians so strongly prefer the pants to the chaps? I have a distant relative in Sweden who is a logger, and he would agree with you - unfortunately I didn't ask him why. Is it a style thing, or is there some belief that the pants are safer?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Nobody

Quote from: John Mc on October 20, 2017, 11:25:22 PM
Quote from: Nobody on October 20, 2017, 04:27:42 PM

I've never even seen one of those helmets in real life. I'm sure they are great, I just have a hard time believing they are $300 great. Are they targeted more at arborists?

QuoteAs for pants/chaps I cant say more than that I love my Stihl x-fit pants. Very comfy, but expensive. Chaps are a no go in scandinavia. Anyone using them for full time / professional logging would be looked at as nothing more than a misplaced amature.

I'm curious about this. Why is it that Scandinavians so strongly prefer the pants to the chaps? I have a distant relative in Sweden who is a logger, and he would agree with you - unfortunately I didn't ask him why. Is it a style thing, or is there some belief that the pants are safer?

Yeah, they are unnecessary steep.. probably because, as your on to, their more adapted for climbers.
That said, when I got mine I had to order another right away for my dad who wanted the extra luxury in his old days while whacking weed.

For the chaps I dont really know, and dont think I can give an accurate answer. But I think it has a lot to do with culture. For instance you wont see plant and construction workers in everyday clothing on the job here. And jeans is everyday clothing.
Almost like dress codes, carpenters wear their nail pouch pants. Construction workers wear hi-viz from top to bottom. If you wield a chainsaw, well, then you wear proper chainsaw protective clothing.

Edit: one important detail flew right over my head. I dont think anyone produces CE approved chaps, which is required. Pretty much same as ansi just for europe.

John Mc

Quote from: Nobody on October 21, 2017, 04:27:52 AM
Why is it that Scandinavians so strongly prefer the pants to the chaps? I have a distant relative in Sweden who is a logger, and he would agree with you - unfortunately I didn't ask him why. Is it a style thing, or is there some belief that the pants are safer?

For the chaps I dont really know, and dont think I can give an accurate answer. But I think it has a lot to do with culture. For instance you wont see plant and construction workers in everyday clothing on the job here. And jeans is everyday clothing.
Almost like dress codes, carpenters wear their nail pouch pants. Construction workers wear hi-viz from top to bottom. If you wield a chainsaw, well, then you wear proper chainsaw protective clothing.

Edit: one important detail flew right over my head. I dont think anyone produces CE approved chaps, which is required. Pretty much same as ansi just for europe.

I can easily see why the pants are safer than the apron-style chaps. Not sure why there would be much difference between good-quality full wrap chaps and pants. (But then, I 'm just eyeballing them, and I'm no PPE engineer).

I see a number of chaps that meet ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1, and OSHA regulation 1910-266. I don't see many that mention CE specs, but then probably not a whole lot of people in the US are looking for that spec. I have to admit, I have not looked at the specs to see what the difference is.

Nobody

Quote from: John Mc on October 21, 2017, 04:44:08 PM
Quote from: Nobody on October 21, 2017, 04:27:52 AM
Why is it that Scandinavians so strongly prefer the pants to the chaps? I have a distant relative in Sweden who is a logger, and he would agree with you - unfortunately I didn't ask him why. Is it a style thing, or is there some belief that the pants are safer?

I can easily see why the pants are safer than the apron-style chaps. Not sure why there would be much difference between good-quality full wrap chaps and pants. (But then, I 'm just eyeballing them, and I'm no PPE engineer).

I see a number of chaps that meet ASTM F1897, ANSI Z133.1, and OSHA regulation 1910-266. I don't see many that mention CE specs, but then probably not a whole lot of people in the US are looking for that spec. I have to admit, I have not looked at the specs to see what the difference is.
For you guys there is no CE, you got ANSI instead. It's just formal edited by admin tho.. I cant even buy a hardhat from the US because it isnt CE approved.. I can of course, but my insurance would be obsolescent if anything where to happend..

Nobody

Anyway, to get back on track I'd like recommend the Pfanner Zermatt boots if your on spurs occasionally.
Didnt want two sets of boots for felling and climbing, and the Zermatts works fine. A bit slippery tho, but very good ankle support. When working in steep, slippery terrain I put on snow spikes which Pfanner supplies also.

Ianab

Climate might have something to do with the chaps vs pants things.

Locally most of the logging is done in the warmer weather (less rain and mud). So it's warm, and humid, making for HOT work. You would be flaked out from heat exhaustion by lunchtime if you tried working in heavy padded trousers. Shorts, boots and chaps give you protection, without being cooked alive. A t-shirt with some day-glo visibility stripes and a forestry helmet completes the "uniform".

Now if you were working in snow, I imagine the extra padding would be a bonus, not a liability.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

That's a good point, Ianab. However, the climate in the Scandanavian countries is not all that different from Vermont. I do see some professionals here wearing pants, but I see a lot of them wearing chaps.

Nobody

Yeah, good point! Didnt think about that.. But chaps+jeans would get much hotter than newer style chainsaw pants (for a price). They breathe pretty good these days, and are strategically padded, with very thin strechy fabric on the back side. I have to admit tho, shorts+chaps sounds like a dream..
Also, your point reminded me about something Ianab. The Protos helmet I recommended can get a bit warmer than traditional helmets.

Dunno about the climate in Vermont, but it's not uncommon to experience 30celcius/86fahr for a while in summer here. Would guess the humidity to be another story tho, and that plays a big part.

Ianab

This is random video of a local logger, wearing the local "uniform". Jeans and Chaps WOULD be too hot to work in, so shorts it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It5o434EtXw

On the plus side, the plantation pine tends to smother any undergrowth, so it's OK to wander around in shorts and not get torn up with brambles and other rubbish. Humidity is usually in the 70-80% range.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Nobody

That looks really comfy! Would sport a pair of briefs under them chaps if I worked deep enough in the woods  :D

That terrain there must be awesome to work in.. never seen anything like it, theres no undergrowth at all.. Better get myself over there sooner than later for a look-see

John Mc

Quote from: Nobody on October 21, 2017, 10:32:07 PM
Dunno about the climate in Vermont, but it's not uncommon to experience 30celcius/86fahr for a while in summer here. Would guess the humidity to be another story tho, and that plays a big part.

We get the same thing here. 30C/86F for a few days here in the summer, occasionally hitting low 90's F (32-33C). We had some record-breaking heat for our area a couple of times this summer, and a really strange few days when the temperature hit 95F/35C in early October (average for October is high of 58F/14C down to low of 35F/2C). I'm in the Champlain Valley of VT. Up in the mountains it's a bit colder.

Nobody

Quote from: John Mc on October 22, 2017, 06:38:03 AM
Quote from: Nobody on October 21, 2017, 10:32:07 PM

We get the same thing here. 30C/86F for a few days here in the summer, occasionally hitting low 90's F (32-33C). We had some record-breaking heat for our area a couple of times this summer, and a really strange few days when the temperature hit 95F/35C in early October (average for October is high of 58F/14C down to low of 35F/2C). I'm in the Champlain Valley of VT. Up in the mountains it's a bit colder.
Sound like it's very similar. Have only had a few nights with frost here this month. 11-15C during the day.

teakwood

Short and chaps! :o :o ??? 
That would be a big no no around here with all the insects we have crawling around and spiny underbrush. I work with long pants year around, even in the woodworking shop, you get used to it.

As i said many times here before, the best thing that worked for me in the heat is the pfanner gladiator cool pants, a white t shirt and the white construction helmet with a curtain and ear props. And believe me i know what working in the heat means: 8 month Rainseason 26-31C/ 78-88F with 80-100%hum and 4 month dryseason 28-36C/ 82-97F with 60-80%hum

Nobody

Quote from: teakwood on October 22, 2017, 08:38:01 AM
Short and chaps! :o :o ??? 
That would be a big no no around here with all the insects we have crawling around and spiny underbrush. I work with long pants year around, even in the woodworking shop, you get used to it.

As i said many times here before, the best thing that worked for me in the heat is the pfanner gladiator cool pants, a white t shirt and the white construction helmet with a curtain and ear props. And believe me i know what working in the heat means: 8 month Rainseason 26-31C/ 78-88F with 80-100%hum and 4 month dryseason 28-36C/ 82-97F with 60-80%hum

Have not tried Pfanners gladiator yet. I hear they are just as good as stihl/husqvarna premium pants just without the brand price tag. Could you do a comparison if you've tried stihl/husky pants?

teakwood

i have had two stihl pants and they are good, but they weren't the new style vent pants, so i can not compare them actually.
Pfanner's are actually more expensive than stihl an husky, but more than half of the loggers in switzerland changed to pfanner gear, they are considered as good as or even better than the known brands.

Nobody

Quote from: teakwood on October 22, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
i have had two stihl pants and they are good, but they weren't the new style vent pants, so i can not compare them actually.
Pfanner's are actually more expensive than stihl an husky, but more than half of the loggers in switzerland changed to pfanner gear, they are considered as good as or even better than the known brands.
hmm.. Around here, the Stihl x-fit is about 1/3 more than for the Gladiator.. Probably because of the retailers then..

Thank You Sponsors!