The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Safest protective gear  (Read 2150 times)

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
Re: Safest protective gear
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 08:05:21 am »
I don't log for a living; thank God, those guys have it rough.

My main reason of choosing the pants over the chaps came about when I bought a winch for my tractor to skid the logs out. There are three levers on the left side of my tractor seat (my normal enter/exit side since the loader joystick is on the other side) and the straps on my chaps would hook the 2wd/4wd lever 90% of the time. Most of the time it was an inconvenience. A couple of times it cause me to stumble out of the cab and at least once it caused me to take a pretty good header. Coupled with the fact that the pants are cooler in the summer and more comfortable overall, it has become my favorite PPE for my lower body. I still use the chaps for quick trimming, or if I'm doing strictly ground work (preferably in the winter) but the majority of my cutting time finds me wearing my pants.

Offline chep

• Full Member x2
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 05:52:38 am »
If I am operating forwarder i usually use chaps to get out and bump knots flush stumps and cut trees processor left.
If I am mostly chopping I wear the Stein.

My workmate is using Oregon Waipatou saw pants. And loving them. I may try them.next about 160$ through honey brothers .uk.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 11:43:13 am »
My workmate is using Oregon Waipatou saw pants. And loving them. I may try them.next about 160$ through honey brothers .uk.
If their pants are as good as their Fiordland boots then they must be a winner!

Offline Ed_K

• Senior Member x2
  • Leave it better than you found it. Ed_K
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2017, 10:18:28 am »
 Don't care what you wear, wear something protective. I was wearing husky chaps yesterday and lost a chain cutting a top. I have three bruises on the inner part of my thigh were the chain teeth hit. If I hadn't had them on just think what the bruises would have looked like.
Ed K

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2017, 12:59:01 pm »
Bought my first pair of chaps this week, I'm just doing to much sawing to not be smarter about it.  Looking to upgrade my boots next. 

Can someone tell me more about the cut proof boots like Haix is promoting? 

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2017, 06:19:28 pm »

The Haix chainsaw/logger boots are the XR 200 and the Protector Prime. Both have toe and cut protection and are waterproof (Gore-Tex Liner). The Protector Prime is a little taller (9" uppers vs 7" uppers for the XR 200). The 9" uppers were a bit much for me, so I went for the XR200. I did find they run fairly true to size. I usually wear a size 9 with a C width; so I ordered the size 9 in their medium width, and it fits perfectly. These are the first safety boots I've owned that are so comfortable that I think I'm just wearing hiking boots. I'm very happy with them.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2017, 08:13:07 pm »

The Haix chainsaw/logger boots are the XR 200 and the Protector Prime. Both have toe and cut protection and are waterproof (Gore-Tex Liner). The Protector Prime is a little taller (9" uppers vs 7" uppers for the XR 200). The 9" uppers were a bit much for me, so I went for the XR200. I did find the run fairly true to size. I usually wear a size 9 with a C width; so I ordered the size 9 in their medium width, and it fits perfectly. These are the first safety boots I've owned that are so comfortable that I think I'm just wearing hiking boots. I'm very happy with them.

That's great to hear and useful on sizing.  How are they holding up? 

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »
That's great to hear and useful on sizing.  How are they holding up?

Great so far. I can't say my own pair has had heavy use, but I've heard good things from others about their longevity.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline nativewolf

• I'm new!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2017, 09:20:59 am »
Good deal.  Wonder if anyone has run a saw into a pair?  Or an axe or machette

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2017, 10:01:29 am »
I saw a demonstration video somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Keep in mind that none of this gear makes you "bullet-proof". Just about all PPE I've seen has the disclaimer on it that it is not designed to completely prevent injury, but used properly, it will lessen the severity.

Offline tawilson

• Full Member x2
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2017, 04:16:30 pm »
I'm such a follower.. Just ordered a pair of XR200.
Tom
LT40HDG35 WIDE

Offline celliott

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2017, 06:32:21 pm »
I have the protector prime's. The folks at Haix told me the prime's run 1\2-1 size small generally. I typically wear a 12, ordered a 11.5 and it fits great. I am starting to think these are the best boots I've ever bought. Love them. Only thing I'm not sure of is the durability, but they seem solid.
Chris Elliott

Follow our progress on the Northern Forest Canoe trail summer 2014 here-
 http://chris-and-meghannfct2014.blogspot.com/

Offline johndoesti

• I'm new!
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2017, 12:52:56 pm »
I also went with the Protector Prime, they fit me pretty well. The differences with the XR200, as far as I can tell, are Vibram sole vs non-vibram, 7" vs 9" height and steel toe cap vs composite. Definitely smaller. I'll post my full gear when I get it all (thanks everyone).

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2017, 01:29:36 pm »
The other difference between the Protector Prime and the XR200 boots is that the XR200 boots meet the European Class 1 (20 m/sec) cut protection standard, while the Protector Prime meets the class 2 cut protection.

In my case, anything was an upgrade in this area, since I never wore my rubber chainsaw boots, and the old hiking boots I did wear had no cut protection. The deciding factor for me was the fit. After suffering through the rubber boots and giving up on them, I wanted something that fit me well enough that I would actually use them. The protector Prime was not a bad fit, it's just that on my foot, the XR200 was better.

Offline sweetjetskier

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:50 pm »
The first Haix boots I purchased were the Airpower Gold arborist boots, really liked them and bought another pair 8-9 months later. That was 5-6 years ago and now have 2 pairs of the XR200's.

I did have one small problem with sole to boot adhesion and I was taken care of without question.  Sent Haix the "damaged" boots and about a week later I received the free replacements.

Haix has been a great company in my experience.

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 26 years experience.