iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safest protective gear

Started by johndoesti, September 04, 2017, 03:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

johndoesti:  All those euro pants from well known brands as pfanner, stihl, husquarna, ....they all meet european safety standards, and they are hard to get. And they have to approve in different country's,  switzerland has their own "OSHA" which is called EPA, the european union has the CE label and i think that GB has also it's own "OSHA". So you can be certain that if they approve all european standards they will also approve US safety regulations.

My pant is class 1: so 20m/second chainspeed

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

John Mc

Quote from: johndoesti on September 11, 2017, 09:50:15 AM
Not that anybody would be interested but I changed my order to Haix Protector Prime boots instead of Volt ;D I'm already used to these kind of boots as my mountaineering boots are pretty much the same...

The Protector Prime are great boots. I tried both them and the XR200 boots. I ended up choosing the XR200 simply because they fit me a bit better and I preferred the slightly lower cut (I had to order the medium width, since the wide they had in stock was a little sloppy on my foot).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andries

Johndoesti - why not have a look at Youtube.
The bush party that pulls a pair of pants over a Norway Pine log and takes a big (660 Stihl?) to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJS2q3HRCHQ
or...
The very brave? Czecho guy who is wearing the pants while he takes a swipe at his leg with a "Wild Thing" looking smaller saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VSivQe760&t=29

Quote from: johndoesti on September 11, 2017, 09:50:15 AM
. . . . I want to see a chainsaw drop on one of these european pants. . . I want to see those european pants tested first.

Time to place your order!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

John Mc

Even considering how well those pants work, that Czech guy is an idiot.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Andries

Completely agree.
But there's one or more, in every crowd, right?
My son is the climbing arborist, I'm ground crew.
Been thinking about pitching my chaps and order myself a pair of Gladiator pants from Pfanner.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

johndoesti

Andries : believe me I have looked at YouTube extensively  pc_smiley.

Do you recognize the pants used in the first video test you posted?
I found this video for Pfanner as well: https://www.pfannercanada.com/blog/entry/slow-motion-pfanner-chainsaw-protection.
Still I think I saw a video of class 3 pants completely fail somewhere.

One good example (and again I'm not able to determine which brand/model it is):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUHXOQJ5Yk

Having specs is good, but how good is it in reality?

teakwood

Well, hard to tell but i'm pretty sure those pants aren't pfanner, the front fabric on the pfanner is one stiff layer, when the guy in the vid moves the pants around it gets all wrinkled, like a ski pants. those look more like a cheap chainsaw pants. also why doesn't he show the brands name on the pants. if you have a pair of good chainsaw pants you really can tell the difference. 

teakwood

Quote from: Andries on September 11, 2017, 06:22:03 PM
Completely agree.
But there's one or more, in every crowd, right?
My son is the climbing arborist, I'm ground crew.
Been thinking about pitching my chaps and order myself a pair of Gladiator pants from Pfanner.

Do that, you won't regret, and then if you like them you can chime in and help me spread the positive feedback. Kind a hard to make a point if i'm the only one who has tried them :D :D

trapper

anybody make extra short chaps?  Short and fat.  5'3"
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

chep

I've tried phanner gladiator, sips, husky standard pants, Swede pro, forester, and 1 other pair of stretchy butthuggers that failed. I have crotch failures in all these pants. The huskys i ended up duct taping the boot zippers closed. Could never get them to stay shut and hold.
Never hit a pair with a saw it's always been a blowout.
Lots of opinions on pants but only a couple from actual loggers. Again the only pair I can personally recommend are the Steins. Well built. Not stretchy spandex garbage. When i was climbing more the stretch was good, but as soon as you take those pants into tje bush they are weak...

teakwood

Quote from: chep on September 12, 2017, 05:44:28 AM
I've tried phanner gladiator, sips, husky standard pants, Swede pro, forester, and 1 other pair of stretchy butthuggers that failed. I have crotch failures in all these pants. The huskys i ended up duct taping the boot zippers closed. Could never get them to stay shut and hold.
Never hit a pair with a saw it's always been a blowout.
Lots of opinions on pants but only a couple from actual loggers. Again the only pair I can personally recommend are the Steins. Well built. Not stretchy spandex garbage. When i was climbing more the stretch was good, but as soon as you take those pants into tje bush they are weak...

And again with the insulting! so we are all just weekend hobby loggers here??  Just give your opinion so others can make up their own mind about a product, no need to make false statements. 

chep

I'm not insulting. Do you log for a living? Full time? 40 hrs plus a week? How many hrs a year do you spend running a chainsaw?
This guy is asking for an opinion and a review. I gave one.  I was questioned so I gave more info.
I am big on safety and think saw pants are critical to day in day out work. Chaos have there place as well. But to go out and spend well over 300$ on a pair of pants is an investment. So I am giving my 2 cents on over 2000$ worth of saw protection I have purchased in the last 9 years.
Thanks

chep

*chaps* not chaos. Dang autocorrect

teakwood

40% of my time is logging (and yes i do it for a living) 30% is an excavation business and 30% is furniture making and other stuff. so i am not a "full time logger" but if you take 20 years of working by 40% so it's around 8 years of "full time logging", so i think i have a fair share of experience in logging and PPE.

johndoesti: if you want some feedback for chainsaw pants you should search in some forums from europe, i didn't search but i am sure you can find lots of reviews in europe because every professional logger use them there, the market is big for pants in EU

John Mc

Quote from: chep on September 12, 2017, 05:44:28 AM
I've tried phanner gladiator, sips, husky standard pants, Swede pro, forester, and 1 other pair of stretchy butthuggers that failed. I have crotch failures in all these pants.

Sounds as though they just plain don't fit you.

So do you use the Steins now, or have you decided to stay with chaps?

DeerMeadowFarm

I don't log for a living; thank God, those guys have it rough.

My main reason of choosing the pants over the chaps came about when I bought a winch for my tractor to skid the logs out. There are three levers on the left side of my tractor seat (my normal enter/exit side since the loader joystick is on the other side) and the straps on my chaps would hook the 2wd/4wd lever 90% of the time. Most of the time it was an inconvenience. A couple of times it cause me to stumble out of the cab and at least once it caused me to take a pretty good header. Coupled with the fact that the pants are cooler in the summer and more comfortable overall, it has become my favorite PPE for my lower body. I still use the chaps for quick trimming, or if I'm doing strictly ground work (preferably in the winter) but the majority of my cutting time finds me wearing my pants.

chep

If I am operating forwarder i usually use chaps to get out and bump knots flush stumps and cut trees processor left.
If I am mostly chopping I wear the Stein.

My workmate is using Oregon Waipatou saw pants. And loving them. I may try them.next about 160$ through honey brothers .uk.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: chep on September 14, 2017, 05:52:38 AM
My workmate is using Oregon Waipatou saw pants. And loving them. I may try them.next about 160$ through honey brothers .uk.
If their pants are as good as their Fiordland boots then they must be a winner!

Ed_K

Don't care what you wear, wear something protective. I was wearing husky chaps yesterday and lost a chain cutting a top. I have three bruises on the inner part of my thigh were the chain teeth hit. If I hadn't had them on just think what the bruises would have looked like.
Ed K

nativewolf

Bought my first pair of chaps this week, I'm just doing to much sawing to not be smarter about it.  Looking to upgrade my boots next. 

Can someone tell me more about the cut proof boots like Haix is promoting? 
Liking Walnut

John Mc

Quote from: nativewolf on September 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM

The Haix chainsaw/logger boots are the XR 200 and the Protector Prime. Both have toe and cut protection and are waterproof (Gore-Tex Liner). The Protector Prime is a little taller (9" uppers vs 7" uppers for the XR 200). The 9" uppers were a bit much for me, so I went for the XR200. I did find they run fairly true to size. I usually wear a size 9 with a C width; so I ordered the size 9 in their medium width, and it fits perfectly. These are the first safety boots I've owned that are so comfortable that I think I'm just wearing hiking boots. I'm very happy with them.

nativewolf

Quote from: John Mc on September 15, 2017, 06:19:28 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on September 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM

The Haix chainsaw/logger boots are the XR 200 and the Protector Prime. Both have toe and cut protection and are waterproof (Gore-Tex Liner). The Protector Prime is a little taller (9" uppers vs 7" uppers for the XR 200). The 9" uppers were a bit much for me, so I went for the XR200. I did find the run fairly true to size. I usually wear a size 9 with a C width; so I ordered the size 9 in their medium width, and it fits perfectly. These are the first safety boots I've owned that are so comfortable that I think I'm just wearing hiking boots. I'm very happy with them.

That's great to hear and useful on sizing.  How are they holding up? 
Liking Walnut

John Mc

Quote from: nativewolf on September 15, 2017, 08:13:07 PM
That's great to hear and useful on sizing.  How are they holding up?

Great so far. I can't say my own pair has had heavy use, but I've heard good things from others about their longevity.

nativewolf

Good deal.  Wonder if anyone has run a saw into a pair?  Or an axe or machette
Liking Walnut

John Mc

I saw a demonstration video somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Keep in mind that none of this gear makes you "bullet-proof". Just about all PPE I've seen has the disclaimer on it that it is not designed to completely prevent injury, but used properly, it will lessen the severity.

Thank You Sponsors!