iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opinion on 4-53 exhaust

Started by Spartan, August 31, 2017, 10:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

So its borderline drought here, and I have no spark arrestor on my exhaust.  So I bought one.
My detroit 4-53 wears a 3.5" exhaust with a straight through resonator, and a baffled muffler.  The flow seems ok to me.
The spark arrestor I bought is a centrifugal type by walker.  Looks pretty restrictive.  I will be replacing my resonator with it.
My concern is it going to create too much back pressure?

I am gun shy because in an effort last winter I redid my exhaust with a quieter muffler and a pre muffler, all in a 3 inch exhaust.
Shortly after that, I had a cracked head in 3 of the 4 cylinders in between the exhaust valves.  Machine shop said heat is the only thing that would do that.  So I think I corked it too much.  So naturally I am a bit worried.  That was a costly mistake if that indeed was what happened.
Don't want a repeat.

Spartan

The centrifugal parts seems larger than the 3.5" tube but still looks quite restrictive.

longtime lurker

I got one set behind my muffler. Done plenty work - and thats big days, hard hauls and tropical summer weather type work - and so far so good. My muffler and arrestor setup are up on the roof of the machine though so she gets to lose a lot of heat through the pipe just getting up there.

Dont forget to put some anti seize on the plug for the arrestor before you start it. They grow in quick with the heat and you got to knock the cinders out occasionally.

Mostly my fires are manifold related and I've never made fire with any machine arrestor or no arrestor that wasnt machine burning first kinda thing - stack fires, manifold fires, bottom rollers (on dozer) fires. So I dunno if they work or not.

On the bright side it sure does quiet that screamin' demon down!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Spartan

Thanks, what diameter exhaust are you running?

treeslayer2003

what you did wrong before was reduce the size. ya can't do that with a detroit. keep a good eye on heat, really keep it below 190, they don't like heat as you found out. i know, it sounds silly that a 212ci engine needs 3.5" exhaust, but its a different animal than any thing else.

Spartan

Yeah its turning 2500rpm but flows air like its 5000rpm.
I just remembered today I had a IR thermometer, so I shot my exhaust below the resonator today under full load, when I put the spark arrestor on I'll do the same.  That will tell me if its corking it up.

and don't tell anyone, but i might have opened those flaps up a wee bit, just a wee...

mike_belben

Lit bottom rolls on fire....  I am officially impressed.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!