iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pruning a large American Elm picture

Started by low_48, September 03, 2017, 11:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

low_48

Shared from the Ancient Forests and Champion Trees Facebook page. Crazy positions of the men, and one crazy ladder! A great Facebook page to like by the way.

thecfarm

No way would I even climb that ladder!!! I do see the 2 props for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bluthum

Wow!
There is a lot going on in the picture but I see more questions than answers.
One question comes to mind is if these guys did this often how long were their careers?
How did they get that big ladder up there, and so on.

Thanks for posting this.

loganworks2

That's one big elm. We had one of those ladders when I was on the local fire dept. It would reach 60ft called a Bangor ladder and it took a crew of 6 to stand up.

rjwoelk

My palms get sweaty just looking at it. That is crazy think_not
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

warren46

Quote from: bluthum on September 04, 2017, 09:06:51 AM

One question comes to mind is if these guys did this often how long were their careers?

Thanks for posting this.

I have a similar picture of my father in elm trees in Wisconsin.  He lived to be 100 if that answers your question.

Many of these tree surgeons worked for Davey Tree Services in the 1920's.  They would trim the elm trees along the boulevards in eastern cities and swing from tree to tree using their ropes.  I have heard many wonderful stories about his experiences.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

bluthum

Sure looks like extremely risky work no matter how skilled or careful a person was.

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!