iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battery powered pole saw?

Started by thecfarm, September 03, 2017, 08:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Anyone use a battery pole saw?
I have been thinking about one. I have fields and the limbs are reaching for the sunlight. Allmost all hardwood,red oak and white maple. I thought about gas,but this is something that I would use alot at first,but than it might sit for a year and only used twice during that time. Most limbs are smaller than 3 inches,if that. Yes,I know I might only get an hour or two out of a charge,but from what I heard,that might be all I want to do at one time.
Yes,I know the chain would have to be kept sharp too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DonT

Have you considered a Silky extended reach polesaw like the Hayuchi or the Hayate ?  The cut remarkably well and are used by many tree services.  I use the Husqvarna battery powered top handle saws and love them.I recently bought my 82 year old dad the husky battery powered  pole saw and he loves it. We converted him to a battery powered saw,trimmer and blower last year. I do not think you would be disaapointed with the huskys performance. Buy a second battery and you have one charging while you use the second.  A battery under normal use lasts about the same as a tank of gas.I think you are bang on with not going gas for a polesaw.

thecfarm

I have ALOT of trees that need trimmimg. I don't think my bung shoulder could use a hand driven one.  :(
I am kinda looking at the Roybi now. In fact I did not know they had one. I just looked at it a few minutes ago. I all ready have the batteries.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

Are you talking about the 18v or the 40v ? I picked up the 40v to teach my son to use a weedeater its noticeably liter then my gas and there is no pull starting it. I also picked up the 10" expand it pole saw for it as well it doesn't do a bad job its kinda slow. Not sure on the battery life but I did cut about 15 3-4" branches and 5 or 6 full bar cuts into red oak then 6" into and all the way down a piece of the same red oak. After that the battery was 1/2 way down when I checked, I did have 2 battery faults doing the full bar cuts were it just stopped working. Once I popped out the battery, pushed the charge gauge to see how much battery was left then put it back in it worked fine.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

thecfarm

I never even thought of the 40v.  ::)   That would be much better,power wise and battery life.

DelawhereJoe

When I purchased the 40v weedeater I also picked up the 40v blower too. They went on sale 4th of July for $99 ea, thats also the cost of a new battery, so it was like buy the battery and get the trimmer free. Now they are back to $149 ea, the trimmer came with a 2.4 ah battery the blower came with a 3.0 ah battery. The 40v push mower they have has a 5.0 ah battery,  looking around online the additional 5.0 ah battery runs $139. But everything will depend on how much money you want to sink into things.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DaveP

I recently purchased a 40 volt Oregon pole saw.  10 foot reach and light weight.  After two hours of use the battery still had plenty of power.  I would highly recommend this battery powered pole saw.

Kbeitz

I use a small PTO generator and a electric chainsaw on a pole.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

I've got the 40V Oregon polesaw and weedeater and have been happy with them.  The saw will even cut old dead Hedge Apple limbs. 

I usually take two batteries with me to the woods.  Hard to gauge time as a lot of use is fence line clearing and opening up old wood trails to get a cab tractor through, so useage is intermittent.  Pefect for battery over gas.

Yes, keep the chain sharp, but since it is a long way from the ground (and dirt and debris) it stays sharp for a surprisingly long time.  The cute little chains are also available on Amazon. 

I'll add they also work well on multiflora rose.  After my goats give the biggest bushes a "bowl haircut", I stick it in to cut the stems.  Generally next years regrowth is low enough I only have to cut once and only the ones that are over my head.

In retrospect, Kbeitz's gen set mounted on a 4 wheeler would be cheaper and 2/3rds of what I do.  However, the battery is real nice for walking and doing TSI by trimming lower branches. 

I also have a Jameson manual pole saw.  They both have their place.  Being so light, I like to carry one stick of the Jameson with the saw when I mushroom hunt or check goats.  Gives me a walking stick and I do some pruning along the way.   ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

21incher

I just did about the same as kbeitz. I bought a small gas generator and made a mount for the front hitch on my Kubota.  Then bought a cheap Harbor Freight pole saw. Now I  have portable power everywhere  on my property for less then the price of a battery saw. That saw works great. I am avoiding battery operated outdoor tools due to obsoleted batteries on a weed wacker and hedge trimmer I purchased several years ago that are now useless because the batteries will no longer charge. I just have to get a hard hat for when using it. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!