iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Church type organ.

Started by Jeff, September 02, 2017, 05:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Any one know anything about them?  There was an estate sale in our neighborhood and they had this organ. It said free. They said they called churches and no one wanted it because it is obsolete. They said it worked. Until it didn't when they went to show me it did.. But hardly ever used. The lady that died bought it new and it just sat in her home for years until she recently passed away.

When you turn the power on, everything lights up, there just is no sound.

We found the receipt for it in the bench. This thing was expensive!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

It might be something simple,like a blown fuse .Depending on the age it could have tube type circuitry .

Al_Smith

I just Googled Lowery 350 and there is some information available .

btulloh

It could be something pretty simple. If you know someone that's an electronics-type he may find it pretty quick.  That was a pretty decent organ in it's day, but that day has passed for sure.  It could still lead a productive life at your house.  Lowery had a pretty good rep for church organs.  It's not a Hammond, but it does what it does )or did what it did) pretty well.  Good luck with it.
HM126

Magicman

Load it up on the back of M.R. Truck and Tammy could play it while you drive in the Fall Festival and Christmas Parades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwkej79U3ek
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TKehl

Depending on your plans, I hear some organs have a fair amount of silver in them.  Contacts under the keys maybe?  Depends on make and model I guess.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Tom the Sawyer

We have an older model Hammond organ and it needs to have the bellows oiled every year or else there is no sound.  Remove the back and you should see oil ports.  Light machine oil will work.  On ours, there is a power switch - turning it on lights everything up.  There is also a run switch - you hold that one until you hear the bellows system build up pressure - you should then have sound.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

btulloh

Tom, those aren't bellows, they are tone wheels.  The Hammond is unique in the way it generates its sound.  It is a marvel of electro-mechanical design and is a patented tone-generating system.  There are about twelve million little tone wheels, which are notched and sized to produce specific frequency's at running speed.  For each tone wheel there is a pickup - much like a guitar pickup.  These are combined by amounts set by the drawbars to add or subtract overtones.  The oil you add is to lubricate the shafts on which the tone wheels are mounted.  The whole thing runs by way of synchronous motor whose speed is determined by line frequency.  The motor will not self start, so there is a sort of pony-motor to get the thing up to speed.  It's really an amazing system.  Extremely expensive to produce today.  The sound can be modeled using digital synthesis (this is the way it's done by Hammond now), but it's never quite the same as the original tone generation.  Close though, and much easier to carry around.

Now that everybody's eyes are glazing over, I'll just leave it at that.

The Lowery organs used electronic tone generation exclusively.  Lowery was very clever with their designs and got a lot out of the available technology at every point in time.  The Lowery organs never gained the status the Hammond did for rock,pop, jazz music, etc., although there were a few times when a Lowery did show up on a hit record.
HM126

Don P

Mr Benton was our church choir director and also the school principal. In his office at school he had one of the old time pump organs. If you were bad you had to pump while he played. The severity of the offense determined the tempo and duration. I also got to move that beast a time or two  :D.

pineywoods

How about another one.. This one is a wurlitzer, given to me just like Jeff's was. Everything works, just no sound. It was given to me with a string attached, I have to fix it, then either learn to play it or find someone else who will..

If anone is interested, member planman1954 is building hammond b3's. All new cabinets with salvaged tone generators
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

Crusarius

Does it have headphone jack? plug in headphones see if you can hear anything.

Forgive me if your video showed it working I can't watch those at work.

Crusarius

OK so I just remembered to watch the video. Wow. good luck :) I like the desk idea.

My wife had an old piano that sounded terrible and never got played so we tore it apart and now just the sounding board is hanging on the wall as wall art. the 2 year old loves to bank on it and make lots of noise.

Doesn't look like that one will make nice wall art

Jeff

I wish I would have had a camera running a bit ago when Tammy jumped through the roof of the barn. I did find I could make it make a sound. There is a reverb box, and if you tunk it, it makes a crashing noise. I tunked it with the volume full and Tammy sitting on the bench.
So, the transformer, amp, volume, and speakers all work.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Yer supposed to ask how i am.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I wouldn't surrender quite yet on that thing .Cover it with a tarp and think about for a while .

Don P

Sounds like a switch is off somewhere  ???

Al_Smith

What he said .It's probably something simple .Don't  give up the ship and turn it into a picnic table or something .
A little advice for the two cents it's worth .I'm somewhat a half-fast mechanical/electrical wizard and I've been humbled more times than I can count .Walk away ,ponder for a while,eventually you'll figure it out ,with or without other advice .

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Hilltop366

I suspect you got to be careful when you google organs ;D

My uncle passed away a few years ago and collected several organs they were imposable to get rid of, if you live around here you could of had several more to add to your "collection".

Now if you can't get the organ to generate sound perhaps you could tap into the amp side of it to use to stream music on or use as a guitar amp, them things usually have a very good sound system in them.

The sound desk!

Thank You Sponsors!