iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loading containers

Started by CX3, September 01, 2017, 04:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times but I would like to hear how you all load containers with oak logs. My fork lift is too tall, so that's out.

I would like to build an attachment for a skid steer that would allow me to hydraulically grab the log long ways and drive it in.

Just curious as to what others do. Thanks.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

coxy

use a log truck  then use a lull with a flat plate on the fork assembly to push them all the way in about 35 min to load

paul case

I had a neighbor that was loading walnut logs at his place in containers. He had a picker truck he would load the logs on and pull next to the ramp that the container was backed up to(it was on a semi trailer made for it) he would stick one end in the back of the box with the picker and he had a small bend in the middle wheel loader with a grapple on the front that went out to the edge of his bucket. He would shove them in to the box with it and when at the front he picked up the front end of the log and started it up on the row that was already in the box. I think he usually went 3 deep on nice sized logs. smaller limby logs maybe 4 deep. He said that he could easily get the container overweight for the truck pulling it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

treeslayer2003

cx3, thats how i saw it done, loader grabbed log by the end. this was a low pro converted case wheel loader but i would think a bigger size bobcat would do. it was just forks close together with a half moon top clamp.

OH logger

I have a logging grapple with a heel for my bobcat and I always thought that would work. I know ginormous logs it wouldn't but put them in the back of the trailer(with assistance from another machine)and the smaller ones up front  ;)
john

quilbilly

We use a shovel/log loader. I've seen debarked logs loaded with a small excavator. Excavator sat just off to the side of the container and put one end in and then slid the rest to the front. With our shovel we load them in and use the heel rack if necessary to push forward.
a man is strongest on his knees

Autocar

We had a five foot half inch plate iron with four inch sides placed at a forty five degree angle on the bottom of the plate iron there was a place where the forks slide into. then log chain the log to the plate and drive it into the container. We also used a Prentice loader then a loader to push it back into the container. Creased the side of the container once and was charger two grand so keep that in mind.
Bill

barbender

I have a log loader style grapple I built for my skid steer, I think it would work as well as anything for loading a container if you could drive into it. You can heel the logs and carry them sticking straight in front of the machine. Mind you I've never loaded a container.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

This thing. I do a few things differently if I built another one, but I can't imagine being without it. I use it around the place, around the mill and doing firewood. Actually, it doesn't work bad for skidding logs if it's a real short skid, and it's dandy for sorting on a landing behind a cable skidder. The things I'd do differently- I'd make the boom more arched, like a grapple skidder, so as you rollex the attachment back the grapple would come up and back toward the machine. That would make heeling easier. Second, I would make a blade on the bottom for pushing debris and bhtting up piles. At any rate, I think this would work well for you CX3.

mike_belben

Think you may have forgot the pic barbender, im very curious what it looks like.

Ive often wondered how export works but havent met anyone doing it.  Who owns the container in these transactions? Who pays for what parts of shipping?
Praise The Lord

killamplanes

Here they use a forklift, no fork but a barrel grapple log goes straight in container. They use for wiskey, wine barrels.. Works great forlogs
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

barbender

mike_belben

Nice.  Does it have power rotate or just a free swivel?
Praise The Lord

Riwaka

Wheel hydraulic loader or track loader with rubber pads on tracks to un/ load on hard surfaces
https://youtu.be/kxkVROKO9I4

barbender

Mike, it just swivels. Power rotate would be nice, but it's not that much of a handicap, given that for the most part you can't rotate wood very far without hitting yourself😊

CX3

Barbender you read my mind. The only thing I would add is a heel so the logs couldn't swing around in the rear. A good sized forklift would have to be stout enough to load 8 ft logs even big ones. I watched videos of skid steers picking 5700 lbs up easy.

As for getting the container jobs that's easy with a little research. The reason not very many people do it is because of the loading part.
Thanks for the responses.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!