iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead tree too near my sawmill!

Started by MbfVA, August 31, 2017, 07:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailtrimmer

Good to see it down safely. 

My favorite way to deal with rotten junk or leaners is my maadsdam rope puller, throwball and an assortment of wedges.  If the tree has no branches for the throw ball, a pole saw hook works to set the rope. 

I just tension up the rope, then drive the wedges in the back cut till they stop moving, add tension to the rope, hit the wedges again.  Work back and forth so neither is doing all the work.  You can keep better control of rotten junk and pull some heavy trees opposite of the lean if you are patient and take your time.

TKehl

Very rotten!

Glad to see all ended well and safely!
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

MbfVA

thanks for the well wishes,  these things are  never simple.

to my friend from southwest Virginia, yes The Homeplace is located at the intersection of Virginia 779 and Route 311.  To my knowledge they have never had a website, but do have a large Facebook presence,  put up I think by customers rather than the owners.  Very simple concept, and very popular.
www.ordinary.com (really)

mike_belben

Glad it went well. 

I do the same as trailtrimmer.. Gaff up it to set a high line with a 200' bull rope, park the fork about 150' away and maybe 20* off from the targeted landing then pretend im cutting natural with a pile of wedges, but make certain theres a little extra encourement to go my way every time i curl back a little.   When the wedges stop moving in its ready for a little more tension or a little more cut. 

There were two on my last job backleaned at neighboring house.. One was hollowed out like cutting an upside down bucket.. Dont think i could have done it any other way.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!