The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Dead tree too near my sawmill!  (Read 1699 times)

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
Re: Dead tree too near my sawmill!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 12:42:42 pm »
 connecting the two, that sounds interesting. Using the snatch block on another tree and so forth is what I thought, too.   The tree is approximately 35 feet tall, and it's 25 feet from the mill.   A local guy who hunts on our farm is going to come over tomorrow and look at it with me. He's a chainsaw expert.   i'll share everything I've been told here with him as well.   please don't hesitate to share if anyone thinks of anything else.   Thanks to all of you 🌲🌲🛠🛠
www.ordinary.com (really)
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2017, 02:55:15 pm »
 Jay came over this morning & down she came in 2 pieces.  He was convinced there was no risk to the mill and started by taking down the one that was leaning solidly in a safe direction, as several of you advised.  Then we tied a rope to the more risky stem up high using the painter pole and a short roller.  You can see the results.  In the end, we used the rope to pull the 2nd stem over after some cutting.  Jay was confident and did not want to use a snatch block for the rope, but if I ever do it myself, I will definitely use one and get a little ways farther away at a 90 angle.

One  Bad guy down, right direction, as planned, no problems:

Next, we shimmied the rope up the tree using 2 painter poles, see the circle.   High enough to ensure that in worst case of some sort of lateral fall, anything that broke off could not hit the mill.  I had to unscrew the roller cover holder at the top from the pole when I couldn't get it out from under the loop.  No problem since it cost less than two dollars, sacrificial if necessary ; I'll know next time to make sure I leave it looser, to easily get it unscrewed; little bit of a struggle this time around:

Jay cut through most of it, very carefully, and then we pulled it down using the rope.  He was very comfortable feeling his way through the cut, watching for any problem. I wish I could use telepathy to get all his years of expertise into my head.

Almost lost him and his wife to a horrific motorcycle accident near Las Vegas in 2015. He & she were in the University of Las Vegas hospital/rehab for months (he was in awe of the quality of care he & wife got there).  Still rehabbing, and I'm not sure the shock of it has totally left him.

Success.  I'll have to say the wood was pretty worthless, likely Hickory from what we could tell. More bugs, chaff and holes than wood:

The stump, likely no good slabs there, ant food:

Thanks again to everyone who helped with advice. I took everything into account, discussed it in detail with Jay before we started.   We did not move the mill, but I can't say that everyone should follow me.  The risked expense was pretty heavy if we had made a mistake .
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2017, 05:27:42 pm »
Glad you got it down. I looked once but sort of forgot where is your restaurant? While up that way if not to far was going to drop by. I do some work for a company and travel. Spent a week in Charlottesville and about three in Richmond and two in Fredricksburg.  Did do a two night job in a local community about 20 minutes west of Richmond and north of 64. But it may have laid on both sides of interstate. Cant remember the name of it.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
 :laugh:
2210 River road west
Maidens, VA 23102-2705
www.ordinary.com

Send me an email or a text before you come in, and I'll send you a discount note for 25% off.  That offer is good for anybody on the f forum.  I can't begin to tell you how much help I've gotten from all of these folks.

This area is also home to a lot of good Mexican restaurants as well; I can guide you if you like.  The Virginia head of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce is a long-term friend,  former owner of a top Mexican restaurant, was my student when I taught accounting back in the late 70s.

You have got to try Joe's Inn on Shields Avenue in R (Fan District) as well.

Have you been to The Homeplace north of Salem & Roanoke?   They helped us get started over 30 years ago.  Truly wonderful folks.
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline luvmexfood

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2017, 09:04:42 pm »
Is the Homeplace sort of up on a mountain a little. If going North on 81 it would be on the left and up a road. Didn't get to go but it was recommended to me. Ment to go but we were working nights and I slept too late to go. There is a Salvadorian/Mexican restaurant in Fredricksburg that I try to go any time I am up there. Everything is made from scratch. Little hole in the wall place. Nothing fancy, a woman runs it and does most of the cooking for the restaurant as well as a food truck her husband runs. No chips etc. Just walk up to a counter and order. They don't speak very good english. Good food at a reasonable price. Best refried beans I ever had.  Carne asada (steak) is like 10.99 with two or three sides. Two pieces of steak each a little bigger than a slice of bread.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Offline trailtrimmer

• I'm new!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 08:43:33 am »
Good to see it down safely. 

My favorite way to deal with rotten junk or leaners is my maadsdam rope puller, throwball and an assortment of wedges.  If the tree has no branches for the throw ball, a pole saw hook works to set the rope. 

I just tension up the rope, then drive the wedges in the back cut till they stop moving, add tension to the rope, hit the wedges again.  Work back and forth so neither is doing all the work.  You can keep better control of rotten junk and pull some heavy trees opposite of the lean if you are patient and take your time.

Offline TKehl

• Certified Contrarian
    • Kehlhof Ranch
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:40 am »
Very rotten!

Glad to see all ended well and safely!
Lucas 6-13+slabber, Mr. Sawmill bandmill, orange chainsaws, JD SSL, Case Backhoe, farm tractors, trailers, and 150ish acres of trees.  Fledgling woodshop with CNC router, laser engraver, Woodmaster 712, and a Berlin 108 moulder (project).  Oh, and a lovely (patient) wife and four offbearers.

Offline MbfVA

• Full Member x2
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 10:28:28 am »
thanks for the well wishes,  these things are  never simple.

to my friend from southwest Virginia, yes The Homeplace is located at the intersection of Virginia 779 and Route 311.  To my knowledge they have never had a website, but do have a large Facebook presence,  put up I think by customers rather than the owners.  Very simple concept, and very popular.
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...

Offline mike_belben

• Pulp Friction
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2017, 11:18:18 am »
Glad it went well. 

I do the same as trailtrimmer.. Gaff up it to set a high line with a 200' bull rope, park the fork about 150' away and maybe 20* off from the targeted landing then pretend im cutting natural with a pile of wedges, but make certain theres a little extra encourement to go my way every time i curl back a little.   When the wedges stop moving in its ready for a little more tension or a little more cut. 

There were two on my last job backleaned at neighboring house.. One was hollowed out like cutting an upside down bucket.. Dont think i could have done it any other way.