iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MSA 120 C... first report

Started by upnut, August 31, 2017, 03:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Sold a couple older saws along with some other items at our annual yard sale, put that money towards a new msa 120 c battery saw. The saw came with an AK 10 battery and 101 charger. The first run after fully charging the battery was a little disappointing, 15 minutes and a small pile of limbwood and we were done. More research revealed the saw should have been sold with an AK 20 battery. A quick trip to the dealer and a short phone call later, the salesman apologized, handed me an AK 20 battery, and away we go! The AK 20 battery took a bit longer to charge, no problem, and the 101 charger shuts itself off when done charging...nice. My intention is to use the battery saw as a back-up to the 241, in case of pinched saw etc. Today I ran the 120 more, just to get a feel for amount of wood I can expect to cut with it in case it goes camping with me. I was pleased with the run time and the amount of wood cut with it. It will fit nicely into my small program.

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Canadiana

The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Canadiana on August 31, 2017, 06:26:49 PM
Cool

I generally find a wedge or two knocked in with the back of an axe in the cut is enough to open it up and release the bar. Just an idea that has worked for me in the past.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

millwright

I picked up a Stihl battery powered weed wacker that uses those same battery's, it works really good and seems to last quite a while.

TreeStandHunter

Be mindful when using the electric saws that your chaps will not stop them. They do not have a slip clutch like gas saws so the chap material will not do anything too slow them down. Just fyi to be extra careful when sawing, cant ever be to safe.
In the process of building my own mill.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tr33St4ndHun73r on September 03, 2017, 11:04:56 AM
Be mindful when using the electric saws that your chaps will not stop them. They do not have a slip clutch like gas saws so the chap material will not do anything too slow them down. Just fyi to be extra careful when sawing, cant ever be to safe.
This video shoots down this theory.
Now a 110volt Stihl plug in saw may be a different scenario.

https://youtu.be/_uZQZBALVTc
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

TreeStandHunter

Stihl even lists it on their website. The saws are designed to stop within one second of pulling off the trigger which that guy was doing after hitting the chaps. I would have to trust stihl on what they say about their products over that guy on YouTube.

Click the link and go to specifications and it's in there saying that The fibers will not stop an electric chainsaw because of the high torque.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/aprnchap/

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tr33St4ndHun73r on September 03, 2017, 01:11:57 PM
Stihl even lists it on their website. The saws are designed to stop within one second of pulling off the trigger which that guy was doing after hitting the chaps. I would have to trust stihl on what they say about their products over that guy on YouTube.

Click the link and go to specifications and it's in there saying that The fibers will not stop an electric chainsaw because of the high torque.

https://m.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/aprnchap/
Stihl recommendations in that report is for "certain electric chainsaws."
Doesn't apply to the Stihl MSA 120C battery cordless saw this thread is all about.

Here is the family of electric saws Stihl is referring to.

https://youtu.be/oGyt8IXHW40

TreeStandHunter

Where does it say certain? It says most, i dont see how a battery powered compared too chord would produce different torque. I am honestly curious i understand yourpoint on chorded vs battery but i cant find any info on the difference when it comes to torque/chap effectiveness.

HolmenTree

Reread your links specifications.

The video of the Husqvarna T536 battery saw where the operator did not release the trigger and the chain and sprocket jammed instantly...
.if that  doesn't prove to you then you must be blind. :D

TreeStandHunter

I just feel it was deceiving, qny pair of chaps ive seen get hit the saw need breaking diwn to clean it all out of the clutch. In that video he just keeps on going makes me think he was letting off the trigger...but i guess im just blind

HolmenTree

Quote from: Tr33St4ndHun73r on September 03, 2017, 04:27:41 PM
I just feel it was deceiving, qny pair of chaps ive seen get hit the saw need breaking diwn to clean it all out of the clutch. In that video he just keeps on going makes me think he was letting off the trigger...but i guess im just blind
Those 36 volt battery saws have a built in overload protection and they have no clutch to jam up with fibres. The overload protection initially stopped the chain.
But on the "most" or "certain " electric saws in the Stihl specifications you get 1 point 8)

Comparing a 36volt battery saw to a 120 or 230 volt electric chainsaw is no comparison.

TreeStandHunter

Im still learnin, i guess ill take my point and run  :D

HolmenTree

Sorry I was hard on you and you're a good sport.
But When Stihl specifies "electric saws" they mean 120/230 volt corded saws.
230 volt models put out 2.5kw of power with alot of torque . When they say most electric saws cutting through chaps they may be referring to models with overload protection only designed for overheating.

TreeStandHunter

Learn something new everyday. We have a stihl battery saw at work and i know they dont have slip clutches just the shaft. When we bought it the salesman told us they will go through chaps but he was misinformed. All is well im glad i know now thats the whole point of discussions  thumbs-up

upnut

Stihl recommends in the owners manual to wear chaps.... but they also caution against pony-tails, loose jewelry and sandals, so there's that... :D
The best approach for me is to treat the 120 as the razor sharp power tool that it is, using the same skill-set and precautions as any other chainsaw. It is NOT a toy....Scott B.

upnut

So I had some old oak flooring from my son's renovation project to cut up and burn,and I broke out the old poulan electric saw just for fun. As you can see, pretty much an absence of safety items, not even a grounded plug in. Manual oiler, and the oil filler cap/opening very small and awkward to use. Needless to say it won't get much more use anytime soon:

The MSA 120 C is riding along in the saw box on the Grizzly pretty much non-stop, and I wanted something to keep dust, debris, moisture out of the battery compartment....gonna try this old sleeping bag cover bag. Fits nicely in the saw box....

BTW, 4 gallons of fuel thru the 241 and it is running great, very happy!

Scott B.

Thank You Sponsors!