iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade storage ?

Started by KamHillbilly, August 31, 2017, 07:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamHillbilly

I just received 10 new blades they came coiled up my last blades were in a flat box so I left them in it , curious if I should uncoil these blades for long term storage . I wasn't too happy how they were packaged two blades separated by card board with one sitting on the teeth of other one, oh well

Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

drobertson

I would leave them as is till used, then coil and store. Sounds typical regardless of brand, although I do know of two that coil and ship. Either way I've never seen damage from either way of shipping. Your space is the only thing that might determine this.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I prefer the 10 blade cube box.  They stack/store well plus I can easily put one on the back seat of the truck for a quick road trip.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

The ones I get shipped to me are positioned so the two bands are back to back, with the teeth each facing the cardboard to protect them.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Kam,

I get mine in flat packs of 15 with the heavy metal clip and a couple of strong cable ties to hold them together. I never have received them in 2 layers and would not like the idea of the teeth facing each other but would have no problem if sent back to back. I take my bands out of the box and put into a similar sized box I store and transport then in. I have been taking 2 sizes band, one on each side of my box, but to reduce the weight I may rebuild them to fit just one stack.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

I don't think that the blade will come of any harm, due to being coiled!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

KamHillbilly

Thanks I think I'll leave them coiled , just the top two bands were on top of each other the others were back to back . I may make a wooden rack in garage to hang them on

Chuck White

If you're storing your blades long term, first wipe them down with a rag with ATF.

As soon as mine come off the sharpener they get wiped down, and they stay lookin' good!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Pabene

I am convinced that the blades will break soner if stored coiled. If the radius of the coil is smaller than the saw wheel, it will stress the steel in the blade a lot. I would strongly reccomend to take the blade out of the box and release it from the coil situation. Then hang it in a free big loop as son you can.

Magicman

Why so?  Why does the bandwheel diameter become the magic diameter that keeps it from breaking?  True, the smaller/tighter the coil the more stress is exerted, but this is virtually spring steel that blades are made from.

Even so, maybe it is ironic that the cube boxes that blades are shipped in are 18" which is only one inch smaller than my bandwheels.

Every sawyer has their own tried-and-proven method of storing blades based upon what works for them.  Whatever is best for you is what counts, but I would not worry about the blades. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I keep mine like they come when I buy them, up to about 15 of them, it's called flat pack, clip in the middle. Upside is it takes the least amount of space, downside is you have to handle the weight of all of them at once about 25 pounds. 

Least amount of work would be to not coil or fold them at all if you can manage that.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Pabene

I had ordered 10 new blades. (4250 x 38 x 1,1 mm). It was delivered in two package. For some reason it was seven in one box and three in the other. I opened the box with the seven and all seven was "hanged in free loops". The three blades were left in the box, tied as a "bend 8", for about of two years. The smallest radius for the blades could been 4-5". When i finally open the box and started to use the three blades, all three was broken after one or two logs. The seven blades had a long and normal life. I have a card tied to each blade so I can track most of whats happend for each blade.

Chuck White

A quality bandsaw blade (for example my 158" bands, coiled into 3 loops) will not deteriorate in quality or performance when left coiled, as long as it hasn't been kinked or something else that changes the molecular construction!

Magicman

Can you imagine what would happen if these blades started popping?   :o   customersawyer's blades
These plus all factory shipped "flat packs" have bends much tighter than the diameter of the bandwheels.

Chuck White

I wouldn't even want to be in the same County!   ;)

Just sayin'!

KamHillbilly

Thanks everyone but to my disappointment yesterday went to put on new blades I  ordered @ 13'11" it's not 13' 11" too PO ed yesterday to even measure and deal with . Do I have to uncoil and measure them all or did one wrong one get in box ? Fortunately I still had few sharp ones left .

Kbeitz

Quote from: KamHillbilly on September 05, 2017, 12:46:38 PM
Thanks everyone but to my disappointment yesterday went to put on new blades I  ordered @ 13'11" it's not 13' 11" too PO ed yesterday to even measure and deal with . Do I have to uncoil and measure them all or did one wrong one get in box ? Fortunately I still had few sharp ones left .

Just walk a tape measure around your blade.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

KamHillbilly

164 1/4" is a far cry from 167" we will see how this company handles this  mistake . I guess quality employees are hard to come by .

Pabene

Magicman, I am sorry, I understand it was a misstake to use the wheel diam. as a referens. My English is not good enough to explain subject like this. What I can reccomend is to ask some one with good knowledge about stress and fatigue. I think it is less dangerous to store blades "coiled". My three blades were stored in a flat pack as I described as a "bend 8". I can add about coiled blades: as the blade back crosses the teeth it is common the set is impacted in this points. I use to mark the positions at the crossing points before I uncoil the blade. Then I check the set in this aria.

Chuck White

Pabene, Welcome to the Forestry Forum!

If you put your location in your profile, it could help others to understand why things come across a little differently!

Location really does help, even here in the U.S.!

Magicman

No apology necessary Pabene.  Each of us encounter different circumstances and situations concerning our sawing as well as blade handling and storage.  I will quote my last statement in my above reply #9:
QuoteEvery sawyer has their own tried-and-proven method of storing blades based upon what works for them.  Whatever is best for you is what counts, but I would not worry about the blades.

KamHillbilly

Got a response from company to measure one more blade and they will replace . Hopefully it goes well

Chuck White

Thank You Sponsors!