The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Bringing Romex around a Post without Drilling  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Fallguy

Re: Bringing Romex around a Post without Drilling
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
The 3/4 chamfer that was mentioned by Don P.  may be the ticket to the bend radius problem. You well still need the nail plates also.

Offline jb9

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
I just wanted to post an update to this thread.  I was finally able to speak with the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) regarding this detail.  I showed him my renderings and asked him his thoughts.  One thing I was aware of and wanted to share with the forum is that often times, the inspector is only charged with ensuring code compliance.  It's important to be mindful of this and not solicit design advice.  I definitely make sure to respect this reality and ask my questions accordingly. 

That being said, the inspector did feel that all the options would be viable as code-compliant (definitely needing nail-protection on the baseboard detail).  Additionally, RMT and EMT would be fine too as long as bushings were there to protect the sheathing from the sharp end of the conduit.  All in all, it was a great chance to learn from someone experienced who is committed to helping folks out who are building.

Offline MbfVA

• I'm new but the shine is fading...
    • Tanglewood Ordinary Country Restaurant
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 04:51:42 pm »
 in my experience with our local guys (1 woman, but yrs ago!), they can be extremely helpful if you approach them the right way.  Sounds like youv'e got one of those.
www.ordinary.com (really); Jim
Always learning & questioning authority
Peterson WPF 10" Hi-Lo w/ 5' slabber
Dougherty RS3000 Tree Saw
Liebherr 621C, Bobcat A300, 430
NH TN90F, Kubota B3000
Polaris 4 seater, JD old gator
Ford/Chevy/Porsche
and a few more...
Did I mention, a very small bank account?

Offline Wudman

• Forester
  • Eat, drink, and be merry before you go on quota!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2017, 02:31:36 pm »
in my experience with our local guys (1 woman, but yrs ago!), they can be extremely helpful if you approach them the right way.  Sounds like youv'e got one of those.
Years ago I designed and blueprinted my home (I am a farmer / forester....not a building contractor).  I was serving as my own general contractor and needed to apply for the building permit.  I called the County Building Inspector and asked him what he needed to issue the permit.  I assembled that information.  On the morning that I went to the county office, the building inspector that I had talked to was not there.  His assistant looked through my plans and documentation prior to issuing the permit.  She said "it was one of the most complete set of documents that she had ever received.....and you are not a professional contractor".  I told her that I talked to the building inspector and asked him what he needed.  I phone call can save headaches.

Wudman

Offline kantuckid

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:12 am »
All codes aside-HA!, In our log house I used wooden "U" channels to hide wires a few places in my ceilings that all have 2x6 T&G. I made them on table saw from wood strips. Some wires are in routed channels in tops of log ceiling joists. I wouldn't drill that post if I had another way that suited me...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not