Antibiotics and Sun

Started by Don P, August 30, 2017, 09:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

I got fried today... which reminds me I need to go chug some more. But it leads to a question. I've been on doxy for about a week, I'm well tanned, when the sun hit me today I flat out burned up, I'm still glowing bright red. Came home and read the bottle, OK I had Michelle read the darned little print. Sure enough, stay outta the sun... now to the rocket scientist who dreamed this up, If I lived in a cave I wouldn't have gotten tick bit, but don't get me started  :D. So the question is, what does the antibiotic do to the skin that makes tanned leather burn?

Magicman

I Googled it and came up with many hits: 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

That link exploded my virus software...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Wow, it did mine too so I removed the link.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

The link is still showing for me, even after refreshing  ???
Basically it said the same thing "stay out of the sun on tetracycline, doxy and flagyl."
I was more interested in the how the sun sees through your skin differently on anti-b's. Happily it was overcast this morning and I was in the woods cause my nose is peeling, even my knuckles are sunburned. Looks like it might be a shop afternoon, I came out in the rain but got a dozen rafter logs to the mill.

Magicman

Obviously I removed the link and neglected to "save" it.   :-X

Gary_C

Quote from: Don P on August 30, 2017, 09:51:47 PM
So the question is, what does the antibiotic do to the skin that makes tanned leather burn?

From my limited understanding, it's not so much what the antibiotic (tetracycline) does to the skin as it is the drug in your blood stream absorbs more UVA and UVB radiation and causes the burn.

A local farmer I know who is taking the heart medication (Amiodarone) that causes the same sunburn has a beet red face all summer long. Sunscreen helps but does not stop the burn and the associated increased risk of skin cancer altogether.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Don P

Cool, thanks Gary, that makes sense. I must be more sun sensitive to begin with, friends have experienced it but it has chewed me up. I realized last night the sensitivity extends to the eyes, they feel a little like I've been welding without a helmet. Happily it was overcast yesterday afternoon and it looks the same today. I've got some dark woods and shop work that needs doing over the weekend.

coxy

doxy and sun do not mix it fried the tip of my ears the top of my fingers and the tip of my nose  my fingers got so bad they had blisters on them and vary painful  never bothered any other part of my skin the doc told me to stay away from florescent lights also  :-\    you don't need much sun to get fried on doxy been on it 3 times   

Al_Smith

I could probably count on one hand the times I've actually "burned " from the sun .However with hide like a rhino there are disadvantages which caused a skin problem .The dermatologist  put me on tetracycline ,instant sun poisoning ,like in 45 minutes .I gave that stuff up,never again .

Chuck White

I started on Doxy yesterday!

Looks like Straw Hat, and long sleeved shirt at least for the next 21 days!

Dang ticks!     :snowball:
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

69bronco

Just finishing a round of Doxy. Didn't have any sunburn issues, but good info here! Will pay closer attention if there's a next time. Dang ticks is right!

coxy

I had to read this yesterday and  guess what I found a little tiny tick under my are pit while talking a shower  so far no redness but will keep an eye on it if anything happens this will be round 4 for me eerrrr >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

joeziz

Yeah I personally try to avoid antibiotics like the plague. I only would take them if I feel its 100% necessary, cause more problems than they remedy in my experience

Don P

I've heard (you know how good that is!) that if you take 2 doxy's right after the tick bites that'll knock it out... I'm not swearing to anything. I convinced myself this was a spider bite until it blew up.

I'm with you joeziz, I got c diff, a cousin of botulism, from antibiotics and it has taken two family members. They list the cause of death as heart attack but your gut bacteria control your blood pressure. Doxy is not one that is known for causing c diff but I take care of myself anymore. this is the first time I've been on them since then and... well, I'm back up at the house right now and killing a few more minutes to be sure for a reason, they make my tummy roll.

69bronco

Careful Coxy, probably preaching to the choir but you don't necessarily have to have a bullseye to be lyme positive. Better to err on the side of caution.. It's unreal the damage this tiny insect is causing!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: 69bronco on September 06, 2017, 07:58:36 PM
Careful Coxy, probably preaching to the choir but you don't necessarily have to have a bullseye to be lyme positive. Better to err on the side of caution.. It's unreal the damage this tiny insect is causing!
believe me I know I ended up with it not having anything rash or bulls eye the first 3 times the only thing I can say is I have the same thing every time shoulder pain and a head ach the first time was bad I started forgetting where I was going and what I went there for I made 3 trips to a town 15miles away the same day  was asking my wife things over and over she is the one that got me to go to a different doc after she recorded me on her phone and played it back to me  :o  :-X :D

loganworks2

I'm fortunate and have not had any problems from ticks. My son though was hospitalized for five days 2 years ago. He thought he had the flue and went to the doc. They had him undress and checked him all over. They found a red patch behind his knee no bullseye, put him on doxy. The next day his  face was paralyzed, it was man if sting nurologicly. They admitted him and pushed the antibiotics intravenously. The blood test did not show lime. The next day they did a spinal tap and the fluid tested positive for lime. They also put him on prednisone because of the paralysis. They were afraid that the paralysis could go systemic and kill him. Fortunately it did not progress further. He was out of work for almost 2 months and still has some side effects from it now.

coxy

wow not good      you would think the government would do something about the ticks but I guess they have better things to pith the money away at  ;D

Don P

Yer nominated... Coxy, tick czar  ;D

plantman

Everything you ever wanted to know about lyme ... and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZu0wEOFVM8