iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not my normal sighting

Started by Marty, August 30, 2017, 06:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty

Not my normal sighting for South Mississippi.   

Texas Ranger

We have several small herds in south east Texas, have no idea how they survive with the heat and bugs
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I am surprised to see them that far south.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Kinda makes one wonder why??   ???   LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

We have a herd in north central Arkansas.  Even have a hunting season with a lottery.  The tourists block the road sometimes when they are out in the fields.

Little over a year ago they discovered CWD in a dead one.  That triggered a lot of testing and they discovered CWD in the white tails also.  IMO it was only a matter of time until the herd got it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Marty

These guys are behind a high fence. But, they sure did make this Southern Boy put on the brakes.

Larry

Well if they are behind a fence they call that a zoo. :D :D :D

We have a place where this gal keeps all kinds of lions and tigers...there behind a fence also. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sandhills

We rent pasture from a guy that used to raise them for their antlers, quite the pen and set up.  They had to cut them while in velvet, put in freezers, then met at a spot to load them all, he always laughs at how it sure is funny watching a semi leave filled with a flatbed full of deep freezers.

WV Sawmiller

I read a while back that WV now has a small population of naturally occurring elk. Apparently they have naturally migrated across the river from Kentucky into WV. I doubt I ever see a hunt-able population in my life time.

BTW - did you know that when you are talking about an elk in Norway, and probably the rest of Scandinavia, you are actually talking about a moose. So a Norwegian elkhound was actually bred to be a moose dog.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DDW_OR

this morning i am listening to the 5x5 bugling

"let the machines do the work"

reelman65

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 30, 2017, 08:18:47 PM
I am surprised to see them that far south.

Elk had one of the largest ranges of any big mammal in the pre columbian US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk#/media/File:Wapiti.png

75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Magicman

My Colorado season opener is only 6 weeks away.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on September 08, 2017, 09:13:22 AM
My Colorado season opener is only 6 weeks away.   8)

They have a fellow that raises them down HYW 23 about 20 miles south of Bellchase, La. Lot shorter drive there. :D

Magicman

Yup, but then we would miss stopping at the Big Texan in Amarillo.  ;D

starmac

Now that is funny, I lived 90 miles from Amarillo for years, and was there often, as that is where we did most of our shopping, and never made it to the Big Texan. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

We ate a couple of Prime Ribs on our trip North,

but had no time to stop on the way home.

Thank You Sponsors!