iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help Identifying Aspen Disease

Started by HighCountryKris, August 15, 2017, 11:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighCountryKris

Hello all!  I have been searching hard to find out if this Aspen simply has a form of gall?  I could use any feedback on what this affliction might be and whether it is treatable or if we should plan on replacing this tree. Thank you kindly!

Texas Ranger

burls like this usually start with a pathogen of some nature.  Or mechanical damage a possible factor.  Hard to say, but at the base like that I would suspect mechanical damage and subsequent fungus.

There is a famous forester expression.  It depends, which means, eh.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

HighCountryKris

Thanks for you reply Texas Ranger!  I am skeptical that there is much that can be done.  I would like to give my friend some feedback on whether or not her tree will survive.  In your opinion, would it make sense to just encourage her to replace the tree now so the new one can get started growing healthy ASAP or is there a chance that the tree could survive if given some sort of systemic fungicide?  Also, if she chooses to plant a new tree, would there be concern of a concentration of that fungus still living in the soil at a high enough concentration that it would be worth treating the soil there before replanting, or even not replanting there right away?  Thank you for your time!

TreeStandHunter

Being where that gall is located I would remove and replace. Aspens grow so quick it wont be long before you have one of similar size. being at the base the tree will have a difficult time forming a good flare and will have structural issues as it matures.
In the process of building my own mill.

Thank You Sponsors!