iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed/ pole barn build

Started by Florida boy, August 29, 2017, 01:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

Thanks for that. I've done it before without using the img thing on the ends but this time it didn't work for me.

paul case

How does that cinder block stay up there? ;D ;D

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Alligator

Barn looks good. Those are some real pretty old growth SYP. I was looking at your pin point on the members map, you live in the wilderness if the pin point is on the right spot. There should be a lot of good cypress in that area. Did you get the place over behind the prison to treat your post? Joe Jernigan?  Use to be Arnold Lumber Co. a long time ago.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Alligator

Do you know Mr. Doyle from Westville that does the wood burning art?

Florida boy

Cannot say that I do. Does he do good work? I've seen some really good biting around here bug have known who does them perhaps he is one of them...

Florida boy

Yes Arnold is who I use I've had it done a few times but when I cut the good off a few posts 8x8 I could see it was treated tok the core and this is a foot down the post. I'll be using them again in the future. Live in these parts?

Alligator

Quote from: Florida boy on November 08, 2017, 10:38:48 PM
Yes Arnold is who I use I've had it done a few times but when I cut the good off a few posts 8x8 I could see it was treated tok the core and this is a foot down the post. I'll be using them again in the future. Live in these parts?

Yea. In Slocomb, Al. Up 79 just across the Fl/Al line turn right on co rd 9. I grew up all down in the panhandle of Florida. Arnold Lumber Co. was started by Furn Arnold. My father and uncle had a mid size production sawmill in Slocomb. We sold a lot of lumber to Arnold Lumber Co. when it was in Caryville and the old man Arnold had it. He got his start making moonshine during prohibition. The old man Joe Jernigan ran that big sawmill in Graceville when Southwest Forest Products owned it. They were producing so much lumber they didn't have the planer capacity to dress it all.  Trucked all their 1x4s up to us on sticks to dress. I know Joe pretty well. Did a lot of day to day business with him. Great guy.

As long as I run the sawmill, one of my favorite haunts in the summer was Vortex Springs. After a week in the Alabama sun, sawmilling I would go soak in that 68° water for 3 or 4 hours on the weekend. I go floundering in Choctawhatchee Bay a good bit.

Florida boy

I've been busy and haven't posted on this for a while got some other photos to post as well.

Florida boy

John S

One of the posters mentioned Escambia County, I went to CT School (A and C) in Pensacola in 1967.  Was there from February through August.  wow was it humid in August, spit-shined shoes would cloud up immediately.  Very friendly people down there.  I remember the aroma of the paper mills in the early mornings and the beautiful girls on the beach. 
Great work on your shed!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

WV Sawmiller

John,

I grew up in the north end of Escambia County about 40 miles from Pensacola. About 5-6 miles below the Alabama line there at Flomaton. Dad was raised in Dixie County at Old Town about 300 miles away. I remember driving there for visits passing through Cottondale and some others where Dad said the ground was so poor the people had to import their light bread because the dough would not even rise. I do remember stunted Blackjack oaks that never seemed to grow in my entire lifetime.

I enjoyed growing up there and hunting,fishing and gigging frogs in old gravel pits and oxbow lakes/sloughs a the Escambia and Suwannee Rivers. I enjoyed it but left after college and have lived and visited all over the world (Well, at least 5 continents so far) and I found beauty and ugliness everywhere I have been. Same with the people. If you found the people in Escambia County to be nice and friendly I'd bet they still say the same about you.

Good looking shed FB. Keep us posted as you keep making changes and getting it filled which will happen quicker than you'd like I bet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Florida boy

I got the sawmill set up in the shed over the weekend. So much better than before! Changes the roller guides, re aligned everything, and the mill is cutting great. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of how I have it setup. I cut and stacked  2-  22" 8' logs the other day in about 1.5 hours.
   Trying to get better at how much I can produce by myself. Any advice about working manual mill by oneself would be appreciated.

Resonator

quote: "Any advice about working manual mill by oneself would be appreciated."
I eat a good breakfast and stretch out muscles (especially back) before heavy lifting.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

PAmizerman

Quote from: Florida boy on January 25, 2018, 12:50:09 PM
I got the sawmill set up in the shed over the weekend. So much better than before! Changes the roller guides, re aligned everything, and the mill is cutting great. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of how I have it setup. I cut and stacked  2-  22" 8' logs the other day in about 1.5 hours.
   Trying to get better at how much I can produce by myself. Any advice about working manual mill by oneself would be appreciated.
Add a hydraulic log Turner. It's the best thing I did when I still had the old lt30.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Florida boy

Thank You Sponsors!