iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill shed/ pole barn build

Started by Florida boy, August 29, 2017, 01:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

hi, I bought a mill late last year and one of the first things on the list to build has been a pole barn / sawmill shed. once I felt I had enough experience and knowledge to make decent lumber I set out to start milling for the barn. I cut 13 8x8x16' post, and as many 2x8s as I could make. got the pole treated here locally and had a company build some 32' metal trusses from1.5" square tubing, 23' header, and 50 sheets of metal roofing.
  the plan is too have 3 16' bays and one 24' (23' open) Bay to roll logs into the mill. eventually I want to build a dead deck in the opening. I have a Cooks mp32 with about a 20' cut length. the heat this time of year is absolutely unrelenting.it's really slowed me down. what you see here is 2 weekend work for me and a friend.
now that I have almost all the materials I've started work. got all the post set at this point. i poured a pad of concrete in the bottom of the hole. added a little gravel to get the height right then packed gravel all the way up to about 6" below grade. then purred a collar 6x24 around the post. wrapping the post with sand bag material before putting the collar.
I've helped build a couple of pole barns but none for myself or this size. I will add photos as work progresses.

here's the 24' bay

justallan1

Looks like a good start. I'll be watching and learning on this one.
Be safe.

Stuart Caruk

I loved the way a buddy of mine built his horse arena. It was massive, like 100' x 200' or so. He stood the poles like you did. Then he built the roof structure around the poles, complete with the roofing. Once he was done he went to each pole in turn and raised it about 8 or 10 inches with his backhoe, and nailed off some stopper plates. After a few laps around the building he had completely raised the roof. Saved him a ton of extra work lifting all the materials up and finishing the roof. I was impressed.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Florida boy

that sounds very interesting. I've seen at least one member on here that built the entire roof then flew it up with a crane and attached it. sure would cut out all the up and down work.

ncsawyer

Looks good so far!  What's the black stuff around the bottom of the posts?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Florida boy

that is sand bags actually like the black cloth material used under flower beds. trying to keep a little separation between the post and concrete.

D6c

Quote from: Florida boy on August 30, 2017, 12:17:48 PM
that is sand bags actually like the black cloth material used under flower beds. trying to keep a little separation between the post and concrete.

I thought maybe you had put plasti-sleeves on the poles when i looked at the pic.
https://www.plastisleeve.com/plasti-sleeve-info/

Florida boy

well I got the power pole moved from its previous location about 150 from the barn to about 50' from the barn. the power vompany doesn't need an inspection on this since it's deemed agricultural. one less hurdle to cross. Less government influence/insite is good in my book!

samandothers

Great job!  It is difficult to get poles set in a row in a hole and get them in line and plumb!

Florida boy

Here's some progress pics got 3 trusses installed , the 23' header and a 16'x16"x4" beam installed, haven't made as much progress as I would of liked. Between Labor Day r&r and Irma coming thru this is where we are to date on the project...

In this pic I'm the one wearing the gray shirt with back to camera . My good friend John is not wearing a shirt and the one taking the pic is my nephew gage, he live to drive the tractors

This pic showed how we're raising the trusses with my home made boom pole attachment

The last pic is where we are now more pics coming soon!

WV Sawmiller

FB,

Looks good but I hate to tell you - its not big enough. They never are. Sheds are a great project to build right after you get your mill as they are very forgiving and you can use all your practice lumber in constructing them and nobody notices any minor imperfections and your learning curve.

Below is a picture of my shed. I have since added shelves to go vertical and was looking yesterday at adding 2 more shelves on the one internal wall where I have not put one yet. I have thought about doubling the size and adding on to the front but then I run into some access issues. I got used roofing off a barn demo and don't have over $600 or so in mine. I used locust poles off my place for uprights so free to me.

I added a radial arm saw on one end which is as handy as a pocket on a shirt for trimming lumber, bench legs, cutting stickers, kindling, etc. I made 3 bays with about 18' openings. The 45 degree angles on front and back add decoration but mostly strength in case of snow which you will not need. They also keep the shed from ricking side to side.

BTW - I grew up a little north of you in Escambia County near Century Fla. Used to drive through Chipley on the way to grandfathers place down in Dixie County at Old Town Fla.

Keep us posted.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Florida boy

Your right it's not going to be big enough. Even before I started the build I figured it would be a good start but would get filled up fast. I plan on doing all the diagonal bracing I can. These pole barn don't really have anything to stop from racking other than the roofing.

Florida boy

Well I have made more progress on the pole barn but have not taken any photos yet. We still have the purlins to put over the last 2 bays. I have been adding bracing in between each purlin from eve to ridge. I've also milled 2 decent pine logs I cut from my uncle's place and yielded 23 2×8's, a few 2x6's and 2x4's. All of them were about 19'. Hers a few pics of the logs and lumber produced.

I'm thinking of installing a dead deck to load the mill with once I get it setup under the shed. Any suggestions  on the design? Guess I should leave enough room between the rails of it to drive the tractor? Maybe even make it removable? Any suggestions on This would be nice. I'll try to get more done this weekend it's finally cooling off here in the deep South (was 43* this morning)

Peter Drouin

Nice job Florida boy,
smiley_clapping smiley_thumbsup smiley_beertoast
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nopoint

My "dead deck" is wide enough that I can drive my skid steer in between. Nice for pushing up logs, not so nice for 8' logs as they can easily fall off. My neighbor who runs production has his mill slightly in a hill. His deck is flush with ground and they use a couple rail road rails. They drive on when necessary.

fishfighter

Dead rails, I would make them removable. That way one can clean up easy. That is my plan. ;D Going to build them out of some 6x6's. Build tripods to were I will just be able to drop the 6x6 beams in and lift them out with my tractor forks to be able to move them.

Florida boy

That's a grand idea fishfighter. Would need to be some pretty heavy duty stand. I may just make 2  "skids" one for each side. That way can just drag them individually out of the way or shim them as necessary. Thanks for the comments everyone.

DanMc

I love these posts about sawmill sheds.  I need one, but first I'll probably build the small one I'll call a head-shed.  Just big enough to back the mill head into, and everything else stays outside in the rain, for now.  Got to start somewhere, kind of like what Fishfighter and Btulloh started with.   
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Crusarius

Put a separate track in the head shed then you can roll the head right in there and drive the trailer away.

Florida boy

Well here is some photos of a few logs from nice southern yellow  pine trees I cut from my uncle's property. He wanted them gone and I needed logs .... So cut 5 trees in total didn't get all the logs home but there not going any where. Not sure why these are links instead of the actual pics oh well maybe some one can tell me or fix them...

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40874/20171105_151807.jpg

www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40874/20171105_151722.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40874/20171104_173836.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40874/20171104_173829.jpg

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/40874/20171104_164907.jpg

Magicman

Looks like Longleaf.  Nice score.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Florida boy

Yes there are long leaf and shortleaf for sure in the property. Not sure how to tell them from lonlolly and slash. Really nice trees counted close to 100 rings on both logs.

Seavee

Yep, looks like some nice longleaf
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Crusarius

use "[ img ]http://" before the link and "[ /img ]" after the link

no spaces keep the brackets

ChugiakTinkerer

Woodland Mills HM130

Thank You Sponsors!