iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wisconsin cutting & skidding costs

Started by Knute, August 27, 2017, 10:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Wondering how the current costs are running to cut and skid red oak mostly 16" to 30" diameter. Skidding distance 800' to 2000'. Looks like about 40,000 bf.

Knute

252 Views and no replies. I do understand why this is a question better unanswered. Will try a picture of the logs. May or may not work. Haven't tried it before.

barbender

I would answer, but I don't really have any experience in the situation your describing. I think we are in the $45-50 per cord range with the CTL crews. Too many unknown variables to give a price, is it thinning?
Too many irons in the fire

Tarm

A common price for cut and skid in WI is $130/M. The large tree size is good but the long skid is bad. So $5200 for 40M feet. But the real price is what you can get someone to do it for. 

Knute

Thank You. I paid $200/M. I know it is high but I needed to get it done for the Managed Forest Law. Got $527/M for the logs which I thought was good. Will try a picture again. If it doesn't work this time I will need to read the instructions which I hate to do. Never have trouble posting pictures from my card.

nativewolf

you did well I think.  That's a 3/5 to you, or 60% which is more than most loggers would give here in VA.  Nice bunch of logs, what was the species mix?  All cut to 8'6"?
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Looking back I see you were planning on mostly red oak. 
Liking Walnut

Knute

Yes, mostly red oak with a few cherry and maple. Most are 8'-6" with some longer.

mike_belben

I really wish 8'6 was an easier sell here.  The general insistence on 10'6 for a good rate on grade lumber turns a lot of nice short logs into firewood on me.
Praise The Lord

chep

Knute
Great landing picture. I Don't get to see 40 mbf in logs laid out like that .

WHO pays the trucking on that wood? That is the final # to know how you did

Knute

The sawmill which bought the logs is hauling them at their cost . I will get the $527/M with no expenses except the skidding and pay the forester. I looked at the logs again and quite a few are in the 10-12' range.

OH logger

I used to a fair amount of contract loggin and when I would get the "tire kickers" callin and asking what I  charged I would tell the "as much as I can".  ;D
john

killamplanes

Here you would never do any good selling the hole tree to one mill. Seperate blocking, tie, and grade.  Minumum 3 mills. If one mill buys the whack, then follow the trucks leaving they will be turning in the direction the logs pay the most. That's here though. Are mills cut for only certain things not really a one stop shop mill here that pays good for the hole tree... but 527mbf mill paying trucking sounds real good for tree average.. I truck 3 hours round trip to find decent mills.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Thank You Sponsors!