iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water pump

Started by coxy, August 27, 2017, 01:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

is the fan hooked to the water pump on a 6-71 Detroit if so how much of a pita is it to change the water pump I know on the 53s its on the side I can move the fan blade about 1/2in up/down  :o  there is no water/antifreeze leaking out of it yet 

snowstorm

No it's not. The last water pump I DoD was on a series 60. That was easy. The hardest one was on a l10 cummins. In a plow truck so the hood would not open.with the shaft going threw the timing cover with the pulley for the alt. On the front side. Pulley would not come off till I burned it off with a torch

snowstorm

On the 92 series they had a drain on the outside of the pump. So if the seal leaked it would leak to the outside. They would plug up with rust dirt . Then if the seal leaked it went onto the base

coxy

so the fan is not on the water pump  where is the water pump is it like the 53 series on the side

snowstorm

Oliver05262

Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

coxy

ok thanks   how hard is it to change the what every you call it that the fan is hooked to to change that bearing

snowstorm

Dose it have a clutch fan? If so there are 2 bearings in it.

coxy

yes it has the clutch fan ::)  is there anything that's going to fall out of the back side when taking it off the block I think there is 8-10 bolts that hold it on and 2 air lines one small one that goes behind the pulley  and one large that goes in the top   can I get just the bearings  so I don't have to buy the hole unit PLEASE SAY YES  :D

snowstorm

yes or maybe. that make you feel better? take the air line off that goes to the fan stat. if its a horton you may find parts. the last new one i bought was maybe 300. if its a switsher toss it and buy a new horton

coxy

how do I tell one from the other  ??? ;D

treeslayer2003

you got to pull it either way, clean it up and look for a name.

coxy

that's not vary good encourage meant ;D 

snowstorm

You can do it. Take the fan off then the clutch. You would think it would leak air with that much play in the bearings.

coxy

it may  but I cant hear it     I wonder if that's why it will start to run a little hot when pulling a hill    you should be able to hear the fan come on correct  on most trucks you hear the squeak when the fan come on I don't hear it on this    thanks for the help

coxy

well finely got it off tonight wasn't to bad the bearing was so bad it rubbed a spot in the flat plate that the clutch bolts to its the gm clutch fan every one tells me throw it as far as I can then pick it up and throw it again  :D I can get all the parts to put a  Horton clutch fan on it plus the clutch fan used for 300  I'm thinking it was leaking air and not letting the fan on cause the temp would get about 200 when pulling a hill with a load

Thank You Sponsors!