iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cure for my Onan.

Started by Jeff, August 27, 2017, 01:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The day before the pigroast, I was trying to saw out some cedar to build an ice table. My old weak onan suddenly sounded a bit odd, then there was a big old thunk sound, and it got real loud.  The biggest of the twin mufflers had busted off right at the mounting flange. 

It seems any time I run my now 30 year old Lt30, something with that onan causes issues.
Well, when I find time to implement it, I've found the cure. In actuality, the cure found me and for that I am truly thankful!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

slider

al glenn

Chuck White

Looks like the one I replaced my Onan with!

What's the HP on it Jeff?

Mine is a 25hp, really does a good job!

My change-over only took about 2 hours!

Good luck Jeff!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

This will be fun to watch.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

This is an 18. Should be plenty for a manual mill. Lots of things to look forward to. One big thing is fuel consumption. That onan would burn 10 gallons a day.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I love the smell of a new engine when its getting broken in.  :)
You have preformed CPR on a Dodge, and now.....bringing back to life an old band mill will surely make you feel good inside.  :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

The '94 LT40 manual with 24 hp Onan I used to run would barely burn 5.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ladylake

Fuel usage on similar engines per day really depends on how much lumber is sawed in one day.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

If I recall correctly the fuel consumption on an Onan engine welder,18 HP was around 5 quarts an hour .That's at 3600 RPM .On generation it was at 1800 RPM.don't remember the consumption on that .It could drink down 10 gallon in a full day at that .

Al_Smith

There is a world of difference between the opposed piston flat head Onans and Briggs engines as a more modern  overhead valve engine .In both HP output and fuel usage .
For example my Kawasaki 23 HP zero  turn mower will mow twice the grass and use much less fuel that the 18 HP  Briggs engine tractor type mowers I used in the past .It runs wide open all the time on a zero  turn Toro .

chet

I'd swear the Onan I have in my JD 318 lawn tractor burns fuel faster than my Ford 8N.  It's a thirsty bugger, especially blowin' snow.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Al_Smith

I would agree with that .I have a 1951 Ferguson TO 20  with a Continental Z120 engine  with a big bore kit,129 cubic inches .The fuel consumption with a 6 foot flail mower was about the same per hour as an 18 HP Briggs on a 46" deck mower .Not that the price of gasoline to mow the lawn is going to send me into bankruptcy ,just a point to ponder .

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

Onan's were considered a very good engine in their day but it seems to me, at least, the world advanced and they languished behind. Their forte was RV generators, which they did well, as they were quiet and smooth. Expensive to rebuild. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Quote from: Jeff on August 27, 2017, 02:13:01 PM
This is an 18. Should be plenty for a manual mill. Lots of things to look forward to. One big thing is fuel consumption. That onan would burn 10 gallons a day. 

When I had the 24hp Onan on the mill, it was common practice to add gas somewhere in the middle of the afternoon.

I have never even came close to adding gas to the 25hp Kohler!

In fact I've found that the Kohler uses about half the gas that the Onan did!

The Onan is a good engine, in that it is a strong engine and is referred to as "industrial"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DPatton

Wow :o :o :o That's a big difference Chuck! The 27 hp Kohler on my TK1600 will not run all day on a 5 gallon tank of gas. It is typical for me to need to refuel mid afternoon if I run it all day.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Chuck White

Yes, the Kohler uses around 1/3 less gas than what the Onan did.

Jeff

I've had a nasty cold for a week now, but made myself go out today and do something. I'm now back in the house feeling like I shoulda stayed in here, but, I did get a little accomplished. the onan is now in the Quonset tent, and the Wood-mizer still awaits it's transplant on a future date.

47sawdust

Jeff,I hope you feel better soon.I've never been more miserable than a summer cold.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Dave Shepard

Do the engines have the same shaft size? I ran into an issue with a swap I did. The special pulley would not accept a bushing large enough for the larger shaft one the transplant engine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Hopefully I'll be allset with what i have here from Wood-Mizer.

Chuck White

Jeff;  You might find that you have to move the pulley in or out just ever so slightly, I did!

At first it was smelling like the belt was burning and we adjusted the pulley a couple of times, then all was good!

Note:  I ran the big red wire to the alternator through the cutouts in the 1" blocks/spacers!  That way, they're out of the way!

Jeff

Chuck, how so you bolt on those blocks? Do you have a picture of yours?

paul case

That was confusing to me and those blocks only would fit on my machine one way and that missed the holes on the back of the mounting plate if the pulley was lined up. It never was perfect.
The dummy with the wrench never thought about moving the taper lock pulley.
Sorry boss no pic here. She took my camera away when I got a WM.  She said something like no time for pics, you need to be milling to pay for that mill!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Percy

Quote from: paul case on September 13, 2017, 08:03:04 AM

Sorry boss no pic here. She took my camera away when I got a WM.  She said something like no time for pics, you need to be milling to pay for that mill!

PC
"But, I wanna take a pitcher of you Honey." ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!