iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln dried firewood

Started by Duramax3500, August 27, 2017, 01:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duramax3500

Hello everyone, my question is does anybody have a kiln for drying firewood, I'm seriously thinking about building one and getting into that, I'm wondering if it would b worth it,no one within a hundred miles of me offer it,I'm thinking it might b a good selling feature,killing of bugs,etc,etc, plus city folk get all warm and fuzzy when they hear about a unique form of firewood,then run it thru a tumbler to clean it up and I think you would have a very good product,any input or directions to who to talk to would b great,thanks!

leonz

How do you expect to fuel the kiln? lumber mills use all the planing sawdust waste to fire their kilns.

A steam heated firewood kiln with cast iron radiators would be very efficient and provide the high temperature and duration needed to kill insects with a lower cost per hour.   

The only way you are going to make money selling kiln dried firewood is selling short lengths to pizza parlors and wood fired restaurants and bakeries by the ton.
YES it is legal to sell firewood by the ton!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not let anyone tell you its not legal. Kiln drying is firewood is very labor intensive and requires a lot of set up with commercial lumber kiln which is the least costly way to enter the market.

A commercial wood kiln company seller told me the easiest way is to just invest in a small lumber kiln. The biggest issue is killing insect pests and doing it properly with the exact amount of time and high temperature required to kill insect pests.
This is where a steam heated kiln would shine for you.

woodshax

The firewood industry is quickly migrating toward "heated treated" wood which has very defined standards and carries a USDA stamp as apposed to "kiln dried" which is a selling point but does not meet the standard of "heat treated"   Many states already have laws that require heat treating or restrict the distance that the non treated wood can be moved from where it is cut to where it is burned (some as little as 25 miles)....sooner or later this will be the only way to sell to places like National and State parks.  Here in the great Republic of Texas there are no such laws and we do about $200K in firewood sales to DFW area State Parks......We are pushing them toward these types of regulations here because it is good for our business and stems the spread of invasive species and Tree disease.  If you are interested in retail firewood sales you need to start thinking about kilns and the heat treatment process.

Stephen1

I believe using the kiln firewood is a great idea. Who else does it? Who do yo sell to?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!