iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Abandoned house and property rehab

Started by Dobie, August 27, 2017, 10:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobie

We started this about 12 years ago and it's been quite a journey.

We found an 182 acre secluded property in northwest Pa back in 2004.   Property sat back 1/4 mile thru the woods on a right of way.  We didn't even know there was a home there until the 3rd time we visited because of all the overgrown brush and the realtor thinking the home had 0 value.

We loved the land with the seclusion and how it was protected on the bottoms by a creek and swamp and on the tops with a ravine.  The timber had been mismanaged for years but there was good growing stock and the benefit of 2 shallow gas wells on the property. 

This is how the abandoned home looked when we found it.

And what it looks like today.

Dobie

Some interior pics.

Grizzly

Well done! It's enjoyable to see old properties brought back to life. Was the house site secluded from property entrance? Or was it close to access road?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Dobie

Quote from: Grizzly on August 27, 2017, 04:22:21 PM
Well done! It's enjoyable to see old properties brought back to life. Was the house site secluded from property entrance? Or was it close to access road?

House site sits back 1,600 ft from road(small dirt rd).   Our land starts 1,400 ft from the road.

When I spoke to the realtor and asked if there were any issues with the property, she told me other potential buyers were complaining there wasn't any road frontage.  I didn't say a word.  I knew this was the right property for us.

Dobie

The field below the house needed a pond.

Dobie

Dobie

Took a few years but we got the first of a few apple orchards planted in 2010.   This was the largest halfway up the hill. 

7 different varieties.   Disease resistant including"

Enterprise
Liberty
Freedom
Gold Rush
Querina Florina(sp?)
Crimson Topaz
And one other I can't remember.

Dobie

And apple trees 7 years later.

Don P

Wow!  Y'all have been busy. Amazing job  8)

samandothers

Good for you guys.  That was a lot f work I am sure!  House looks amazing.

Dobie

thechknhwk

That's a nice spread, congrats on all your hard work.

Mooseherder

You've done a great job. :)
What a beautiful place.

Magicman

Your labors have been well rewarded.  That is a very happy place.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You are living the dream.
I have done alot of work on just the land here. Nice pictures. I should've done what you did. Take pictures before.  ::)
I did not have a house to deal with here,but cleared off some land and made other improvements to make it easier to mow.
That all looks good.
Less road frontage,less road noise.  ;D
There is more traffic now, than 40 years ago.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dobie

Thank you all.

Yes it's been a lot of work but you don't really realize how much you've done until you start to think about it and look back. 

florida

Man, that is beautiful! I love what you did to the house. Tell us more, please. Are those half logs or did you put up a log house around the old one? What's your plan for your orchard? Apple sauce and cider? Lol!
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Dobie

Yes, we used half logs and full corners for the outside.  We used western cedar for the inside.

The apple orchards were something nostalgic for me.  I had fond memories of the small orchard at my grandparents home growing up.  From Grandma making real apple pies to getting sips of Grandpas special brew(hard cider).  Not really sure what we're going to do with all these fruit trees but we love it and so do the deer.

florida

Looks great. Saw a guy on YT using those half logs with full ends. Gives it a nice look.

My grandfather was a dentist but had a nice orchard behind the house. Like everyone in town, he shared the bounty. One of my favorite memories is going back to the orchard with him and filling paper sacks with apples. We'd carry them to the car and load them in the backseat. Every now and then he'd pull in a driveway which was my signal to jump out, grab a sack of apples and set them on the back stoop.

During the summer identical bags full of turnip greens, okra, tomatoes, etc would appear on their stoop as well.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Autocar

Dream home for sure,very very nice !
Bill

mitchstockdale

Quote from: Dobie on August 27, 2017, 06:43:16 PM
The field below the house needed a pond.

That's not a pond that is a small lake...very impressive!

Dobie

Thanks again for the comments.

Here's some pictures of the land and some work we've done.

In areas where the timber was poor we did small clear cuts to make better habitat for wildlife.

We did three 1-2 acre clearcuts and planted various seedlings. 

Blackberry took over.

Dobie

Here are some Chinese Chestnuts that have started to grow in the clearcuts.

Dobie

Here we planted some pear.

Before

Now

Dobie

We made an extensive road system on our property so we could better manage the timber and the habitat.

Thank You Sponsors!