iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing new cut logs

Started by William1961, August 26, 2017, 06:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William1961

Hello,
There is a campground that is having some Spruce tree's removed next week.
I have an opportunity to buy the logs.
They average 22" and close to 80 feet tall.
I am not set up to mill these logs at the present moment.
I will be soon.
My question is what or how should I store the logs.
I may be able to saw them in November but just in case I have to let them sit over winter will that be a problem.
Any advice as to how to place them on the ground and what lengths should I ask the logger to cut them at.
I will be able to mill 17 foot logs but I can also add an extension to the mill to cut to near 20 feet.

Thanks.

Riwaka

Depends on whether the logs are for personal use or on sale etc.
Could the bc fires effect your wood market etc, so if you don't take these logs you might have to pay more when the fire  damage assessments are fully tallied?
https://fpinnovations.ca/media/publications/Documents/wood-discoloration.pdf

William1961

Quote from: Riwaka on August 26, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
Could the bc fires effect your wood market etc, so if you don't take these logs you might have to pay more when the fire  damage assessments are fully tallied?

It would be a private sale from private land.
And yes I was wondering if the price of lumber will go up due to the BC fires.
I called a lumber yard in Edmonton and was quoted $650 per thousand board feet.
So I want to get these logs soon.

coxy

Quote from: Riwaka on August 26, 2017, 06:32:38 PM
https://fpinnovations.ca/media/publications/Documents/wood-discoloration.pdf
ill have to read all of it I just skipped through some of it thanks for the link 

mike_belben

I urge you to call the nearest mill that youd likely haul them to if you were the logger and see what theyre paying for this grade and species, and in what lengths they want.  If its all the same to you, cut to their length.  Worst case scenario plans change and you sell em before they rot in your field.  Plus youll have a more accurate idea what theyre worth.

Throw down some sacrificial scrub wood and stack em off the ground, will dramatically reduce the bugs and termites that get in.  If cut now theyll be full of sap and prone to dry kinda fast if in direct sun.  Could check the ends, maybe want to try for shady spot.
Praise The Lord

William1961

I did call the local sawmill.
They cannot process anything larger than a 22" dia log.
They have an area at the mill where they keep them.
I inquired about buying some of these logs but they did not want to deal with a small operator.
They want to sell in bulk and had no time for me.
Plus they wanted twice the price that I am getting these logs for.
If they are stored it should be for maybe 2 months.
Also I had some advice to paint the stump ends to limit cracking.

PA_Walnut

As mentioned, keep them off the ground. (I like to use pressure-treated for my high-grade logs since bugs don't like it). They will last a long time on the ground.

Yes, seal the ends with Anchor Seal or really thick paint. Keep them out of direct sun if possible. Use metal roofing to cover them, not a tarp as you don't wanna trap excess moisture and have them stain.

Ideally, push the sawing a bit if you can. Spruce is LOVELY to saw and smells great. If I were closer, I'd help.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Coconut

One thing you may want to think about is that word used (campground)  Trees from places like this can contain nails spikes staples and who knows what.  Advice is cheep blades are not.

William1961

Quote from: Coconut on August 27, 2017, 12:33:32 PM
One thing you may want to think about is that word used (campground)  Trees from places like this can contain nails spikes staples and who knows what.  Advice is cheep blades are not.

Very good point. Thanks.

barbender

William, my .02- over time I have learned to not pay for these types of logs (campground, yard trees, etc.) I'll go get them or pay to have them hauled, but they usually have nails and other hardware. The logger is probably being paid to remove them, he wont want to bring them to a mill because of the metal possibility. I can sacrifice a few bands to saw through the nails, and saw slow where I suspect metal, but this is why I don't want to pay for the logs. It all depends on how bad you want/need them, I guess.
Too many irons in the fire

William1961

That's a good point about metal in the logs.
I will be going to check out these logs and will bring my metal detector with me.
I do believe it can check depths to 11 or 12 inches.
But a old tree can have some history.
Anything beeps then someone else can have them.

barbender

Having to go check them out for metal kind of gets to my point- what do you value your time at? If you have plenty of free time, then maybe not a big deal. Just speaking from experience, I have removed trees from peoples property for them, cleaned up the limbs, hauled it, and when I was all done I started to figure out that with all the time I was investing, I was losing money. The last time I did a job for the wood instead of payment, it was wood there was a decent market for, so I made money. But I will no longer pay for or do labor for logs I couldn't sell. If I can't sell them, then neither can they, so then they are really worth nothing. I'm not trying to discourage you, just advice to have your eyes wide open. P.S. metal detectors don't always detect metal in logs very well, I'm told.
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Campground trees are notorious for nails, screws, bolts, and wire, especially those close to the campsites.
~Ron

William1961

I will try to post some pics of these trees.
Will be going for a road trip on Monday.

coxy

and don't forget about the insulators I sent 2 pine logs to the mill one time and the mills detector never picked  them up they where held on by copper wire and copper staples   will a metal detector pick up galvanized bolts or screws 

Thank You Sponsors!