iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Harvey

Started by Magicman, August 25, 2017, 09:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Hurricane Harvey is destined to cause much misery in Texas within the next couple of days and then much rain/water and possible tornados across Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. next week.

Texas Ranger is probably in full "battle gear" mode with storm prep and/or possible evacuation.

The great majority of the countries oil refineries as well as offshore production, etc. will be affected by this massive storm, so we may expect to see fuel shortages as well as price spikes. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

Yup, putting everything in the office, that I can, on higher ground.  House should not be affected, but who knows what rains we will get.  Logging will come to an end down here for weeks.  Mill closures should not close, but again, who knows.  Our area will probably only see a rain event, although a heavy one, we should fair well enough, generator fuel, freezer full, swamp water on hand. 

Pray for the coastal areas, mandatory evacuation for the entire Texas coast.

Stay tuned.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

grouch

That must be what has been sucking nice cool, dry air down from the north. It's been a relief but it will probably have a high price tag.
Find something to do that interests you.

brad918

If any of our fellow members are in the path of Harvey, God Bless and hope you ride out this storm safely!
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Magicman

The forecast is now showing it stalling, backing back into the Gulf, and then whacking Louisiana.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grouch

It saw your oversized collection of Logrites and decided that neighborhood is too rough. Now it's regrouping to make a run at fishfighter's cabin.

coxy

hope every one stays safe        MM i hope no one in the gas co reads what you wrote  and if the gas price rises I'm blaming you for bringing it up  ;) :D :D

Magicman

Quote from: grouch on August 25, 2017, 02:04:17 PMNow it's regrouping to make a run at fishfighter's cabin. 
I have been concerned about fishfighter (Paul) for several days.  He has not logged on since the 18th nor posted since the 12th.  I called the two phone numbers that I have this morning and left a message on each.  I am hoping that he will soon call me back.

grouch

That's troubling, Magicman. He pushes himself in some pretty extreme conditions, too. Always makes me nervous when there's a gap in his posts for his cabin build and "Whatcha Sawin'". Maybe family convinced him to take a cool, dry vacation.

Magicman

I just heard from Paul and he is OK.  He has had a death in his immediate family (Son) that has required and occupied his time but he appreciates us being concerned about him.  PatD and I met this young son (37) when we visited with fishfighter earlier this year.

My prayer is for Paul and his family as they deal with this loss.

grouch

Thanks for the bittersweet update, Magicman. That's very hard.

Jeez I can't even imagine what that would feel like or how to handle it!

samandothers

That is sad news indeed. 

sandhills

Very sorry to hear that Lynn, our thoughts and prayers are with them, thank you for the update.

btulloh

Thanks for the update on Paul.  His absence from the forum lately was worrying me.  I'm glad he's ok, but sorry to hear about the loss of his son.   

HM126

Texas Ranger

Harvey is now covering about 25% of Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kbeitz

Our news said something about 40 inches of rain... Just WOW...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

Harvey is HUGE. I'm 200 miles from the coast and over in louisiana. Heavy overcast and intermittent bands of showers. Good day to work in the shop..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I saw that on the news!!!!!! The rain measured by a yard stick.  :o   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

It is impossible to imagine that much rainfall with nowhere to go.  We are only forecast to get about 8" toward the middle of next week.

florida

We've gotten about 6 inches in the last 2 days and everything is flooded. Every ditch is full and our creek is running like a race horse. I had to go move 4 pigs to another pen yesterday as the one they were had no dry ground. I guess I'd better go check on them and make sure they aren't swimming. Can't even imagine what's happening in TX.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

btulloh

I've been in Houston when they got 2 or 3 inches in a couple hours.  It flooded a lot of roads and caused havoc.  It was just a hard afternoon shower.  Hard to even contemplate what this amount of rain can do. 
HM126

Roxie

We got 4" overnight last week in a thunder storm.  The ponding on the roads made them impassable for a few hours, and we're in a rural area.  We've had 26" year to date.  Twenty inches from one storm would be a nightmare in any location.   :o
Say when

Idiocrates

We're located just north of Nixon, TX.......it's been raining all day and just guessing at what I'm looking at in the rain gauge it looks like we've gotten 9 or 10 inches so far....and it's still raining.  The wind has been fierce and it's still blowing as well.  I'm kind of amazed any of our trees are still standing.  But the most important thing of course is my lt40 is high and dry in the barn!
James

btulloh

HM126

red

Hope your high and dry Texas Ranger
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!