iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bit of Family History

Started by Ianab, August 24, 2017, 04:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Came across this online the other day.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/photograph/43201/daguerreotype-of-caroline-and-sarah-barrett-early-1850s

QuoteIt is one of the earliest known photographic portraits of Māori.

The young lady on the right, Sarah, is my 3X Great Grandmother.  ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Thinking about it, copyright has probably expired on that picture so I can repost it. ..  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

grouch

You're probably safe.
From Copyright law of New Zealand - Wikipedia:
"Literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works: 50 years from the death of the author"

You also appear protected by the exemptions (from the same source):
"fair dealing for the purpose of criticism, review, news reporting, research or private study"

(Take that with a grain of salt, naturally; it's wikipedia. It does have decent references).
Find something to do that interests you.

Roxie

That's a great discovery.  Sure would love to be able to see a photo of my ancestors 3 X back. 
Say when

Magicman

That is amazing.  My 3X Grandmother was full Native Indian, but I do not have a picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

I have a picture of who is probably my 2x great grandfather, but he is with eight siblings. I don't know which one I am descended from.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I have the same situation with my Granddad.  The picture is of him and his brothers when he was in his early 20's, but neither my sister nor I know which one is him.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

That is a treasure, Ian!  8)

I have seen pix of some of my Great Grandparents and I don't think I want to go any further back!  :o :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

florida

Just amazing! Had you seen it before or was it a surprise to you? It's like time travel
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Jeff

That's great! Ya gotta treasure the photographic glimpses of one's ancestry.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

low_48

Great photo!
I've gotten really active at tracing my family the past couple of years. Blessed to have one cousin that had an extensive collection of photos. This is the oldest picture, 1893. My Great Grandfather is on left in back row, Grandfather is 3rd from left in front row. Photo taken outside Emden, Il.

This second photo in not as old, but again blessed because we have a name index for everyone in the picture. My Father is the little boy in black, standing on his Mother's lap in the center of the picture. My Grandfather is standing directly behind them. My Great Grandfather is holding the first boy of the 4th generation in America. He immigrated in 1885. The infant in the top left corner is still alive, Russell was born April 1924. Photo taken late 1924 in the town of Emden, Il. That house is still standing and being lived in by a distant cousin from my Great Grandmother's family.

Magicman

That is a handsome group, but there weren't many girls.   ???

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2017, 10:06:14 PM

With all those men probably had lots of Sawmills.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kensfarm

My mom's mother was part Cherokee Indian.. you couldn't tell by looking.. but my mom had said that her dad was quite the prankster.  She was the youngest of 10 children.  They had passed before I was born.. but I bet they had some knowledge and stories to share.  This was in Decatur, Alabama.

Texas Ranger

A few of the home folks, grandfather on the left.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

low_48

Quote from: Magicman on August 24, 2017, 10:06:14 PM
We didn't have any girls in my family for two generations. My Dad had 4 brothers, one died at the age of 1. Of that generation of Coers men, they had a total of 9 sons. Then the chain was broken with my generation, all of us cousins have at least one daughter.
One thing about that big picture that impresses me, is that they all gathered together. Today it would take a miracle to get that many families together. But in that day, family didn't move to all ends of the country.
Most of my family were farmers.

Ianab

Quote from: florida on August 24, 2017, 04:36:41 PM
Just amazing! Had you seen it before or was it a surprise to you? It's like time travel

I knew a photo existed, and had seen a low quality reproduction of it in an old family tree. But I didn't know it was actually that unique.

Their Father (Dicky Barrett) must have been quite  a "colourful" character. He arrived in what is now New Plymouth in 1832, and was one of the first Pakeha (White) people in the area. Story goes that as New Plymouth had no good natural harbour it had been bypassed by early traders. The local Maori were getting quite concerned about this, as without trade with the English, they couldn't get hold of Muskets. Meanwhile their sworn enemies to the North (the Waikato tribe) had a trading post, and were well armed with European muskets. So when the locals sighted the sailing ship passing by they launched dugout canoes and chased them down the coast, eventually catching up to the ship. They were than able to persuade the Captain and Dicky to set up a trading station at Ngamotu, and hence could trade local flax (which was used to make ropes) and food for tools, blankets, and especially some muskets. Barrett and Love stayed on, and married the daughters of the local chief. A few years later the Waikato tribe did eventually attack them, and the 2 Englishmen joined in the defence of the local "Pa" (Fort). They had the advantage of 3 small cannons off their ship, loaded up with whatever they had on hand (nails and rocks mostly). After a 3 week siege the attackers gave up.  But the tribe decided to move South where they would be under the protection of an allied tribe, and Barrett moved with them. 

grouch

That's an amazing story.
Careful -- Hollyweird might get wind of it and distort it beyond all recognition.

thecfarm

Nice pictures and the stories are great.
Not many stories on my Father's side,the land I have now.
My Grandparents had a home about a mile from here. They wanted the kids to be closer to school so they swapped houses and land with someone else. Than the school closed when the others moved off from the hill. They would come to my Grandfather and ask him if he wanted to buy thier farm. He would. They owned some land at one time. They even bought back the house they swapped. Seem like most pictures they took were of the animals they had and not family and hunting pictures too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

My Great Grandfather moved to the property that I own as a sharecropper in the ~1865 after the Civil War.  He married, had a family, and continued to sharecrop for the next 30 years.  He bought the first parcel of land in 1899, and the remainder in 1904 which brought his total acres to ~720.  I bought my 346 acre portion a hundred years later in 2004.  Sadly there are no pictures.

LeeB

I did the dna thing from ancestry.com. I'm pretty much 99% plus European decent. I could only trace my paternal side back to 1825 in Prussia. The maternal side goes back a lot further but I haven't researched it a whole lot.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Don P

I'm right certain both sides go back pretty far  ;D. Or as Ben Franklin would say "All blood is ancient".

This is a pic I had in my gallery of my Dad's great grandfather Leonidas (amazes me that simple country folks named their son after a greek general). He's 86 in the picture and going on his first plane ride in 1929. He was also a civil war veteran, he saw some changes in his lifetime. I've seen several pictures of him and he always has a mischievous twinkle in his eye. He always had that little pouch with him, his might bag. "Somebody might give me something and I might need something to put it in".

grouch

You can see the mischief even in that photo.
:)

sawguy21

I have been researching family history, it is really quite fascinating. My mother's father's ancestors emigrated to Wisconsin from Norway, her mother' line from north east Germany. They initially settled in a Lutheran community in Iowa then on to Idaho. Apparently my great grandfather was always looking to get rich without a lot of effort. :D
My father is a mystery. I know from Ancestry.com his forebears were in New York then western Wisconsin but the trail goes cold. One of the men in this picture is probably my great grandfather but which one?

Sure a stern looking lot. I suspect they were English Methodists who weren't known for a sense of humor.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!