iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving a truck with a Prentice on it

Started by krusty, August 23, 2017, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

Gang,

May have found a cheap truck with an old Prentice on it. Like anything sometimes there never is a good deal.....but life is too short not to find out!

It is not close enough to go see but would consider floating it home to me. Lots of drop deck trailers to move it but I am concerned about overall height and may need a float trailer. Even that may be a challenge.

Are they typically just the 4 loooong bolts holding it to the frame? I will get confirmation this weekend on height and model.

K

Autocar

If I remember rightly my rig is 12 foot 4 inches high truck has 22.5's with floaters on the front. and yes you have eight inch and a quarter bolts four on each leg.
Bill

coxy

my 110  sits about 12f 4in also cause my shop door is 12f6in and would not want my hand in between  those bolts can be a bear to get off we have heated them to try and get the nuts off some times it works but most times we just cut them in half and buy u bolt slugs to put back in place  if the loader is a 110 they are heavy

krusty

Thx for the feedback. Seems the hauler I have found so far is limited to 11'2" height so I would need to get really creative.

Crusarius

How much can you gain taking tires off? Does it have tires?

North River Energy

Could you pull the driveshaft and haul it with a heavy wrecker?

krusty

There is a small time railway that runs mere miles from where it is. The guy who can tell me if they could do it is on vacay this week. Aside from the height issue, it would likely be the cheapest route but we will see. Heavy tow truck would be the easiest route but $$$$.

Its like a prime time drama....can the truck get to me for a reasonable price!?

snowstorm

A drop side low bed will not be much over a foot off the ground. The height limit is 13ft 6inchs..everywhere unless a low bridge is posted lower

Maine logger88

Quote from: North River Energy on August 24, 2017, 05:02:30 PM
Could you pull the driveshaft and haul it with a heavy wrecker?
That's what we have done a few times in the past.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Ford_man

If you can find someone with a rail trailer they can haul it with the tires just 3 inches off the ground, if you have enough clearance to drive the truck over the rails. You can also get over size permits to haul taller loads than the legal  limits. Good luck!

mike_belben

If its too far to go see, its pretty far.  And ifs gotta be permitted it wont be a cheap old truck by the time it arrives, itll be an expensive old truck. 

It might be more expedient to just wait for a closer, newer deal thatll cost similar as the distant relic all said and done.  Put out some wanted ads and itll find you faster
Praise The Lord

snowstorm

If it's road worthy you can get a transport permit. You still.need insurance.the last one I bought was 25 bucks

Grizzly

If unit is 12'4" tall then on a 18" high doubledrop/rgn/float overall height will be around 13'10". $500 will buy a trucker a good number of state permits and if no overwidth or overlength its not hard to move. Do you know anyone with access to loadlink or internet truckstop? I've moved a lot of those loads through the lower 48 and Canada and it's not a big deal. Maybe that's not part of the puzzle though.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

krusty

Grizzly

It came in at 12'4" and from what I can tell a low boy trailer would be 18" as you say. Letting the air out of the tires would get it to 13'6" or less without issue. The guy I contacted only has a drop deck so will have to keep hunting around for a low boy.

Funny thing was another old Prentice came up a couple weeks back. I could have bought it on the truck, sold the truck for scrap, kept the loader, put it on something fun and still made enough $ for a soda.

Should not have waffled.

krusty

Here she goes......

The guy with the drop deck loaded it up today and took the front tires off and let the axle sit on the deck. He seems happy with it height wise so will be here tomorrow eve or Monday AM. If he comes before dark I will def get some pics while on the trailer.

It is on an old Mack B61 with a quad box and that is what made it really appealing. Not that I know how to drive one, but heck, should be fun to learn. The price was right and worst case it all goes to the yard as scrap and I would get my $$ out of it but from the pics and video of it all, it is in decent shape and runs just fine. Could use some windows ;)

Krusty.

Grizzly

mike_belben

Nice!

Vintage macks have a pretty strong resto market.  Dont be too hasty in scrapping it before advertising a little.
Praise The Lord

krusty

Mike,

When I say it 'could' go for scrap that really means I would never send it for scrap :)

I just hope it could some day be road worthy again. Even for personal use on the road it requires an annual safety so we will see. Brakes etc are an easy fix but what I have read when you get into some of the rear end bushing replacement on suspension it can get pricey labour wise.

This truck has been off road only for years so do hope the rust is minimal on the lower parts of the cab. Will find out tomorrow at 7 am.

k

bigred1951

Must have pics. I'm partial to old b model macks. They are hard to find around here and either ready for the junk yard or pricey. Sometimes both

krusty

I have looked at a couple old B models and the cabs were all shot and some have not run in 20 years. Was doing a random search for log loaded on some classifieds when I saw one on a nice old round headlight mack. Starts and runs fine, shifts no problem, only got up to 4th so far due to the lack of runways!

Am pleased with the condition of the cab on this one forsure. Dented and surface rust but solid as heck for something from ontario.

offsite photos removed by Admin

Grizzly

Good find. So, a full restore? Keep it a working truck? Or what's the plan?

I wonder what the story is behind the "Wild Pop" on the hood?

Gearbox

Is that engine a 170 WO turbo or a 205 with turbo .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

krusty

I would like to keep it a work truck (hobby) with some fresh paint if possible. While I do appreciate those machines which are restored to near mint......I am just not a shiny guy to keep it that way.

The engine has no turbo and maybe this weekend will get some drone shots of it doing some work for fun.

kensfarm

Put it on the trailer then jack and take the tires off..  13 6 is the legal height in PA

Thank You Sponsors!