iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is a 290 worth it for a smaller/backup saw?

Started by Axe and Anvil, August 23, 2017, 01:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe and Anvil

I grew up doing small scale logging to feed our Woodmizer, and Dad always liked to keep a bigger saw (044) and smaller saw (260 Pro) around. I like this practice pretty well, and a second saw is pretty indispensable, especially with my propensity for getting pinched.  ::) I bought my own 460, and I LOVE that saw! I have a logging project coming up, and I'm thinking about a second, smaller saw.

I recently picked up a 290 from a local that frequents auctions/auction houses, and it is missing it's sprocket cover and handlebar, and bar/chain. The 290 is a bit heavier and bulkier than I was thinking for a second saw, and from what I read, is not super popular with the pros. But at a WHOPPING $5, it was irresistible.  :o :D  And since it appeared to be fairly straight, and SEEMS like it has strong compression, I thought I'd see if I could get it to run. I cleaned the NASTY air filter, put some fresh fuel in her, and after a few pulls, she fired right up, and runs and idles great!  8) At only $5, I'm thinking I can afford to grab some used and new parts for it, and have me a second saw. 

What do y'all think? After I get it put back together, is it worth setting it up with a good 18" bar/chain, modified muffler, etc for a second saw, or should I just get it running and trade it off for a 260 or some other lighter saw with a better power/weight ratio?
-ad regem-

On instagram @axe_and_anvil

Use 1988 Woodmizer LT40HD, Kubota L3710, Stihl MS-460 Mag

Living in and finishing 20x27 two-story dovetailed log home

Hand tool nut- love all kinds of traditional handwork

Aspiring blacksmith- 10x10 shop, coal forge, two anvils- making hand-forged hardware

Banjo picker

There is one at work.  Its a pretty good saw.  I normaly grab the 270 though.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dougand3

For that price, try it out. You need a D025 mount bar. Check Left Coast Supplies - sponsor hyperlink above.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Ianab

I have a ms310 that's a slightly more powerful bigger brother to the ms290. It's not a "pro" saw, but it's been 100% reliable and always starts and cuts. And that's the most important thing with a chainsaw. It should make a perfectly Good backup saw.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

There are lighter faster saws in the 50-60cc range but for the price it can't be beat. Put a bar and chain on and run it like you stole it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Quoteand run it like you stole it.
For $5 he did  :D

Even if you have to spend $50 to get it fixed up it's still a good deal.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

Its a clamshell.  If it ever starts running "hot" or wandering out of tune.. STOP.  The base sealant probably sprung a leak and your jug and piston will make love in 3..2..

Hobbyists love the farmboss. Shine it up with a brand new 18-20" closeout bar and chain combo, and list it for $400bo before it dies on you and you discover the frusteration of trying to vacuum test a clamshell stihl for leaks.   Then go buy your 026.  They arent comparable.  The 260 is an excellent saw, and im a husky fanboy.

IMO.. You run a ms270/290/310 until it dies.. Could be never.  You run a ms260/280/361 etc again even AFTER it dies.  Just the nature of crankcase vs clamshell.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!