iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coon, possum, horse?

Started by bigred1951, August 23, 2017, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Buffalo is good but needs fat added to cook, it is very dry and fine grained. Sure makes good burgers. I like elk too but again needs fat added. Had mountain lion at a fish and game banquet, it was quite tasty.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TKehl

I think WV sawmiller wins.  I'm pretty open to eating a lot of things.  A few I would turn down.  Armadillo was the only one I saw that made me  :o!

I've had elk, antelope, alligator, moose, buffalo, rocky mountain oysters, real oysters, squid, octopus, eels, crab, goose, goat, coon, squirrel, roadkill turkey, and all the normal wild and tame stuff.  I don't think the coon was cooked right, but it was the end of the game dinner and may have been in the warming tray too long.  Would try it again. 

The mountain oysters were the most interesting.  They were fried for lunch for the farmer I was working for.  Halfway through the meal he asked if I liked the beef nuggets.  I said yes, then he told me what they were.  I took a look at my fork and thought, "well, they've been good this far", and kept eating.   :D

I'd try possom just to say I did, but don't want to cook one just to say I did.   :D

I'd like to try snake. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WDH

I have had it, but, I have given up on rattlesnake.  It can smell musky as you bring the fork to your mouth  :).  That is a smell in nature that I usually shy away from  :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ppine

Game meats all are lower in fat than domestic animals. There are two great ways to cook elk and buffalo. The best cuts can be grilled and served pretty rare.  A marinade and basting works well. For everythng else I like to cook them in a Dutch oven on a fire with a lot of liquid like apple juice, wine, or beer at low heat.
Forester

WV Sawmiller

ppine,

My favorite when using a Dutch oven is use mushroom soup as a base/gravy. We use it a lot with venison.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chris Burchfield

I've eaten chocolate covered ants, fried grasshopper, bear, bbq beaver about as exotic from southern raising.  Beef, lamb, deer, gator, fish (bass, catfish, brim, perch, mahi-mahi, swordfish & shark.)
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Al_Smith

My father was a deer hunter so I grew up on venison .Not good Ohio corn fed white tail .Colorado mule deer that eat sage brush,kinda gamey.
Other than that squirrel,rabbit ,pheasant,frogs,turtles ,crawdads ,a muskrat once,groundhog,quail ,wild duck,goose .

gspren

I've had most of what's mentioned other than the cat type critters. I will say if you only try something once it's not fair to say it's no good as I've had bear I didn't like and bear I thought was great, same for a few other things. let an Angus bull get old enough to vote and he won't be fit to eat either. When in Subic Bay, Phillipines during the Viet Nam era I had "meat on a stick" from sidewalk venders that may have been monkey or ??, but after a few beers it wasn't bad.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ianab

Well, we have now tried Crocodile.

Caught up with my younger son in Wellington last night, that's about 4 hours away, so we don't get to see him that often. Anyway, not knowing the city we ask him where he wanted to go for tea. He consulted his workmates and suggested a pizza and bar place on the waterfront. It wasn't cheap, but at least the pizza and service was good. Anyway, scanning the menu Lil spies Crocodile, marinated in tequila and lime, on a pizza. She decided we had to tick that one off the list, and ordered one.

Made a perfectly good pizza, although the croc chunks were a bit chewy.

They also had a "make your own" option for the kids, where they bought out a small base, and little bowls ingredients. Taylor and Lara had a ball loading up ingredients, then they took it away and cooked it. It was kids ingredients, ham, chicken, tomato, onion and of course pineapple. But if they didn't want onion, they didn't have to put it on.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

A small town 10 miles away (Petersburg) has an annual event called "Bash in the burg", they have a rib smoking contest and live music plus a few other activities.  The cookers also get a mystery meat to cook and get judged on that also, alligator was the meat last time we went, they hand out samples all night, sort of a peoples choice sort of thing.  Some did good with it, others turned it into leather, but I didn't mind the better cooked stuff.

tree-farmer

All this makes me think of the story about the diffrence between northern zoo's and southern ones. Both have descriptions of the animal, the southern ones list serving suggestions :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

coxy

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I married a girl from Newfoundland, Canada. That fact is directly responsible for what I consider my most unusual dining options.

First, I've had moose several times. The better the cook, the better the moose tasted.

Second, I've had pickled pork tongues. They're "pickled" in salt-brine and are actually very good, much like ham.

Third, I've had cod-fish tongues. Battered and fried they are delicious.

Lastly, I turned down the chance to have seal "flippers". My mother-in-law loves them but neither my wife or I can even stand to be in the house when they're being prepared.

coxy

I remember doing pickled pork tongue they where in the jar for about 2 months and said to my buddy lets open a jar of them we started to eat one and it was like the tongue was biting you back after we looked at them we realized we for got to peel the skin off them before putting them in the jar  :o :D that's what happens when to many adult beverages are involved   :D     

moose207

Havent had much of the weird stuff but i like moose over bear, bear is not very good unless you get all the fat off when cutting it up. My stepdad guy growing up was\is a maine guide and im pretty sure if you could kill it he would make it into jerky.
Caribou has to be my favorite wild game but moose buger\ saugage sos is hard to beat!
I was always told that beaver tail was very popular amoung the loggers and trappers up north, apparently after you skin the tail its just like a steak.
Ms270c (18"bar), ms440 (18" bar)

Logger RK

A trapper friend of mine tells me,usually the raccoon carcasses don't get ate by the critters. He say if they don't eat them,he won't. But I guess if there's a good way to cook them maybe. And I would image older ones wouldn't be as good.

barbender

I ate some porcupine once. I wouldn't recommend it👎
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

I am sure if you were hungry enough you wouldn't be picky. I once had bear, I didn't particularly like it but we were a long way from home or the nearest restaurant so I managed to get it down. It might be alright properly cooked
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

In 1973 a rancher in Wyoming told me that it once was illegal to kill a porky because it was deemed as a food source that a person in a survival situation could easily kill with a stick.  I think that he was glad that he had never been in a survival situation.   :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bigred1951

I'm surprised this has had a lot of posts. It's fun reading about everyone different experiences. Seen that this thread was moved to the woodshed for what I don't know but it's now still here? So much talk about food now I'm hungry

LeeB

I saw that too and couldn't figure it out or why. Maybe the guy who moved it will give us a clue.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

I betcha the guy pressed a wrong button.  :)   I saw that too and than a few minutes it was back. I was upset,because this is a good thread and did not want to see it gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

OK.  I am the culprit.  There was a new member that I approved.  He immediately posted in this thread about removing rabid raccoons and provided a link to his website promoting his raccoon removal business.  Joining the FF to advertise for your business free is no allowed.  So, I wanted to remove his post as is protocol, but instead of just removing that post, I had a senior moment and removed the entire thread, which sent it to the Woodshed.  Realizing the mistake, I moved it back to the Food board where it should have stayed and then removed the post that I originally intended to remove in the first place  :-[. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bigred1951

So it's safe to say I've been to the dark dreaded wood shed and made it out unscathed 🙂

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: bigred1951 on September 24, 2017, 08:07:22 AM
So it's safe to say I've been to the dark dreaded wood shed and made it out unscathed 🙂

Yes, but you now have a chip in you for tracking purposes.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!