iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

South to north machines

Started by Duramax3500, August 24, 2017, 07:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duramax3500

Does anybody have any input on buying a machine from the south and moving to the north,working in pine in the south doesn't seem to take a toll on the machine versus hardwood plus the prices seem cheaper other than trucking, are they built different for the south versus north,,any input would b great?

loggah

A lot of southern machines that come up this  way,usually grapple skidders need the torque convertors and transmissions redone. Hot weather and hard use  will take their toll, they usually look real nice,havent been run over the boulders and rough ground we have around here.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Logger RK

A friend of mine bought a Timbco with hot saw from Georgia last fall. Only paid 8k for it. It did cost 4K to get it hauled. But around these parts it'd go for 30-40k. He's been working it a lot with no issues.

Duramax3500

I was wondering about what the heat does,the prices are 30k to 40 k cheaper than what they sell around here , if you can even find one around here, I think it would b worth a shot, even if you have to have the tranny,torq redone. Even with trucking you would still b way ahead,plus the hours on most of the machines I looked at are in the 7k range versus 11k to 12 k around here, most of the local dealers want to sell you a 250k CTL machine,which I have absolutely no interest in getting into,the winters are getting warmer around here so winter logging ain't so bad,thanks

Gary_C

Big concern is the southern heat taking a toll on O-rings and seals. Most newer forestry machines have much improved hydraulic cooling systems but older machines not so much.

The other concern is water (condensation) in all tanks and filters. Best to change all oils and filters before the machine sees freezing temps.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

barbender

I know them southern fellas have a tendency to trash CTL equipment, and the heat is tough on hydraulic system components.
Too many irons in the fire

kiko

It's not just CTL that get trashed around here.  Nothing is safe,  I have bought 6 or 7 year skidders for just over scrap price and all they are is parts machines.   Often it boils down to there is not enough money to repair so it gets run till it won't. 

barbender

I was hoping you'd chime in, kiko. I didn't want to paint with too broad of a brush, and you know what goes on down there better than anyone probably. I do know of Ponsse machines from the south that have been traded in with fairly low hours that were just parted out by Ponsse.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!