iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pickup frame rust

Started by luvmexfood, August 23, 2017, 12:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

I have a 2001 Ford 150. What seems to be a common problem the frame is rusting away. Time, or past time, to do something to try and salvage. My plan of attack is to remove the rust and spray on some kind of undercoating. Anything I do will be done at ground or ramp level because I don't have access to a lift.
Can think of four possible methods.
1. Use a drill or angle grinder with a wire brush to remove rust.
2. Pressure washer as much as possible with fine nozzle to blast rust away.
3. Some type of abrasive blasting.
4. Not sure of the exact name but an air powered tool. Has a bunch of prods that come out.
Anyone with experience or suggestions. Other than the rust the truck meets my needs and most importantly, it's paid for. Hundred thousand miles, runs good and it's dependable enough to travel on the road (if you can afford the gas) yet rough enough to use on the farm. Any input will be appreciated.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Texas Ranger

I think you are looking for a pneumatic chipping iron.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kbeitz

needle scaler... and they work great...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bigred1951

My 96 chevy z71 frame getting bad. It's the ext cab short bed with 269,000 miles. The rear passenger spring hanger actually broke off the frame. The hanger itself didn't break the frame did which put a nice little dent in the bed floor from the spring now smacking it. It's also starting to get a hole in front of the spring hanger. I'm gonna just buy a whole rear frame section from junk yard cut my rusty one off. Weld and plate the good one on then keep driving it till it either falls apart or the motor or trans gives up.

sprucebunny

I've spent a lot of time battling rust.

Pressure wash. Let dry . Wear goggles and chip/scrape off more rust. Blow with air. Rub with grease.

My vehicles that have just light surface rust I spray with Castle Endura from Aubuchon's. (spray grease)

The advantage of grease is that you can see thru it. An undercoating can hold in moisture and you can't tell untill too late.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

west penn

Research  "Fluid Film"       Good stuff for stoppimg rust.

Ox

Needle scaler, then once a year in the fall spray down with Fluid Film.  1 gallon should do the trick.  You need an undercoating gun to spray it.  It's possible to thin it down with diesel or kerosene but I think the protection diminishes a bit doing that.  Every year it'll take an hour of your time.  The first time will be several hours including the scaling.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

moosehunter

"Chassis Saver" is a very good product. Clean off the loose /flaking rust then brush it on. Lasts for years if not exposed to sunlight like on a truck frame.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sawguy21

red, if your frame is that bad there will be nothing left to weld on, you will just blow holes in it. My 97 Ranger is getting to that point too, if the frame comes unglued I'll just donate the truck to the kidney foundation and collect a tax receipt. Beater trucks are cheap.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bigred1951

The frame from spring hangers to front is good. Just the back end for some reason rotted out

Tom the Sawyer

I bought a couple of cans of Fluid Film and was very pleased with it.  So... I bought a couple of gallons on a BOGO deal with free shipping.  The stuff in the gallon cans is quite thick (think warm peanut butter).  I thought it was the wrong formula so I called them to find out.  According to them the stuff in the spray cans is the same as the stuff in the gallons, just thinned to spray.  The recommended thinning agent is vegetable oil - like cooking oil, the cheapest you can find is fine.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

west penn

Sawguy     The frames on rangers are two piece...  behind the cab  3 rivets on each side. Drill em out, put junkyard frame on with bolts and your good to go.  easy fix.

coxy

Quote from: west penn on August 24, 2017, 11:31:28 PM
  Sawguy     The frames on rangers are two piece...  behind the cab  3 rivets on each side. Drill em out, put junkyard frame on with bolts and your good to go.  easy fix.
its like they new they where going to rot out

sawguy21

Where do I find a junkyard frame for a 20 year old truck that is any better than what I have? By the time I finish fixing everything I will have more in it than the vehicle is worth. I need it one more winter as I will be moving next spring, my 2wd Ram ctd won't climb the driveway, then it is down de road. It has served it's purpose.

grouch

People think I'm odd for having bought only one (1) new vehicle in about 40 years. Still waiting for one that provides value to match its price.

I've read accounts of $30k-50k trucks with the frame rusting out by ten years old. That's disgusting. Too much pretty, too much marketing (they flood football games on tv), too much exec bonuses and not enough authority for engineers with skinned knuckles.
Find something to do that interests you.

sawguy21

You should see the amount of road salt used in some areas, vehicles are solid white below the door handles after coming off the highway and there is no easy way to remove it from the undercarriage regularly. Corrosion protection has improved but it adds to the cost and is not foolproof.

luvmexfood

Was going to pick up a scaler this weekend while taking my daughter back to college. Unfortunately didn't get a chance. Time I got her moved in and settled with some unexpected expenses money was a little tight. Second to that, as I started back the interstate was partially blocked due to an accident. Four lanes one direction funneled down to two in the area where I needed to exit. Already saw one truck pulling a tractor on a trailer have to force his way over because a minivan wouldn't let him in and two vehicles stop in the road and the occupants get out and almost coming to blows. Still had six hour drive ahead of me so didn't stop.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

snowstorm

the cheapest way to fight rust is fulid flim or bar chain oil mixed with diesel fuel. ff being better because it will creep. it moves by itself how? dont know. spray it in late fall and dont wash the truck till spring. on ford f250 and up also spray the inner front fender support. its part of the cab. the way to many holes under the cab. everything under the body including the inside of the rails that support the bed. the door drains and pull the plastic panels from behind the seat. then you can get the inside of the cab corrners

Thank You Sponsors!