iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly G-1140 Edge Sander Warranty

Started by Solomon, August 22, 2017, 12:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon

I just wanted to chime in about my new Grizzly Shaper and Edge Sander.   I have heard some bad press about Grizzly and their Warranty/customer service.
I had a very positive experience with them on two machines I purchased from them.  (New Machines).
The first was about a year ago, maybe a little longer than that, It is the model G5913Z  5HP Single Phase, Tilting Spindle Shaper
  (and a couple of thousand dollars worth of their Cutters).    They had free shipping and a sale on it at the time.   Laguna wanted $8000.00 for the exact same machine with a different color paint job plus shipping.  Grizzly delivered it to my door for $2995.00 and its every bit the machine the Laguna is and it was perfect with no problems right out of the crate.  I have about 5 or 6 hundred hours on it now and it performs perfectly with no problems.  And I have been pushing some pretty large cutters with it (The five wing, inch and a quarter bore) , making raised panel exterior doors, passage doors and cabinet doors, as well as  T&G V groove paneling and Hard wood flooring.  No Issues.
The other machine is Grizzly's G1140  Edge Sander.   I purchased it in February  this year  (2017).   It had less than 1 hour on it and the start windings burned out of the motor.   I called Grizzly, and they shipped a new motor out to me that same day, no questions asked, and did not want the old motor back.  They told me to keep it for parts, and then asked me if there was anything else they could do for me !
  If you ask me....  I just doesn't get any better than that, they did everything to make it right and treated me with respect and courtesy.
The next time I buy a new machine, if they have it, I will be buying it from Grizzly .   smiley_clapping smiley_applause
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

opticsguy

Grizzly is 5 miles from my home and I have had 100% satisfaction with customer service since the first year they opened.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

PA_Walnut

Good luck with Grizzly here too. On a related note, congrats on the edge sander. I recently bought a big Jet edge sander and, like many before me have said, I don't know why I didn't get one MUCH sooner. I used to all them time!

Enjoy.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

Best customer service in the Industry, bar none.  I have 2 grizzly planers and 2 Grizzly jointers.  They have performed flawlessly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Quote from: opticsguy on August 26, 2017, 12:42:42 AM
Grizzly is 5 miles from my home and I have had 100% satisfaction with customer service since the first year they opened.

Next time you get to the store say Kevin said hi. 
I was a tec at the Pa store and I knew almost everyone. 
I really miss the place when the Pa store closed down.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

low_48

With Grizzly, you get good, or you get bad. (personally, I would have been pretty irritated to have to repair such a new machine!) In my case, it was really bad. I ordered an 18" bandsaw that shook everything off the table. I looked at the bottom cast iron wheel, and it had steel plates attached to one side, and a row of 10 holes drilled on the other side. The casting was so poor, that one side was machined on the face, the other half was not. They sent me a new wheel, but no new bearings. The only way to get the bearings out, was to pull on the inner race so I asked for new bearings. I made a drift to set them in, then put the assembly on the shaft. The pulley on the back side of the wheel was the wrong one, so had to pull the pulley off my old wheel. Got all that together after a couple of weeks of ordering and waiting parts. Fired it up and the top wheel was bad, still nothing would stay on the table with the saw running. I requested a return, and they took it back. I really hate to be their quality control and repairman, with no compensation. That's why they have such good customer service, because they don't have to pay for quality control at the factory. I'll never buy another machine from them, that band saw should have never been shipped!

21incher

As low 48 said I think it is hit or miss when you buy from Grizzly.  The machines made in Taiwan seem to be better, but I  had a YouTube subscriber buy the same saw that I am happy with that came from Taiwan and get one that could not be aligned because of improperly machined castings. You are responsible to pack it back up and get it to the truck to return it for repairs. I just went through a battle with them over a planer I purchased from them that came from one of their Chinese factories and will think twice before buying any more large machinery from them.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

I was quality control and I only got to inspect around one out of every 100 machines
that came in the door. It was not to often that I would find a problem. I agree that the
Taiwan machines are better. From what I have seen I would buy from them again.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

low_48

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 30, 2017, 08:57:10 PM
I was quality control and I only got to inspect around one out of every 100 machines
that came in the door. It was not to often that I would find a problem. I agree that the

So if you only inspected 1%, and you still found some problems, it's no surprise it can be hit or miss.  Did those problem machines go to the scratch and dent tent sale, or did you patch them up?

Kbeitz

Quote from: low_48 on August 30, 2017, 11:45:19 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on August 30, 2017, 08:57:10 PM

So if you only inspected 1%, and you still found some problems, it's no surprise it can be hit or miss.  Did those problem machines go to the scratch and dent tent sale, or did you patch them up?

If we found a problem then more would be inspected. If we could fix as new we would.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

I guess I got lucky on the machines I bought,  I bought their
5 HP  Tilting Spindle Shaper , new in the crate and it runs like a dream.
The edge sander I bought new as well and they replaced the motor.
I allowed an inexpierenced man use it and what I believe happened was,
he was leaning into it hard enough to slow the motor down enough and long enough that the centrifical switch was closed long enough to burn the start windings out of it.   So that really was no fault of the machine.
  I have their 24"  double drum sander that I bought used and it seem to work fine.
  I have heard it said many times that you might get a good machine and you might not when you buy from Grizzly.
So far I've had pretty good luck with them and I will buy from them again.
The savings on the price of the machine is worth having to ship a machine back or replacing some bearings or even having a rotating part balanced.
Grizzly delivered the Shaper to my door for right at $3000.00
Laguna wanted $8000.00 for the same machine with a different color paint job.
Plus Shipping !
I'm going to keep rolling the dice with Grizzly.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Solomon on November 06, 2017, 09:43:22 PM
I guess I got lucky on the machines I bought,  I bought their
5 HP  Tilting Spindle Shaper , new in the crate and it runs like a dream.
The edge sander I bought new as well and they replaced the motor.
I allowed an inexpierenced man use it and what I believe happened was,
he was leaning into it hard enough to slow the motor down enough and long enough that the centrifical switch was closed long enough to burn the start windings out of it.   So that really was no fault of the machine.
  I have their 24"  double drum sander that I bought used and it seem to work fine.
  I have heard it said many times that you might get a good machine and you might not when you buy from Grizzly.
So far I've had pretty good luck with them and I will buy from them again.
The savings on the price of the machine is worth having to ship a machine back or replacing some bearings or even having a rotating part balanced.
Grizzly delivered the Shaper to my door for right at $3000.00
Laguna wanted $8000.00 for the same machine with a different color paint job.
Plus Shipping !
I'm going to keep rolling the dice with Grizzly.

If it comes from China stay away. If it's made in taiwan it's good.
They sell both.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

Ya'know,  I never paid any attention to that but I will be from now on.
Thanks for the heads up on that.  I really appreciate that tip.
By the way , What is an "ISO 9000 factory "   they so proudly display on the pages of some machines ?

Larry

The way I understand it, a company needs to have written standards.  The idea is to promote quality and efficient manufacturing.

The kicker is the standards are different for every company.  Company A may specify bearings to be shiny, round, and not to exceed 29 cents.  Company B may specify bearings be made to meet all kinds of technical requirements and the cost will be a 100 times the bearings company A uses.  Since both companies have written standards they can be called ISO 9000 compliant.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

ISO 9000 is a set of international standards on quality management and quality assurance developed to help companies effectively document the quality system elements to be implemented to maintain an efficient quality system. They are not specific to any one industry and can be applied to organizations of any size.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.  I will keep that in mind the next time I buy a machine.   I suppose I would do well to make calls and ask questions about who makes the parts and what standards thos parts meet.
Unless of course I were buying really high end stuff like Martin equipment or other comparable machines, but I don't see myself being able to afford that.

Thank You Sponsors!