iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some advice needed on Ducks

Started by joe_indi, August 21, 2017, 01:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_indi

Hi, this is Joe from India. I am more active on the Chainsaw forum. I dropped in here for some advice on a strange phenomenon, if I call it that, regarding ducks  ???
I am posting the extract of a post on an Indian food forum that I am a member of.
You will read the term 'Kuttanadan Duck' below. This refers to the duck from a Kuttanad, in Kerala,a region in Southern India.
I am from the region and know that ducks available there are seldom farmed there, but brought from elsewhere.

Quote.............the Kuttanadan duck. I order from an online service from time to time and have always been very satisfied. However this time the duck wasnt dressed well with black hairy stubs all over. I had to clean manually and throw much of the skin away. The service is very prompt with queries and complaints. On receiving my feedback this is what they wrote. I am very intrigued. Is this a fact?

"The most tastiest version of the Kuttanadan Duck is the Male duck – unfortunately, regardless of how you clean the male duck after slaughter, after some time small hair grows back in the product. This is a known limitation of the male Kuttanadan duck (you can try this out at home by plucking the hair out of the duck that we supply and leaving it for 6 hours). The only effective option against this is deskinning (which removes the taste – unlike Chicken, Duck is better with the skin) or using certain chemical cleaning agents to remove the hair as done in large meat processing centres which we don't endorse or do.

Most Kuttandan duck eaters understand this limitation, but I know that is not going to solve your immediate concern. So going forward we are experimenting with the female kuttandan duck which can be plucked in a much better fashion than the male duck. It will still have some remnant hairs but the % is going to be much lower than other meat.
....Unquote ::)

Is there really such a phenomenon of re-growing feathers on a dead duck? ???
Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Joe

drobertson

I find this hard to believe,,only had a few ducks myself, once cleaned they are either froze or cooked pretty quick.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Texas Ranger

Skin drys out and hairs edge out.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DelawhereJoe

I have heard people say that after someone dies there hair and nails continue to grow as well. You could always try taking a propane torch and burning the hairs off, can't remember what bird it in that you need to burn the pin feathers off of.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

drobertson

don't make sense,, I have mallard breasts in the freezer,,,,no fuzz, no anything,, this makes no sense,, seen water fowl for the last 7 years,  no feathers growing, no anything, this is kind of ,,hard to say,,, dumb,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tree-farmer

That is a pariducks..... (paradox)  bad pun
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

millwright

Take a blowtorch over it very quickly , it will eliminate all the stubble.

Thank You Sponsors!