iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old single sided planer rebuild

Started by Quebecnewf, August 21, 2017, 05:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

Fantastic looking restoration!

I've run round heads and square heads and the only one that ever kicked was a round head. 8 ft 2x4 sent about 50 feet and stuck in a pack of lumber and had only dropped about a foot in that distance. And the problem was human error.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

I'm sure you checked that you have the right rotation. ;D

Darrel

Quote from: fishfighter on November 03, 2017, 06:24:18 AM
I'm sure you checked that you have the right rotation. ;D

Yup, but when there is nothing holding the board, you're at the mercy of that rotation.  And that is something to be feared be it round or square.
1992 LT40HD

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Darrel on November 03, 2017, 12:24:34 AM
Fantastic looking restoration!

I've run round heads and square heads and the only one that ever kicked was a round head. 8 ft 2x4 sent about 50 feet and stuck in a pack of lumber and had only dropped about a foot in that distance. And the problem was human error.

Can you elaborate further on the error and what happened?

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Andries on November 02, 2017, 11:08:32 PM
Quebecnewf - are the triangle shaped stacks the way you air dry your lumber?
. . . and is the A frame for shipping the planer to the mill site?
Keep the photos ands post coming - very interesting !

We pack triangle for drying lumber quite often . No stickers needed and it dries flat .

The a frame is the bedding for the gas engine .

Quebecnewf

Darrel

It was a 4 head moulder with a 4"x8" capacity that we were using to surface all four sides of 2x4s. For what ever reason, this particular board got stuck and wouldn't move and the power reverse wouldn't back it out. So being young and not really knowing any better I loosened up the hold downs and fences, And it still wouldn't move forward or backwards. I then raised the feed rollers and just like that the board was gone!  I could see it and then I couldn't. When the 2x4 disappeared, I did hear a funny noise however. There was a guy standing near the infeed end of the moulder and it missed him by only a couple of inches.  He didn't even know it had gone by!
1992 LT40HD

Don P

:D I did something similar with a 5 head machine. The shop I was working in had bought a 4 head through feed molder with a universal 5th head option bolted on the rear. It was a neat head, I could put it under, over, or on either side of the board. The last feed wheel was behind the 4th, top, head on the main machine and the 5th head was push fed from the stock behind it. I don't know what I was thinking, you know where this is going  :D. I set up a base cap cutter on the 5th head but had it climb cutting. When that first stick was pushed past the last feed wheel I had walked to the rear and had my hand lightly around the stick looking and feeling. The next thing I knew was there was kindling falling off the far wall and I had a couple of nice cuts across my hand... oops.

Quebecnewf

Have the motor mounted. It set on a hinged board and can be cranked up and down to tighten the belts. A poor mans clutch .

I still have to add some bracing and then once my belts arrive it should be good to go.

This frame will be removed when I move the unit to the sawmill then reinstalled once the planer is in place there.

Will run everything here in the workshop and if that test goes well it will be time to move .

Some 2x4x12 packed triangle for a contractor customer . He had never seen this method either. Was very impressed how straight and dry the lumber was when he came in to do the job .

They replaced this bridge with a new alum one. The 2x4 and 4x4 we cut was used for the cement form work on each end ..

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Belts have finally arrived . Should be making chips tomorrow , if all, goes well .

Wish me luck

Quebecnewf

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

fishfighter

Quebecnewf

My engine is a 15 hp Lifan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYYNzFvhDsU

Posted this short video of the first run of the old planer . Ran real smooth and quiet.

Very pleased

Quebecnewf

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

woodworker9

You did a very nice job rebuilding that planer and adapting it to the gas motor.

That machine is very similar to a 24" J.A. Fay  Co. 24" skip planer that I passed along to a friend who restored it for a working museum down in Georgia.  Very similar castings and adjustments.

Nice work!
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

ChugiakTinkerer

smiley_clapping

That's gorgeous!  Now what sort of wood crafting will that enable during the long winter?
Woodland Mills HM130

Planman1954

Maybe you could fabricate some type of sheet metal side guards? Those gears and belts could grab some lose clothing or a finger pretty quick.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

SlowJoeCrow

Wow, that is really nice!  Would it originally have had guards or shields around all the moving gears and flywheels?

woodworker9

Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on November 12, 2017, 06:53:21 AM
Wow, that is really nice!  Would it originally have had guards or shields around all the moving gears and flywheels?

No.  They did not come with guards.  There are copies of original brochures for machines of this vintage at the vintagemachinery.org website, and none of them, including my 1916 30" Whitney #32 planer, were manufactured with guards.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: woodworker9 on November 12, 2017, 10:55:09 PM
Quote from: SlowJoeCrow on November 12, 2017, 06:53:21 AM
No.  They did not come with guards.  There are copies of original brochures for machines of this vintage at the vintagemachinery.org website, and none of them, including my 1916 30" Whitney #32 planer, were manufactured with guards.
Yep, pre-OSHA and pre-Lawyers... ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Back in the old days I don't think any tools had guards.
I know my Cresent band saw had none.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

In those days they figured that if you weren't smart enough to keep yourself out of moving machinery, you weren't smart enough to use the body parts you lost.
1992 LT40HD

SlowJoeCrow

Don't let any hipsters run it!! :D :D

Crusarius

Those days were natural selection. I miss those days :)

Quebecnewf

Fabed up some anti kick back Pawls for the old planer. Gave them a test run. They work real well .

Quebecnewf

Darrel

Looks good!  I assume they are sharpened where they make contact with the lumber so they will dig in in the event of a kickback.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!